Author Topic: From Blog A Bull, Is This Trade Idea Something You'd Consider?  (Read 5827 times)

Re: From Blog A Bull, Is This Trade Idea Something You'd Consider?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Basically, in a deal for Butler I'm keeping Smart, 2017 Nets, Brown, Thomas, Crowder, Horford, and Olynyk.

I'd be willing to talk about any of the other assets.

I'm with you except for KO.

What about top-2 protecting the 2017 pick? And if it's top 2, they get the 2018 pick and maybe another pick.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Basically, in a deal for Butler I'm keeping Smart, 2017 Nets, Brown, Thomas, Crowder, Horford, and Olynyk.

What about top-2 protecting the 2017 pick? And if it's top 2, they get the 2018 pick and maybe another pick.

I think he wants to protect Olynyk because in a trade for Butler Amir or Zeller would have to be included. We cannot lose two bigs for a SF, unless we got Gibson or Robin López.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
So we have no interest in MCW or Canaan. Both are either bench or end of bench guys. MCW won ROTY because he played on a pathetic Sixers squad and the other 5 good players from that draft hadn't been given that chance yet or hadn't adjusted to the NBA. MCW isn't in the top-10 players from that weak draft, he might not even be top-15.

Canaan is struggling to find time as a shooter on a woefully poor shooting Bulls team (29/30).

Similarly I'll ignore the Amir/JJ and 2nd rounders as fodder that gets trades completed. None of the guys ancillary included in the deal have long-term salary so this deal boils down to:

Smart + '17 BKN + '19 MEM

I'd argue that is a great pick, a likely lottery pick and a really good young prospect (I personally view Smart that way).

My gut reaction is to push back and remove the Memphis pick. I think that pick holds more value than people give it credit for. What I would consider is subbing the pick in for Smart. You either get Smart + '17 BKN or the '17 BKN and '19 MEM.

Alternatively, I'd try to get Philly involved to try to save trading our core players. Something like:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jerfg9j

Chicago gets: '17 BKN, '19 MEM and Okafor
C's get: Butler, Gibson
Philly gets: AB

I wouldn't swap Okafor for Bradley straight up, but I'd consider making this kind of a swap if Chicago were more interested in Okafor than we are (they seem to be).

This seems like a reasonable return for Butler. One great pick, one good pick and the #3 overall from last year. That is significantly more than what SAC got for Cousins, on every front.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Nope. 
Smart and Fultz too much for Butler.   
Smart and Jackson too much for Butler
Smart and Ball too much for Butler

I might not even do Smart and Monk (allowing to use AB in another way...for what's really needed, big man help).

Most trades for Butler (ones Chicago would actually accept) just aren't worth it. 

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think folks here ready to give up 2017 Brooklyn pick need to study draft more. We have about a 65% chance of landing top 3 pick. Top 3 in this draft is more value than Butler. I see Butler as a nice complimentary piece.  Guys like Jackson and Ball (not sure about Fultz) have much higher ceiling than that.

Keep pick. Draft Jackson.
Complimentary piece is insulting to Butler.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
No. Wouldn't consider it. Smart is not going anywhere. Sorry. He's got big time potential and he's just barely sniffing it.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Bradley, Rozier, 2018 Nets.. That's the basis of what I'd offer for Butler.  Amir or Zeller as filler.

Other than that, I'd be willing to talk about other non-BRK 1sts and prospects other than Smart and Brown as sweeteners.

I'd include Crowder and take out 2018 Nets but Bulls would not agree. You may be close to what Danny would offer. There is an element of risk in 2018 pick absent from 2017 pick.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I suppose, but I think we're getting too complicated in that case.  They can have the 2018 pick.  I'm keeping 2017.

As for KO, Dario has it right -- KO is obviously not "untouchable" for me, but I feel like we need to hold onto useful role players (i.e. Smart and KO) in order to contend with the new core after trading for a guy like Butler.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bradley, Rozier, 2018 Nets.. That's the basis of what I'd offer for Butler.  Amir or Zeller as filler.

Other than that, I'd be willing to talk about other non-BRK 1sts and prospects other than Smart and Brown as sweeteners.

I'd include Crowder and take out 2018 Nets but Bulls would not agree. You may be close to what Danny would offer. There is an element of risk in 2018 pick absent from 2017 pick.

I don't think you can offer both Bradley and Crowder.  Celts have to keep one of those guys.  Finding a replacement two-way wing will not be easy or affordable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I would absolutely do that deal, but I would try to include Bradley instead of Smart.  Hopefully they'd take Bradley+Rozier in place of Smart

This. TP. I wonder if Chicago bites.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I would absolutely do that deal, but I would try to include Bradley instead of Smart.  Hopefully they'd take Bradley+Rozier in place of Smart

This. TP. I wonder if Chicago bites.
This.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Butler's game replaces Smart's more seamlessly than anyone else. He can cover 2's, 3's and even 4's in spots just like Smart, and he's got significant playmaking and ball-handling skills. He's a much better scorer. He's also got perfect size to play the 3 spot, so he can replace Crowder's minutes too, although he has much different skills on offense.

Butler does not in any way do what Bradley does. No one else on our roster can either, unless you want to count Rozier (which I don't recommend). He does not stretch the floor on offense and he can't cover elite point guards. Even Marcus struggles covering those guys.

I think if Ainge feels he has to make this move, he would part with Crowder but probably not Smart or Brown, and probably the 18 Brooklyn pick and other parts. I'm not sure if they would take that offer.

I do not see him moving Bradley. I don't see us getting past Cleveland and GS without him.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
My offer would be Bradley, Rozier, BRK 17, BOS 18 for Butler and see where that goes. If they throw in Gibson (expiring) or Lopez (multiple years left on deal but could give CHI more cap room by sending him to Boston), I'd add some filler like Zeller/Mickey/etc. I'd consider taking on more salary if that meant including less valuable players (aka taking Rondo off their hands), maybe if a 3rd team got involved.

This way, BOS keeps one of the BRK (likely) lotto picks and Smart/Brown. CHI gets a lotto pick and some young players on good deals plus salary savings as they enter rebuild.

Unfortunately, for us, I think Bradley's injury completely foils any chance of this. He's been injured and quite frankly, no one has any sort of idea if he's going to be right again this year. This went from a week to week thing to basically half of the season so far. That gives me pause for concern even if no trade goes down.