Author Topic: is the NBA All Star game a joke?  (Read 2414 times)

is the NBA All Star game a joke?
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
The highest winning scores of the all star game have been the last 3 years - 163, 163 and this years 196.

The game has always been relatively high scoring but it has reached ridiculous heights with yesterdays winning score of 196 points.

I refuse to watch the game...can't recall when I last watched the all star game because no one even attempts to play defense.   There is absolutely no team defense either obviously.

I also quit watching the NFL all star game but noticed this year the score was a low scoring affair with (surprise) defensive players actually making tackles and covering receivers.  I enjoyed the game which I did watch for the first time in years.

I wish the NBA could do something to make the game worth watching by asking the players to attempt to play some defense, but it won't happen.

MikeB

Re: is the NBA All Star game a joke?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
All-star games in any sport are kinda silly. Football's is irrelevant. Baseball has tried too hard to make theirs relevant, and in the process sometimes hurts the best regular-season team (as with this year's Cubs).

They should just name their all-stars and then give everyone 3 or 4 days off. But that won't happen, because that would cost them money.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Players have largely accepted the mentality that they should enjoy the recognition, just have fun, and not get injured. There absolutely no incentive for them to play hard. If the league did what MLB does for example and base home court advantage in the finals on the conference that wins the all-star game, things would change. Heck, even a moderate financial bonus to the players on the winning side would have a big impact. These guys would play for pride if they had money on the line.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
It's just the players today, the starters and superstars who set the tone for the game are very buddy-buddy and many have already played in enough games such that the competition of it doesn't matter.  I feel like Lebron used to compete before he got into his 11th 12th 13th ASG...  Kobe used to compete pretty much all the way til he retired...  Curry and Harden are more the highlight type rather than the defense type even in their normal regular season style of ball...

If the 2019 ASG somehow featured starters (closers, really) of: Wall, Giannis, Butler, Paul George, and Ben Simmons against Westbrook, Wiggins, Kawhi, Durant, Ant Davis I think we would see a more competitive game.  No chance that happens, but my example is more to speak to my feeling the lax style of the game is to blame more on who the ASG starters happen to be at this moment rather than an indictment on the game itself.  You're going to see 3 quarters of pickup ball, but really we just want to see real basketball in the 4th quarter which I think those starters (closers) would provide.  The closers now just follow the tone set by Lebron and Steph.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The day Karl Malone set a pick for Kobe and Kobe waived him off to take on MJ one on one. That was the day the All Star game changed.

Stopped being a game and became a show. It became ESPNicized. I just made a word.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Absolute joke.  What is messed up is how it has some impact on how much money they can make

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:14 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Not a joke when IT4 and Brad Stevens is/was covertly recruiting other players to the Celtics  ;D ;D ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
It always was. But previous years it was a good joke.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:26 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I understand players don't want to get injured and all of that but then just don't make a game if it is to show this.

I wish I had the opinion of Adam Silver on the matter, because now even some players are starting to say they want to see more (some ?) defense. And I'm pretty sure that the All-star game will start to lose audience as time goes by. Honestly what's the point of the game ?

I believe players just don't have the pride of representing their conference. Maybe the game needs some kind of winning price for the confenrence who wins it...

Also, the dunk contest sucks. Today there are professional dunkers who do waaaaay better and you see these dunks everywhere on internet or even at the half-time of the all-star events.

I really just think it's a promotional week-end who gives players some rest, nothing more.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Back when Red got ejected coaching the All Star game is when the games were real.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yes, they only play half the game (offense).  The players let us fans down.

ASG used to have real competition.  Especially in the 2nd half, the competitive juices would flow and each team actually tried to win.  This was the Bird-Magic-Jordan era.  Those guys had too much pride in their craft to slack off on defense.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
The highest winning scores of the all star game have been the last 3 years - 163, 163 and this years 196.

The game has always been relatively high scoring but it has reached ridiculous heights with yesterdays winning score of 196 points.

I refuse to watch the game...can't recall when I last watched the all star game because no one even attempts to play defense.   There is absolutely no team defense either obviously.

I also quit watching the NFL all star game but noticed this year the score was a low scoring affair with (surprise) defensive players actually making tackles and covering receivers.  I enjoyed the game which I did watch for the first time in years.

I wish the NBA could do something to make the game worth watching by asking the players to attempt to play some defense, but it won't happen.

MikeB
i think "farce" is the word you are looking for.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

MikeB
i think "farce" is the word you are looking for.

They should adopt the Harlem globetrotters model: whichever conference is winning at the break gets to be the trotters. The Washington Generals have to play the part in good faith, embarrassing their corporate sponsors.

Alternatively, expand the skills challenges (and only 'all-stars' can participate)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.