Author Topic: Please Danny do NOT trade Smart  (Read 2908 times)

Please Danny do NOT trade Smart
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He is finally coming along on the offensive end. He can be a floor general on both sides of the ball.Also an emotional leader.

He is our PG of the future IMO. Can guard 1-4, his stroke is coming along nicely as well as his playmaking ability avg 5 APG. He has become almost automatic at the ft line lately.

I love IT, but he relies so much on speed and quickness, will he be the same player 3 or 4 years from now, and are we going to tie up a max contract on a 30 yr old IT?

I think Smart is almost as untouchable as anyone on the team.

Re: Please Danny do NOT trade Smart
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He is finally coming along on the offensive end. He can be a floor general on both sides of the ball.Also an emotional leader.

He is our PG of the future IMO. Can guard 1-4, his stroke is coming along nicely as well as his playmaking ability avg 5 APG. He has become almost automatic at the ft line lately.

I love IT, but he relies so much on speed and quickness, will he be the same player 3 or 4 years from now, and are we going to tie up a max contract on a 30 yr old IT?

He's untouchable in my book.

Tp!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:37:23 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Un-f'ing -touchable.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This is a guy I hope we never trade.  I don't know what you have to do to get around that but Smart should be like timpiker said, untouchable.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart is untouchable until he turns 34.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Smart is untouchable until he turns 34.

Yea, then we can ship him off.  But I have a feeling we'd be singing his retirement as a Celtic and probably wouldn't want to let him go.  I like this kid a lot.  If I'm to chose anyone on the team to stay long term, it's him.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:52:15 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19

I agree that I hope he's not traded but I think it's a stretch to call him untouchable. If some team is willing to do a ridiculous deal like Sacramento just did whereas we can have a bonafide superstar for Smart and a draft pick , i'm all for pulling that trigger. ie if the salary worked and we could get Derozan in exchange for smart. I'd be p---ed if that trade isn't made. As far as i'm concerned the only 2 guys that should be on the "untouchable" list are IT & Horford.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Easily my favorite player since Paul Pierce. I hope he's not traded, but I'd understand.
- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I love the guy but come on, he is still too limited offensively to be labeled untouchable.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I love the guy but come on, he is still too limited offensively to be labeled untouchable.

He's put up games of 18/5rebs/5ast/5stls twice in the past month. He may not be a consistent scorer, but given the chance to run the show, I could easily see him put up 18ppg,8apg and elite defense.

If we are getting a superstar back fine, but I consider that a top 10 player( don't consider Butler that, maybe PG13)

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

He's put up games of 18/5rebs/5ast/5stls twice in the past month. He may not be a consistent scorer, but given the chance to run the show, I could easily see him put up 18ppg,8apg and elite defense.

If we are getting a superstar back fine, but I consider that a top 10 player( don't consider Butler that, maybe PG13)

It's not even that.  It's not that at all.  What he does, you can't quantify it.  The feel of the game is even different with him in it.  I haven't felt so good watching a player play the game of basketball in a long time.  It's a joy watching him play.

You could literally feel his passion oozing through his skin as he argues with our assistant coach on the sidelines [forgot his name].  I was like...that's it.  He plays a throwaway game as if it's the playoffs.  He cares.  He cares.  You can't fake that.

The fact that he's young and has suffered a family tragedy losing his brother, who loved basketball just as well, makes him do what he does and makes it more glorious.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:08:32 PM by Clench123 »

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
He's averaging 10 pts a game.

His FG % is .375

His 3% is .311

He averages 2 steals per 36 minutes.

I think he's tradable. 

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

His FG % is .375

His 3% is .311

I think he's tradable.

Every player is tradeable, the problem is do you regret the trade. Google Chauncey Billups.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

His FG % is .375

His 3% is .311

I think he's tradable.

Every player is tradeable, the problem is do you regret the trade. Google Chauncey Billups.
Everyone is tradeable.  As long ad you get equal value and it helps the team then you don't look back.  The issue, I guess, is determining his value.  I agree that it might be slightly higher than his numbers would suggest but not that much higher.  He'll likely never be more than a very mediocre offensive player so his value is certainly limited.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
and therein lies the rub, yes?

if the very short sample of shooting since december 23rd is indicative of improved shooting by smart going forward, his value goes up tremendously.

if smart can average 16 points a game he is a star, clearly.

dennis johnson averaged 14.1 points a game over his career, only three times averaging more than 16 points. i can see smart doing something akin to that.

but it is still too soon to know whether the recent improvement is here to stay.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva