Author Topic: IF we trade for Butler/George is it still possible to land Hayward in FA?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
I was just wondering, if we pull a trade this week for either Jimmy Butler or Paul George. Are we still in the position to land Gordon Hayward? Especially regarding the salarycap of the team.

Let's say we get Butler or George for a package of Zeller, Rozier, Bradley and e.g. BKN 2018, BOS 2018 and MEM 2019.

Then after the season Amir comes of the books, together with a couple of other guys, do we still have capspace to sign Hayward to the max?
First problem I can see is how to sign some good bigs to play with Horford... add a big, resign KO, the '17 rook has a salary.

If possible a potential line up of:
Isaiah Thomas
Gordon Hayward
Paul George
Al Horford
Kelly Olynyk

Bench: Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, '17 pick, Jaylen Brown, Zizic, Yabu, Nader.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We are about $2-3 million short of having room for Hayward as is.  If you trade for either Butler or George, you need to send out a few million more in guaranteed 2017-2018 salary than Butler or George make.

It is not impossible, but it would probably have to be Crowder, Bradley, and the Brooklyn pick to work.  Which is absurd.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We are about $2-3 million short of having room for Hayward as is.  If you trade for either Butler or George, you need to send out a few million more in guaranteed 2017-2018 salary than Butler or George make.

It is not impossible, but it would probably have to be Crowder, Bradley, and the Brooklyn pick to work.  Which is absurd.

That depends on where the Nets' pick lands, what pick are you assuming we get?  Based on my reading of the CBA FAQs, it looks to be ~7 million if we land the #1 overall pick, do you get a similar number?

And I think AB/Brown/Brooklyn pick could work, but it's more than I'd like to give up.  Better off waiting until summer and seeing if Nets pick (after signing, like with Wiggins) + Bradley is enough to get him
I'm bitter.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That depends on where the Nets' pick lands, what pick are you assuming we get?  Based on my reading of the CBA FAQs, it looks to be ~7 million if we land the #1 overall pick, do you get a similar number?

And I think AB/Brown/Brooklyn pick could work, but it's more than I'd like to give up.  Better off waiting until summer and seeing if Nets pick (after signing, like with Wiggins) + Bradley is enough to get him

Yeah, I say $2-3 million because I'm hedging where the pick is.  My spreadsheet uses the #3 pick so as to not jinx things too much, and with that we're $1.4 million short.  The #1 pick would be about $3 million short.  Although even this is a little bit of an understatement, because by making a 3-for-1 trade we'd pick up two more roster holds totalling $1.6 million. Since we'd need to make a 3-for-1 deal to start approaching Butler or George's salary next season (unless Horford is involved), I probably should have said $3-5 million

Also, this number includes letting Olynyk walk.  Anyway, it's possible in the strictest sense, but isn't something that should be planned on.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, I say $2-3 million because I'm hedging where the pick is.  My spreadsheet uses the #3 pick so as to not jinx things too much, and with that we're $1.4 million short.  The #1 pick would be about $3 million short.  Although even this is a little bit of an understatement, because by making a 3-for-1 trade we'd pick up two more roster holds totalling $1.6 million. Since we'd need to make a 3-for-1 deal to start approaching Butler or George's salary next season (unless Horford is involved), I probably should have said $3-5 million

Also, this number includes letting Olynyk walk.  Anyway, it's possible in the strictest sense, but isn't something that should be planned on.

Yeah, that was sort of the same feeling I had.  I was looking into stuff yesterday and trying to work out all the team finances, but I don't think my numbers were agreeing with yours.  I was getting ~$28 million in cap space assuming the #1 pick but that seems like too much (although a bit of that is because I forgot about the cap holds for Yabu and Zizic, which I just remembered today).  If we end up within a couple of million, though, I'd imagine that Danny would send out Rozier in a heartbeat

Actually, I just looked and Hayward is in his 7th season, so he qualifies for the 30% max.  Maybe my numbers weren't as far off as I thought

Edit: It seems like, if a Butler deal is going to happen, it's in the best interest of both teams to wait until the summer.  That way the Bulls know where the pick lands and the Celtics can attempt to pick up someone in free agency.  And if they wanted to, they could use the 2017 pick's salary in the trade
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:36:24 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
My guess is they aren't saving enough. Butler's contract is about $20M per year. A max FA will be about $30M. They would be skirting the cap at that figure--assuming they dropped enough ballast. Butler only would save them about $10M vs a max FA. So they have that much to spend or to re-sign somebody. Not enough for another max FA. But it gives them more trade flexibility for depth.

That $10M difference between Butler and a max FA could be important. Plus the savings for trading a starter like Crowder in the deal.

The Butler deal, if it happens, reminds me a lot of the Sale deal with the Red Sox. That Nets 17 pick is equivalent to Moncada/Kopech. Sale also has an attractive contract that made those top prospects available.