Author Topic: Convince Me Butler Gets Us Past Cleveland...  (Read 5439 times)

Re: Convince Me Butler Gets Us Past Cleveland...
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Are we talking a Cavs team without Love? Because if Love can't come back, or comes back at 75%...
we have a shot.

Keep in mind it sounds like we're discounting Toronto and Washington and I wouldn't.

Oh...and Drummond doesn't fit the style the C's play on offense.

Not all styles just magically fit together because they're available for trade. IT's game completely changes with Drummond in the lineup.

We're not discounting TOR and WAS certainly, but I'd assume adding Butler solidifies us at #2 in the East.

Now if Love it out the rest of the season, that could change things.

But we certainly aren't beating the Warriors, though that's a whole different story and something we shouldn't be thinking about much now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Are we talking a Cavs team without Love? Because if Love can't come back, or comes back at 75%...
we have a shot.

Keep in mind it sounds like we're discounting Toronto and Washington and I wouldn't.

Not all styles just magically fit together because they're available for trade. IT's game completely changes with Drummond in the lineup.

We're not discounting TOR and WAS certainly, but I'd assume adding Butler solidifies us at #2 in the East.

But we certainly aren't beating the Warriors, though that's a whole different story and something we shouldn't be thinking about much now.

Us even getting in the ECF is two steps taken forward from last season, I'll worry about the Warriors if and when.

But playing in the finals, or getting by the Cavs puts us in that position where experienced all-stars that want to compete for a ring, players like KG and Ray did start looking at us in a different light.

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If you want the C's to put up a good fight you get Butler or Paul George. People in the media like to rag on the C's for not picking one of these guys up already but to put it simply those same people are not invested in seeing the C's win they just want to watch LeBron add to his legacy. They want things to be more fun for the now, and where the C's end up in 5 years be [dang]ed. We shouldn't give in to that sort of pressure, I know Ainge won't.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If you want the C's to put up a good fight you get Butler or Paul George. People in the media like to rag on the C's for not picking one of these guys up already but to put is simply those same people are not invested in seeing the C's win they just want to watch LeBron add to his legacy.
I think its more that they just want a more interesting Eastern Conference playoffs.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
we have a shot.

Us even getting in the ECF is two steps taken forward from last season, I'll worry about the Warriors if and when.

But playing in the finals, or getting by the Cavs puts us in that position where experienced all-stars that want to compete for a ring, players like KG and Ray did start looking at us in a different light.
Exactly if you can get even close to getting to the ECF or a chance at a Finals you go for it, we'd have a shot with PG if we kept most of the core

Get it done
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If you want the C's to put up a good fight you get Butler or Paul George. People in the media like to rag on the C's for not picking one of these guys up already but to put is simply those same people are not invested in seeing the C's win they just want to watch LeBron add to his legacy.
I think its more that they just want a more interesting Eastern Conference playoffs.

Right, I edited the post a bit.

But like you said, they just want things to be more exciting, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the C's are going to be expected to dethroned James and be the new challengers wearing the Eastern crown. All this pressure to trade is for a good show, not necessarily to see the C's be the new protagonist.

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If Kevin Love remains hurt, the Celtics have a slight chance of beating the Cavs. If they add Butler, that slight chance increases.

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Butler is capable not only of slowing down Lebron on offense,  but he's also capable of making him work hard on defence.  Not many players out there who can do both,  and that's a huge weapon against Cleveland. Especially now that Lebton is getting to his 30s and has more wear on those tyres...making him work hard for everuthibg, every night,  is the best way to beat him.

Kyrie is not as good as IT4 on offense, and isnt much better on defence either, so Thomas should win that matchup most nights. He'll also demand doubles because no way Kyrie can defend him on his own.

Horford isn't quite as good as love offensively,  but he's a lot better defensively.   About equal matchup,  but if love is hurt that matchup goes massively in Boston's favour.

Crowder and Bradley are both far netter all round players them Korver, and Boston has a better coach and probably a better bench. 

Cleveland also have chemistry issues, and seem to be emotoonally falling apart at the seams.

With Butker, Boston has a very real chance of knocking the Cavs off in a 7 game series.  Very real. 

The core of Thomas, Bradley|Crowder,  Butler and Horford is also a pretty solid match for Curry, Thompson,  Durant and Green.

I mean the Warriors do have the edge with that Thompson vs Bradley|Crowder matchup, but the overall matchup advantage isnt as heavily in the Warrior's favour as people might think.  We probably lose, but we could give them a very tough run.

With the team constructed as it currently is,  even beating the Cavs is highly unlikely.  Crowder isnt enough of an offensive threat to really make Lebron ise any effort on defense, so he can cruise on D and preserve his energy for destroying us on offense.  This way Thomas and Horford need to collectively dominate Kyrie and Love every night just to give us a fightibg chance.

Butler's presence makes all the difference.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:47:25 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I cant

I can't either, because I don't think he is a enough of an upgrade over Bradley to cover our huge weakness on the defensive glass.

Plus if they want Crowder... Same thing, not a huge improvement at the end.

And it's Bradley/Smart included too in the package.

Yep.  And this is why Ainge won't make the deal and that is the right move.

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 06:44:44 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'd rather keep Crowder and sign a free agent big this summer.

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 07:10:56 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Forget Butler and the crazy demands to gte him.

We would be MUCH better trading for Okafor and exploiting his perceived value. Okafor is the guy who would help us most in the playoffs against the more elite teams.

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

We would be MUCH better trading for Okafor and exploiting his perceived value. Okafor is the guy who would help us most in the playoffs against the more elite teams.
not this year he wouldnt.

Okafor is a project.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Okafor is almost completely useless to this team right now.  He's just not a good basketball player.

I'm a few years who knows.  But right now he's really quite garbage. Genuine D League material.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:34:49 AM by crimson_stallion »