Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas With ANOTHER "Interesting" Tweet  (Read 36703 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas With An "Interesting" Tweet
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No way in a million years would I take Hayward over Melo...

Melo will be retiring in 3-4 years and Hayward will be peaking.

« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2017, 06:40:20 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

*sigh*

Celticsblog mentality here we go again.

One of the most talented and most clutch scorers of the past decade (and still is today)  but sure - he sucks.

Right, "Celticsblog mentality".

Care to remind me when Melo was clutch, because I think his career is littered with underachievements and missed big shots (except for Team USA, where he`s playing with a bunch of All-Stars against second rate competition)?

He`s the prototype for "all hype, no wins".

Lebron wants him in Cleveland, Wade wants him in Chicago - but sure, he sucks.  I mean, what does do those guys know?  They only have about 6 championships between them.

So, about as much as Jordan?

Maybe it has to do with the fact they`re all buddy-buddy with each other?
I haven't checked the last couple years but Melo had one of the best all time clutch shooting % in the last minute of one possession games in front of guys like Paul pierce ray Allen and Kobe so yeah he has proven to be pretty clutch, he has never had a team good enough to make a finals run so I can't judge him there.

He was pretty clutch in the NCAA tourney in his day, guy can ball.

But the team with Amare, Chandler, JR Smith, Shumpert, Felton together with Melo should have done more than they did.

You've got to be kidding me,  right?

Amare is the only other guy on that last who was anything more then a good role player.

Tyson Chandler was basically a better Kendrick Perkins minus the angry.   He was a good starter,  nothing more.

Smith has always been a scrub, Felton is a nobody, and Shumpert is was a poor man's  version of a poor man's Avery Bradley.

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2017, 06:42:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IT4 plus Crowders strange behavior ... My crystal ball reads

1st trade
To Clippers: Crowder,  Rozier, Amir, Yabu , all 2017 2nds,  2018 nets 1st (option to swap)

To Celtics: Griffin, fillers

2nd trade

To Suns: Young, Zeller
To Celtics: Pj Tucker, Barbosa

Lineup

Horford
Griffin
Brown
AB/Smart
IT4

KO
Jerebko
Tucker
Green
Jackson/Barbosa

« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2017, 06:43:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Melo will be retiring in 3-4 years along with Horford,  leaving is a big chunk of Cap space.

Hayward will never be close to as good as a Melo in his prime, and in 3-4 years hell be holding the team back with a rediculously overpaid contract that horribly outweighs his talent. Hayward is the Al Horford of Small Forwards.  Pretty good at lots of things, great at nothing.

« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Chillax,
no way Crowder gives just Melo as the best return.
He would already be out of NY if he had even 50% of that value.
If Crowder is going away we will get PG3 or Butler to Boston.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2017, 06:55:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Chillax,

With all due respect, I think you overstate the value of Crowder.

Hes a 6'6' SF whos averaging 14 PPG and is an above average defender.  He's a very nice complimentary young player, but he's no star and there isn't much risk that he ever will be. He's basically Michael Pietrus 2.0

Combine Crowder with a Brooklyn pick and sure, you'd expect more then Melo in return.   

But if crowder is the most valuable asset you're giving up, then expecting more then Melo in return would be wishful thinking.

« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:52 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

*sigh*

One of the most talented and most clutch scorers of the past decade (and still is today)  but sure - he sucks.

Care to remind me when Melo was clutch, because I think his career is littered with underachievements and missed big shots (except for Team USA, where he`s playing with a bunch of All-Stars against second rate competition)?

Lebron wants him in Cleveland, Wade wants him in Chicago - but sure, he sucks.  I mean, what does do those guys know?  They only have about 6 championships between them.

I haven't checked the last couple years but Melo had one of the best all time clutch shooting % in the last minute of one possession games in front of guys like Paul pierce ray Allen and Kobe so yeah he has proven to be pretty clutch, he has never had a team good enough to make a finals run so I can't judge him there.

But the team with Amare, Chandler, JR Smith, Shumpert, Felton together with Melo should have done more than they did.

Amare is the only other guy on that last who was anything more then a good role player.

Tyson Chandler was basically a better Kendrick Perkins minus the angry.   He was a good starter,  nothing more.

Smith has always been a scrub, Felton is a nobody, and Shumpert is was a poor man's  version of a poor man's Avery Bradley.

I didn't say they should have taken the C'ship, but most of those players were at their prime. I think you're overreacting a bit. You can't say Amare never was a good player. He had some great years with Suns where he was their best player together with Nash.
 They were all more than good role players and together with Melo they could and should have done more.
Perhaps, Mike D'Antoni was the reason.

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

We're not talking 3-4 years. Even right now Melo is still a better player than Hayward.

Prime melo vs prime hayward the gap is even larger.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Chillax,

With all due respect, I think you overstate the value of Crowder.

He's a 6'6' SF whos averaging 14 PPG and is an above average defender.  He's a very nice complimentary young player, but he's no star and there isn't much risk that he ever will be. He's basically Michael Pietrus 2.0

Combine Crowder with a Brooklyn pick and sure, you'd expect more then Melo in return.   

But if crowder is the most valuable asset you're giving up, then expecting more then Melo in return would be wishful thinking.

You have to evaluate the worth of the whole contract before evaluating further trade implications.
Crowder's contract is probably top 5 in the NBA. Why? It is long (predictable and useful in team building projections) and cheap. Usually, 7 million per year contracts are given to bench players. Crowder outplays that value since he is a starter level player. Also in today's NBA 30 out of 30 teams would pay that value to get that product on the floor and even more importantly his skillset would be welcomed by all of those 30 teams. Including GSW IMO. His value is stable, he is coachable, team player, he didn't have any severe injuries and there is even a small possibility he gets a bit better in the next 2 years.
That is is why.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Friday can't come soon enough, trade or no trade. I legit made a pot of coffee and have proceeded to refresh Twitter and Celticsblog about 1,000,000 times in an hour. I have no idea how I'm going to function at work with all these rumors!!!

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

*sigh*

I didn't say they should have taken the C'ship, but most of those players were at their prime. I think you're overreacting a bit. You can't say Amare never was a good player. He had some great years with Suns where he was their best player together with Nash.
 They were all more than good role players and together with Melo they could and should have done more.
Perhaps, Mike D'Antoni was the reason.
They lost in the second round to an up and coming pacers team who would go on to win 56 games the next season with the same core so slightly disappointing but understandable, not like they had a chance against the heat. And to blame melo for that loss when he averaged 28.5 and over 7 rebounds while your boy jr spliff couldn't shoot over 30% your boy amare stoudemire was averaging 8 points a game. http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2013-nba-eastern-conference-semifinals-pacers-vs-knicks.html

I'm not the biggest melo fan in the world but dude can ball dude is a winner and the dude has never had a team, don't let your emotions cloud your judgement.

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Hypothetically if we did trade for Melo, that would end all other possibilities of trading for somebody else like Butler or Blake right? We wouldn't have the cap space for it?

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am not sure how a deal for Melo could be put together but I am OK with adding Melo to our current core of Thomas + Horford.  It would take a miracle to beat Cleveland or GSW with that team but I feel we would be right there with anyone else (assuming we don't give up too much).

In terms of the long term, I am not going to pass on a deal today because we might be able to get Gordon Hayward next season.  I would pass on a deal if it meant giving up too much of our core young assets (Smart, Brown, BKN picks)  though.  That isn't to say these are untouchable for the right deal .  We probably don't need to give up any of them for Melo.

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Willing to include Bradley, Crowder, Zeller in deals for a Butler or George. Would work hard to avoid giving up the 2017 nets pick

In reality I think it will be a small move..like for a Bogut or PJ Tucker. Nothing big enough to get Boston out of the East. Think Ainge is waiting Cleveland out when they are hit with a cap crisis.

Adding a Ball, Fultz or Jackson to a their current roster would ensure a great young foundation..but Boston needs another max player going into next season...

« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Hypothetically if we did trade for Melo, that would end all other possibilities of trading for somebody else like Butler or Blake right? We wouldn't have the cap space for it?
cap space doesn't matter for trades
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip