Author Topic: Lakers Rumors: L.A. Engaged In Trade Talks With Bulls For Jimmy Butler  (Read 8903 times)

Re: Lakers Rumors: L.A. Engaged In Trade Talks With Bulls For Jimmy Butler
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Look, this is all irrelevant. It's the same game that Danny plays, leaking something to the media to drive up the price of a trade. Either somebody in LA is screwing with the Celtics or, more likely, somebody in Chicago hinted that LA was interested to pull another draft pick out of Ainge.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Butler does not move the needle.

Neither is our current sorry squad.  Which is why we should've traded for Cousins.
if our squad is so sorry, then surely cousins wouldnt have put us over the top
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
If LA gets Butler, this forum will explode ... And the fire Danny chant would get louder
again???!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
The Lakers 2017 is worthless if they get Butler.  JB may not move the needle much long-term on his own, but probably moves it enough to assure that the Sixers get their 2017 pick.  So in terms of a trade chip, I doubt their 2017 has any value to Chicago.

Butler would be a decent pick up for LAL because his friendly contract will allow them to pick up a nice FA.  But Butler is A piece, not THE piece.  If we don't get him I won't be upset.  If LAL gets him I won't be upset till I see their next move.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Lakers 2017 is worthless if they get Butler.  JB may not move the needle much long-term on his own, but probably moves it enough to assure that the Sixers get their 2017 pick.  So in terms of a trade chip, I doubt their 2017 has any value to Chicago.

I'm pretty sure they flat CAN'T convey the 2017 1st.  If it doesn't go to Philly, then Philly's rights roll over to next year, and if it does go to Philly, they'd have to roll Chicago's over to next year. Unless they have someone else's 1st it'd have to be a draft night trade or it'd violate the consecutive year rule.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
There is nothing the Lakers can offer that we can't beat. Its just a question of whether or not Ainge wants Butler enough.

I agree. But still think DA will do nothing mid season and wait draft and free agency. But what is interesting about this is that the price for stars is getting lower. Kings got little for Cousins and now it seems like Bulls are also lowering their price. Because last year they wouldn't even start talking with the Lakers.

Is that some new trend around GM's? Not willing to give up huge packages for stars?

The Kings lowered their offer because:
a) they're incompetent
b) the new CBA put a deadline on Cousins trade
c) Cousins has fewer years left on his deal than Butler
d) Cousins is apparently seen as an extremely toxic player, team chemistry-wise.

Chicago's situation with Butler isn't even remotely comparable.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 06:47:08 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
😳
I'll literally cry myself to sleep.

The only reason I would, would be that it puts all of that young talent in the east to compete against us in a couple of years.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I'm pretty sure they flat CAN'T convey the 2017 1st.  If it doesn't go to Philly, then Philly's rights roll over to next year, and if it does go to Philly, they'd have to roll Chicago's over to next year. Unless they have someone else's 1st it'd have to be a draft night trade or it'd violate the consecutive year rule.

Yes. They have no incoming 1st round picks. SL's post above nailed it.

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
But if the Lakers get Butler without giving up Ingram or Russell, and having no picks to offer, I will be cranky.  I'm not even completely in on getting Butler, but that would be ridiculous if the LA  walked away with that bargain.

that would be impossible...

I think those would have been the same exact words we would've used if yesterday at this time we were told that Cousins was traded to Pels for what he was traded for..

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I want to note the following on the Butler/Lakers rumor.  It starts from Mike Adamle out of Chicago.  Eric Pincus had the following to say about this source:

Eric Pincus‏ @EricPincus

I can't vouch for @TheMikeAdamle account but he tweeted out Lakers/Bulls rumors in 2015 but then deleted them when they didn't happen
5:09 PM · Feb 20, 2017

Eric Pincus‏ @EricPincus

@wvan10 @TheMikeAdamle if you break news, you don't delete tweets - esp. the ones that don't come true
5:49 PM · Feb 20, 2017

Eric Pincus‏ @EricPincus

@theknproject as I tweeted earlier - this person posts Lakers/Bulls rumors and then deletes them when they don't come true
6:53 PM · Feb 20, 2017

Pincus covers the Lakers for Basketball Insiders, and is their cap expert.  Calling out a credentialed media member for making up crap is rarely done.  But my guess is Pincus feels very strongly that this guy is just making things up for Twitter follows pretty much.  And it's easy to do.  He can't lose in this situation -- he's saying the Lakers won't include Ingram or Russell in a trade for Butler.  If a Butler trade doesn't happen with the Lakers, he can say point to his made up story as the reason why it didn't happen.  If Butler is traded to the Lakers with one or both included, he can say the Lakers relented.  And if somehow the crap he throws at a wall sticks this time, and the Lakers do get Butler without giving up Ingram or Russell, then he gains years worth of credibility.

Anyway, this rumor is likely someone just making things up because he can't get called out on it.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834