Author Topic: Drummond puts the same eyes as IT  (Read 13411 times)

Re: Drummond puts the same eyes as IT
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How good is Drummond, really?

He's an amazing rebounder, but his finishing numbers are poor.  Some of that is shot selection / usage.  He's Tyson Chandler in the restricted area; he can't score from anywhere else.

He can't shoot free throws at all.  He doesn't get to the line very much for a player of his size and skillset.

Defensively, his steals are good, his block rate adequate.  I've heard mixed things about what the numbers say about his defensive impact as a rim protector.

I think Drummond is elite at some of the things he does well (rebound, finish at the basket, defend the interior), and pretty poor at the things he doesn't do well (shoot the ball from any distance, pass).  The key to getting the most out of him is to make it so that he's put in situations where his strengths are being utilized more than his weaknesses attacked, because his strengths can be dominant.

What I don't know is if the Celtics have the personnel to help enable this in a way that doesn't take too much away from what the team has already been doing well.  He's the best rebounder in the game, and I'm not sure there's a close second.  If he can be worked into the offense despite his limitations there, he very much could be a championship piece (depending on the price paid to acquire him.)

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Lol Drummond's Wikipedia page has him as a Boston Celtics player  :P

And Stein says Drummond IS being shopped but more to "gauge interest"

Sort of like another center two-three days ago...

Fwiw (not worth much), this is what it says on wiki...ummm...

Boston Celtics (2017–Present)[edit]
The Trade[edit]
On February 21st, 2017, Drummond was traded to the Boston Celtics in a three team deal which also involved the New York Knicks. In this deal, Andre Drummond, Carmelo Anthony, and Ish Smith were sent to the Boston Celtics. The Detroit Pistons received the Brooklyn Nets pick in the 2017 draft, Marcus Smart, and a 2018 second round pick from the Knicks. The Knicks received the Brooklyn Nets pick in 2018 draft, Averery Bradley, and Jae Crowder.

I would not be happy with these deals after what Cousins (and Ibaka, too) just went for.

Also..this is a hoax....see Avery's name is spelled incorrectly.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

He's an amazing rebounder, but his finishing numbers are poor.  Some of that is shot selection / usage.  He's Tyson Chandler in the restricted area; he can't score from anywhere else.

He can't shoot free throws at all.  He doesn't get to the line very much for a player of his size and skillset.

Defensively, his steals are good, his block rate adequate.  I've heard mixed things about what the numbers say about his defensive impact as a rim protector.

I think Drummond is elite at some of the things he does well (rebound, finish at the basket, defend the interior), and pretty poor at the things he doesn't do well (shoot the ball from any distance, pass).  The key to getting the most out of him is to make it so that he's put in situations where his strengths are being utilized more than his weaknesses attacked, because his strengths can be dominant.

What I don't know is if the Celtics have the personnel to help enable this in a way that doesn't take too much away from what the team has already been doing well.  He's the best rebounder in the game, and I'm not sure there's a close second.  If he can be worked into the offense despite his limitations there, he very much could be a championship piece (depending on the price paid to acquire him.)

Here's the thing with Drummond: he's not an actual good rim protector.  Yet.  He has all the physical tools to be one, but he just isn't.  The hope is that he'll be a good one eventually, but it's been four years and it hasn't happened yet.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The Trade[edit]
On February 21st, 2017, Drummond was traded to the Boston Celtics in a three team deal which also involved the New York Knicks. In this deal, Andre Drummond, Carmelo Anthony, and Ish Smith were sent to the Boston Celtics. The Detroit Pistons received the Brooklyn Nets pick in the 2017 draft, Marcus Smart, and a 2018 second round pick from the Knicks. The Knicks received the Brooklyn Nets pick in 2018 draft, Averery Bradley, and Jae Crowder.

I would not be happy with these deals after what Cousins (and Ibaka, too) just went for.

Dang, Danny must be updating wikipedia before he even tells the league (which is good, because the league would just ask him if he knew what "salary matching" meant/that $3.5 million is not within 25% of $22.5 million
I'm bitter.

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

The Trade[edit]

Also..this is a hoax....see Avery's name is spelled incorrectly.

Nah, they're just referring to Avery's younger brother Averery.  Avery, his older brother, Avy, and youngest brother, Avererery, will all be staying in Boston
I'm bitter.

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm going to go out on a limb and state with confidence:

Danny is NOT going to trade ALL of the following:

- Smart
- 2017 BRK
- 2018 BRK
- Bradley
- Crowder
- Brown

No matter what, the Celts are going to keep one or more (probably 2-3) of those assets.  Danny isn't going all-in just to come in second place, especially since doing so now will put the team in a tough spot a couple years down the road.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I'm all in on Drummond!    Young, 7 feet and rebounds.   

Pull the trigger.   Our team has played great basketball while missing parts due to injury at times.   

Send out the Boston 2018 1st, Memphis 1st and Clippers 1st.    Amir, Zeller.    And cross your fingers.   

Maybe we can find a 3rd team to take Zeller and one of those first for a player Detriot likes more.   

22 million for 5 years is
a lot.   But he's a unicorn.   To bad he can't hit his free throws.

So no starters/core players given up by us and no high draft picks.  Why would Detroit do this?  If you're "all in" make a realistic offer.  Come on now..

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

- Smart
- 2017 BRK
- 2018 BRK
- Bradley
- Crowder
- Brown

No matter what, the Celts are going to keep one or more (probably 2-3) of those assets.  Danny isn't going all-in just to come in second place, especially since doing so now will put the team in a tough spot a couple years down the road.

The most likely scenario is always that a big move doesn't happen, and I'd say moving any of those assets would qualify as "big."
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

- Smart
- 2017 BRK
- 2018 BRK
- Bradley
- Crowder
- Brown

Drummond isn't anywhere near good enough to merit a BRK pick.  Could see any other asset being involved though.

My gut feeling would be something like Amir + Bradley + 2018 Celtics 1st + 2019 Memphis 1st

Great words from a great man

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just to clarify, I do not in any way believe that the passage I posted is true. Phantom mentioned that his wiki page stated was on the Cs and I went ahead and checked it out.

That trade would be an utter disaster.

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Which brings us back to the question, "Does Drummond suffer from Okafor Syndrome?"

Defined on CelticsBlog as, "Any young player I hate, and particularly any young player who any of my favorite Celtics might be traded to acquire, cannot possibly improve any of their skills from what I currently define as their miserable levels."+
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like Drummond a lot, but having him in the game with 5 minutes left is a MAJOR ISSUE. 

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Just to clarify, I do not in any way believe that the passage I posted is true. Phantom mentioned that his wiki page stated was on the Cs and I went ahead and checked it out.

That trade would be an utter disaster.

Hoaxes need to have at least a semblance of reality
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

- Smart
- 2017 BRK
- 2018 BRK
- Bradley
- Crowder
- Brown

I would do the same but the last time I did...

He definitely pulled the 50/50 part out of his ***.  It's only 50/50 in the sense that it either happens or it doesn't. I'd put good money on him not being dealt to NO by the deadline and laugh all the way to the bank
I'm bitter.

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Which brings us back to the question, "Does Drummond suffer from Okafor Syndrome?"

Defined on CelticsBlog as, "Any young player I hate, and particularly any young player who any of my favorite Celtics might be traded to acquire, cannot possibly improve any of their skills from what I currently define as their miserable levels."+

Better than some of the syndromes other posters seem to have  ::).

Drummond is in his fifth year in the league, and his shooting percentages and assist rates are not statistically significantly different from his rookie year.  There comes a time when it's okay to accept a player for all the things he does well while acknowledging his imperfections are unlikely to improve in any useful way.