Author Topic: Zach Lowe Article  (Read 4791 times)

Re: Zach Lowe Article
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 01:10:36 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Good read, thanks for posting. TP.

Cliff notes: Butler probably isn't available, and if he is, Bulls want unequal value in a trade; Paul George isn't available; Griffin isn't available; Celtics assets are aging (core) and losing value every day (core, picks becoming players).  Sweet!

Cousins wasn't available 36 hours ago.

... and he was traded about 22 hours ago so..

I'm treading water here, dude.  Gotta protect my mental health till Thursday afternoon.

I'm with you. I was doing better, much better, with this year's trade deadline—not hoping for much, not asking for much, not stressing. Until I found out that NO got Cousins for a bag of balls.

I'm trying really hard to see this Danny's way, I really am. I don't want any headcases on this team, not really. And I know that Cousins has his issues. But dang, he's sooo talented. And his type of talent is what this team needs.

But, as Belichick says, it is what it is. It really seems like Danny's intent on keeping everything at a certain high standard—good culture and high character—and I totally support that and respect that.

No you do not, at least not totally.

I don't support and respect it? Is that what you mean? If so, what makes you say that? The fact that I wanted Cousins (for his talent) on this team?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Just saw this on RealGM

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244994/Teams-Can-Now-Place-Protections-On-Traded-Picks

Does this mean we could trade the 2018 nets pick with a gamble on Top 6 protected, with the rights to our own 2018 pick if not conveyed?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 01:53:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Cliff notes: Butler probably isn't available, and if he is, Bulls want unequal value in a trade; Paul George isn't available; Griffin isn't available; Celtics assets are aging (core) and losing value every day (core, picks becoming players).  Sweet!

Cousins wasn't available 36 hours ago.

... and he was traded about 22 hours ago so..

I'm treading water here, dude.  Gotta protect my mental health till Thursday afternoon.

I'm with you. I was doing better, much better, with this year's trade deadline—not hoping for much, not asking for much, not stressing. Until I found out that NO got Cousins for a bag of balls.

I'm trying really hard to see this Danny's way, I really am. I don't want any headcases on this team, not really. And I know that Cousins has his issues. But dang, he's sooo talented. And his type of talent is what this team needs.

But, as Belichick says, it is what it is. It really seems like Danny's intent on keeping everything at a certain high standard—good culture and high character—and I totally support that and respect that.

No you do not, at least not totally.

I don't support and respect it? Is that what you mean? If so, what makes you say that? The fact that I wanted Cousins (for his talent) on this team?

Truthfully did not want Cousins for his expected asking price and personality issues, but it got pretty [dang] exciting when he "finally became available" and the rumored packages were so weak. 

For a while now I've been an advocate for building through the BKN picks and long-term success, but if Cousins had at least come close to "fitting into the culture" of the team, he would've made us a hell of a lot better. 

And if he was that blindly loyal to SAC, why not to a well-run franchise that would fully embrace him upon returning to the ECF? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:05 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Lowe seems a bit hinky on this one.

First of all, citing "picks who have become players"???

1) James Young was the pick from when we accidentally overachieved and took a flyer on a child. That #17 pick can hardly be called an "asset". And of course setting aside that James looks like a real NBA player finally and seems to be still improving.

2) RJ - the Doc Rivers trade pick: well fine if you want to call the #28 pick an "asset" these days - fine. RJ was a victim of roster crunch and we went with the ceiling of Young, he was a victim of circumstances and was probably never going to fetch value back in a trade.

3) Yes, highish picks have become players overseas, but so what? They are under control and can be called in when required (i.e. when Zeller and Jerebko probably both move on at the end of this year)

4) Bradley's (and IT's) trade value is what it is, trading now for help who "could"  take us over Cleveland makes no difference to their contract discussions at the end of next year.

5) The Durant comparison. Just stop. Don't compare the current Celtics (i.e post Brooklyn trade) or even the 2018 Celtics to OKC situation. They were just wasted key taps, Zach. I'm not going to bother explaining - it should be obvious.

Everything else he says is fine, including discussions of Indy and Butler...

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Sigh.......

Well the only member of our core that is "aging" in a losing value sense MIGHT be Horford. IT4 has legitimate concerns about one day starting to decline (in a couple of years) but Crowder, and AB aren't even close to aging out. I don't understand the first comment haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Sigh.......

Well the only member of our core that is "aging" in a losing value sense MIGHT be Horford. IT4 has legitimate concerns about one day starting to decline (in a couple of years) but Crowder, and AB aren't even close to aging out. I don't understand the first comment haha.
Bradley is always hurt and continues to be hurt.  His value is the lowest it has been in awhile until he comes back healthy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Always good information from Lowe. He seems pretty pessimistic about the Celtics getting one of the big names but it's not like he or anyone else was predicting the Cousins trade. Anything is possible.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008