Simmons or Fultz?

Simmons
13 (40.6%)
Fultz
15 (46.9%)
Lonzo Ball is a proven winner and I would take him over both guys
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Better prospect: Fultz or Simmons?  (Read 3699 times)

Better prospect: Fultz or Simmons?
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Hard to tell which of these guys is better Equipt to play on the next level considering neither has played a pro game yet. But if Simmons were put into this draft - who would you prefer 1st overall?

Re: Better prospect: Fultz or Simmons?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
My view is that Simmons would be our pick if he were in this draft based on position.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I mean, both of them have/had terrible records - that was one of the big knocks on Simmons coming out of college last year.

With his size, court awareness, and team needs (please don't lecture me on this), I would prefer Simmons pretty handily.

Perhaps create a poll for this topic(?)

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
For me it boils down to two things:

Simmons had a few episodes in college where he disappeared in games. Fultz has had a couple of tough games, but he didn't shrink from his role. You need your superstar to be a hardcore competitor.

Simmons has a bit higher ceiling, but he can't shoot at all yet. Fultz really doesn't have any holes in his game.

I'd prefer Fultz.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
My view is that Simmons would be our pick if he were in this draft based on position.

True but it would be hard to pass on a guy who projects as a James Harden/Damian Lillard hybrid for Simmons, who can't really shoot and isn't nearly as effective in a half court game, regardless of needs.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

True but it would be hard to pass on a guy who projects as a James Harden/Damian Lillard hybrid for Simmons, who can't really shoot and isn't nearly as effective in a half court game, regardless of needs.

You do have a good point. That's why I am not a GM - among other things  :laugh:

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

He would be a tremendous Celtic. Have been watching his games lately. The highlights don't do him justice, even though they are impressive. The guy never takes a play off.  Always boxes out (better than the current players on our team!!).  An excellent decision maker. Great passer.  Something old school about the way he plays, that just screams he would make a great Celtic.  His team-mates would love him. Would be fantastic playing along side Jaylen, too.

If not, Ball.  But the caveat with him is that we would probably have to trade some guys, maybe including Isaiah, to make him the quarterback of the team.  That is where his value is.   Special player.

If Fultz, I'd package in a trade for George.  Just don't see him contributing to more wins on this team.  He is very talented, and will probably put up great numbers, but just don't get a good vibe on him, especially the intangible stuff.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

He would be a tremendous Celtic. Have been watching his games lately. The highlights don't do him justice, even though they are impressive. The guy never takes a play off.  Always boxes out (better than the current players on our team!!).  An excellent decision maker. Great passer.  Something old school about the way he plays, that just screams he would make a great Celtic.  His team-mates would love him. Would be fantastic playing along side Jaylen, too.

If not, Ball.  But the caveat with him is that we would probably have to trade some guys, maybe including Isaiah, to make him the quarterback of the team.  That is where his value is.   Special player.

If Fultz, I'd package in a trade for George.  Just don't see him contributing to more wins on this team.  He is very talented, and will probably put up great numbers, but just don't get a good vibe on him, especially the intangible stuff.

TP. I keep forgetting how top heavy this draft is! The top 12 or 13 is just insane compared to most drafts.

From what I gather about Jackson, if he can put on 15-20 pounds and start hitting the three ball withh regularity he could be an all star before all these guys. There was another Jayhawk who played for the Celtics not too long ago who struggled shooting his freshman year and he turned out pretty good :D

Freshman year
Jackson: 36%3PT
Pierce: 30% 3PT

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Fultz all the way. I would consider a trade down with 76ers if they land 3rd and 5th to 6th pick to draft Jackson and Isaac

Smart, Brown, Jackson, Isaac, Zizic is some excellent guys to develop right behind the starters.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

Jackson has the "IT" factor

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

I'm also on the Jackson train. Looks better and better.

I don't like Ball too much. People seem to underrate how big the jump from college to NBA is. I'm not sure Ball's game will translate well to the NBA, and even if it does (which is entirely possible), I'm no fan of NBA offenses led by pass-first (or better, pass-only) guards.

Fultz looks as if he`s going through the motions, but he could simply not be interested in playing in college, and intentionally holding back as to not injure himself before his big payday.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

I don't like Ball too much. People seem to underrate how big the jump from college to NBA is. I'm not sure Ball's game will translate well to the NBA, and even if it does (which is entirely possible), I'm no fan of NBA offenses led by pass-first (or better, pass-only) guards.

Fultz looks as if he`s going through the motions, but he could simply not be interested in playing in college, and intentionally holding back as to not injure himself before his big payday.

Lonzo Ball is a lot more than a pass first point guard. He's one of the best 3 point shooters in the draft and a guy defenses relly have to be honest with.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

Lonzo Ball is a lot more than a pass first point guard. He's one of the best 3 point shooters in the draft and a guy defenses relly have to be honest with.

See, that`s what I mean. He´s one of the best 3pt-shooters in college.
He won't have nearly the time or space to make these awkward shots in the NBA. Real NBA defenders eat shots like that for breakfast.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

He won't have nearly the time or space to make these awkward shots in the NBA. Real NBA defenders eat shots like that for breakfast.

Have you seen how far out he takes his 3 point shots?  Steph Curry range, well beyond the NBA 3 point line. I see no issue on that front. I think the value of Ball is his ability to generate a run style offense, where guys like Brown will thrive, not so much Horford though. Also unclear how he would fit in with Isaiah.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Josh Jackson. 

Hoping Danny picks him.

He's a 6'6" point guard with range beyond the NBA 3 already at age 19.  I don't see that as getting "eaten up".

He is a pass first point guard, but doing so has made his teammates super efficient and is leading the most efficient offense in the country.  How efficient?  The gap in offensive efficiency between #1 UCLA and #2 Gonzaga is as wide as the gap from Gonzaga to #13 Notre Dame.  I'm also pretty confident that Lonzo could be scoring 30ppg if he wanted to be a scorer.

I can understanding you just not liking pass-first point guards as a personal preference.  But he is indeed pass-first as opposed to pass-only.  I think he will be closer to Steve Nash than Ricky Rubio.  I know that's high praise, but I believe it and he's not rated as a tier 1 prospect for nothing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur