Author Topic: Zach Lowe Article  (Read 4792 times)

Zach Lowe Article
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18727231/zach-lowe-jimmy-butler-boston-celtics-latest-nba-trade-deadline-talk‬

Great Article. Slyly throws in that we've talked to the clips about Blake, and also answered the question if BKN pick can be protected, and it can. Good stuff here

Re: Zach Lowe Article
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Is Lowe right when he says the Celtics can add PG13 OR Butler... and still have enough cap space to sign a max FA like, say, Griffin or Hayward or Millsap if they renounce rights to everyone and just let every FA walk away..?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:48 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
The way I see it we are close to having room for a max contract now, if we acquire one of those two in a trade, and send out matching salary, our cap room will remain the same.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is Lowe right when he says the Celtics can add PG13 OR Butler... and still have enough cap space to sign a max FA like, say, Griffin or Hayward or Millsap if they renounce rights to everyone and just let every FA walk away..?
I think in order to do it the Celtics would have to trade salary that was expect to be on the team next year. So Bradley and Crowder would probably have to be part of the package. Might also help to send the rights to Yabu so that he isn't a cap hold. I am not completely sure but if we did that we would be at least close to being able to offer a max to Hayward. Of course that means you lose KO, Zeller, Jerebko, Amir, and Young.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Good read, thanks for posting. TP.

Cliff notes: Butler probably isn't available, and if he is, Bulls want unequal value in a trade; Paul George isn't available; Griffin isn't available; Celtics assets are aging (core) and losing value every day (core, picks becoming players).  Sweet!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Cliff notes: Butler probably isn't available, and if he is, Bulls want unequal value in a trade; Paul George isn't available; Griffin isn't available; Celtics assets are aging (core) and losing value every day (core, picks becoming players).  Sweet!

Cousins wasn't available 36 hours ago.

... and he was traded about 22 hours ago so..

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I'm treading water here, dude.  Gotta protect my mental health till Thursday afternoon.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Sigh.......

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:49:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm treading water here, dude.  Gotta protect my mental health till Thursday afternoon.

Thursday 2:59 PM:

WOJ BOMB: "Celtics have acquired.. PJ Tucker"

I mean I wouldn't mind that but considering all the rumors/threads on here...  :P

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I mean I wouldn't mind that but considering all the rumors/threads on here...  :P

Same, it'd be cool for one to come through, and Tucker fits our culture well.  May be tough to find him adequate mins though. He's logging a ton in PHO.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:20 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Same, it'd be cool for one to come through, and Tucker fits our culture well.  May be tough to find him adequate mins though. He's logging a ton in PHO.

Would love to have two of Tucker, TJones, Okafor, KOQ.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He's technically correct, but practically, this is not true.  If the Celtics sent out the Brookyln pick, Crowder, and Bradley, released anyone who's contract wasn't guaranteed, and let everyone who's a free agent walk, they'd still be $1.4 million short of max room with George, and $1.3 million short with Butler.  So, sure, if they trade Crowder, Bradley, the Brooklyn pick, and the rights to Yab, they'd have room.  But that's not happening (although it would certainly net them either George or Butler!)

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
The way I see it we are close to having room for a max contract now, if we acquire one of those two in a trade, and send out matching salary, our cap room will remain the same.

Not really. If we send out Amir and/or Zeller for one of those guys, those are contracts that are expiring, hence the max cap room. Butler and George are signed on for next year, so if you trade say, Jaylen, Rozier, Zeller, Jerebko and Nets 17 for one of those guys and an add on, your losing like 24$Million in next years cap room but taking on someone who fills 18$M of that cap for next year leaves you with 6M$ in open cap space. Much less than the 14M$ you would've had by not doing that trade and not resigning Zeller and Jerebko.

It's hard to find a way where we can trade for one of those guys and still have cap room for a max level FA. We'd at least have to trade Bradley and Crowder, lose KO in RFA and not re-sign Amir, Zeller Jerebko and probably two of Mickey/Jackson/Young. George is a perfect fit for this team if we still have a core of IT/Smart or Bradley/Crowder/Horford. Find a way to keep Jaylen and We'd be one above average big away from a true contender. I'd rather go that route than hit the core for a "big four" of IT/George/ Hayward /Horford and a super thin roster around them.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 12:34:26 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm with you. I was doing better, much better, with this year's trade deadline—not hoping for much, not asking for much, not stressing. Until I found out that NO got Cousins for a bag of balls.

I'm trying really hard to see this Danny's way, I really am. I don't want any headcases on this team, not really. And I know that Cousins has his issues. But dang, he's sooo talented. And his type of talent is what this team needs.

But, as Belichick says, it is what it is. It really seems like Danny's intent on keeping everything at a certain high standard—good culture and high character—and I totally support that and respect that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I'm with you. I was doing better, much better, with this year's trade deadline—not hoping for much, not asking for much, not stressing. Until I found out that NO got Cousins for a bag of balls.

I'm trying really hard to see this Danny's way, I really am. I don't want any headcases on this team, not really. And I know that Cousins has his issues. But dang, he's sooo talented. And his type of talent is what this team needs.

But, as Belichick says, it is what it is. It really seems like Danny's intent on keeping everything at a certain high standard—good culture and high character—and I totally support that and respect that.

No you do not, at least not totally.