Author Topic: How could new pick protection rules influence the BKN 17 pick?  (Read 991 times)

How could new pick protection rules influence the BKN 17 pick?
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
According to Lowe (linked to through NESN here), new rules allow Boston to put protections on their 2017 swap with Brooklyn.

Think that impacts how or how quickly we use that pick? Even if it's, say, top-2 protected, it still holds a lot of value for a potential trade partner, but it guarantees us a shot at Fultz or Ball if Brooklyn doesn't slide.

http://nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-celtics-now-can-protect-nets-first-round-picks-in-trades/
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: How could new pick protection rules influence the BKN 17 pick?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Makes a deal for Butler a lot easier from C's view. If you phrase it as

Bulls receive rights to Nets 2017 "swap rights" pick that is owned by C's, top three protected. If pick fails to convey Bulls receives Wolves 2nd round pick and Nets 2018 first round pick, top overall protection.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:11:48 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Bulls revieve rights to Nets 2017 "swap rights" pick that is owned by C's, top three protected. If pick fails to convey Bulls receives Wolves 2nd round pick and Nets 2018 first round pick, top overall protection.

I corrected your proposal to make it much more of a gamble for the Bulls. Everybody loves Vegas, right!?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Bulls revieve rights to Nets 2017 "swap rights" pick that is owned by C's, top three protected. If pick fails to convey Bulls receives Wolves 2nd round pick and Nets 2018 first round pick, top overall protection.

I corrected your proposal to make it much more of a gamble for the Bulls. Everybody loves Vegas, right!?
Lol tp. But some times teams really do lose out on picks because they don't convey. It's not a bad deal though Nets pick ends at 4 or 5 they are getting a great player still.

AB, 4 pick*, Rozier, and Zeller for Butler. Is a deal that is fair for both teams.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think if we are protecting our pick and it falls within the protection then it moves to our pick the next season.  This is what just happened with Philly and the Lakers.   So if we protect this pick and we keep it, then next year it would be our pick and not the Brooklyn pick.  So its like our 2017 1st if not top 3 or our 2018 1st, which would be 25-30.  I am so on board with that type of protection but I can see another team wanting to pass on that.