Author Topic: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown  (Read 10537 times)

Re: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I like Jaylen, but I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves projecting him as a star based on what we've seen.

He just turned 20.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 05:27:41 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
I think by next season Brown will be our second or third leading scorer, depending if Bradley still with the team. He can get to the hoop so easily it's just a matter of finishing stronger. Needs to get his hands stronger. Free throw shooting has gotten much better and 3 point shot respected well enough to let him blow by tightened defender.

Just have to believe he is not on table in any Butler discussion.
Letting Brown go will make Joe Johnson and Chauncey look like small Potatoes. Lebron thinks he is going to be great. Draft a Top 5 talent Use cap space on Noel. Move Forward. If you can get a Rebounder to secure us second round this year go for it.

I like Jaylen, but I don't see him ending up having a beyyrr career than Chauncey or Johnson. Obviously I'd love to be wrong.

Did you see Joe Johnson having the career he had when he was a draftee out of Ju Co?  If not please refrain on projections.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I like Jaylen, but I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves projecting him as a star based on what we've seen.

He looks like he should become a very useful defender in time.  He also looks to have a serviceable outside shot, and he's got some nice moves getting to the basket.

All of that said, what's his best single-game performance so far?  A 19 point performance in a loss against Cleveland back in November, or perhaps a 20 point performance in a blowout against Orlando?

We need to give Jaylen time before jumping to any conclusions at all about what he can be.  I will say I'm impressed that he's been able to contribute to winning despite being so raw and young.  He's already a million light years ahead of James Young.

FWF makes a good point about Jaylen's off-court / practice showing.  By all accounts he is an astoundingly mature, hard-working, and cerebral young man.  Definitely bodes well for what he will become on the court.

Still, the proof is in the pudding, and he's only scored more than 15 points twice so far in his very very very young career.

I looked at his numbers the other day and found something interesting. How many times have he gotten up at least 10 shot attempts in a game. In those games how many points did he have? If I remember correctly I want to say it was like 2 or 3 games. My point is if you gave this guy at least 10 shots could he score in double digits and my answer to that is yes.

If this offense was focused on Jaylen when he's on the floor he's easily a double digit scorer and he's 20 and he can defend his position. He will be a starter in this league at the least.

I think if was the focus of the offense we would see a different result. I guess what I was hititng at is if he was on a team say Denver that allowed him to get 10 shots a game on many nights I think he could be a double digit scorer thus changing the narrative about him.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think by next season Brown will be our second or third leading scorer, depending if Bradley still with the team. He can get to the hoop so easily it's just a matter of finishing stronger. Needs to get his hands stronger. Free throw shooting has gotten much better and 3 point shot respected well enough to let him blow by tightened defender.

Just have to believe he is not on table in any Butler discussion.
Letting Brown go will make Joe Johnson and Chauncey look like small Potatoes. Lebron thinks he is going to be great. Draft a Top 5 talent Use cap space on Noel. Move Forward. If you can get a Rebounder to secure us second round this year go for it.

I like Jaylen, but I don't see him ending up having a beyyrr career than Chauncey or Johnson. Obviously I'd love to be wrong.

Did you see Joe Johnson having the career he had when he was a draftee out of Ju Co?  If not please refrain on projections.

You are getting Brown and Johnson mixed up. Johnson went to Arkansas.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

He looks like he should become a very useful defender in time.  He also looks to have a serviceable outside shot, and he's got some nice moves getting to the basket.

All of that said, what's his best single-game performance so far?  A 19 point performance in a loss against Cleveland back in November, or perhaps a 20 point performance in a blowout against Orlando?

We need to give Jaylen time before jumping to any conclusions at all about what he can be.  I will say I'm impressed that he's been able to contribute to winning despite being so raw and young.  He's already a million light years ahead of James Young.

FWF makes a good point about Jaylen's off-court / practice showing.  By all accounts he is an astoundingly mature, hard-working, and cerebral young man.  Definitely bodes well for what he will become on the court.

Still, the proof is in the pudding, and he's only scored more than 15 points twice so far in his very very very young career.

I looked at his numbers the other day and found something interesting. How many times have he gotten up at least 10 shot attempts in a game. In those games how many points did he have? If I remember correctly I want to say it was like 2 or 3 games. My point is if you gave this guy at least 10 shots could he score in double digits and my answer to that is yes.

If this offense was focused on Jaylen when he's on the floor he's easily a double digit scorer and he's 20 and he can defend his position. He will be a starter in this league at the least.

I think if was the focus of the offense we would see a different result. I guess what I was hititng at is if he was on a team say Denver that allowed him to get 10 shots a game on many nights I think he could be a double digit scorer thus changing the narrative about him.

I full on agree with that.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He just turned 20.

Uh yeah, exactly. Still very young. Hasn't shown a lot, but has plenty of potential.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

He just turned 20.

Uh yeah, exactly. Still very young. Hasn't shown a lot, but has plenty of potential.

What would you expect an NBA rookie on a 50-win team (that is 8-9 veterans deep) to show in games in order to validate management feeling "incredibly high," other than what we have seen?  Lay out some basic expectations.  Otherwise it sounds like you are nitpicking.

I think cracking the regular rotation speaks volumes.  I bet he gets a lot of run in the playoffs, which would mean even more.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

you might be right personally, i cant tell but will trust danny on this one once more.

heck, i wanted bender, then dunn. also wanted exum over smart.  ::)

what the heck do i know?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

So you're basing the opinion on scoring ? By points ?

He could be averaging 0, doesn't matter. The athleticism, the quickness, or how bout the fact at 19 nobody can stay with his first step ?

That's why he's so hyped. He's got it all to be great. No ppg shows you that when you factor in his team, situation, etc.

No gm, no scout, & no organization is looking at this player from a ppg standpoint.

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

He just turned 20.

What would you expect an NBA rookie on a 50-win team (that is 8-9 veterans deep) to show in games in order to validate management feeling "incredibly high," other than what we have seen?  Lay out some basic expectations.  Otherwise it sounds like you are nitpicking.

I think cracking the regular rotation speaks volumes.  I bet he gets a lot of run in the playoffs, which would mean even more.

Yeah, Jaylen is a tough comp because most top-3 picks go to bad teams and play a lot.

If he were on the Lakers, and he were getting 25+ minutes per game, averaging 12/5 with the same percentages (40/30/72), showing flashes of good defense and getting 20+ points every 5 games or so..none of which seems unreasonable given his performance this year...well then, he would be having a much better rookie campaign than Brandon Ingram. He'd probably be the consensus ROY, in fact. (Albeit in a terrible year).

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

As fans, we are the last to see the player become a star. So it's extremely conservative to say we shouldn't anoint him a star until we've seen him become a star.

Going off of what teammates say, from the flashes we've seen in game and from the work ethic he is meant to have shown in practice, it is reasonable to suggest he will be an all star level player.

Personally I think he'll become a top 10 player in the NBA. Entering his college year he was my top choice, just everything you want in an NBA player. I got incredibly caught up in the Bender hype, which tbh I'm a bit embarrassed about now, but he's shown everything you'd want him to show at this stage.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

So you're basing the opinion on scoring ? By points ?

He could be averaging 0, doesn't matter. The athleticism, the quickness, or how bout the fact at 19 nobody can stay with his first step ?

That's why he's so hyped. He's got it all to be great. No ppg shows you that when you factor in his team, situation, etc.

No gm, no scout, & no organization is looking at this player from a ppg standpoint.
Aside from the fact that jaylen has been 20 the entire season, agree 100%.  The projections have nothing to do with ppg.  Dudes a quick twitch athlete with quickness and explosiveness beyond his years.  I don't think anyone would predict he'll be lebron, who may be the best player of all time.  Or even durant, a sure fire hall of famer.  But Paul George, butler, derozen?  That's probably his ceiling but that's the kind of potential I see.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He just turned 20.

I think he's doing fine given the context of the team he's on.

I can see what everybody else indicates they see -- potential.

But potential is just that.

I could totally see him turning into the next Jimmy Butler or somebody along the lines of Demar Derozan or Andre Iguodala.

But that doesn't mean he's going to become that, and personally I prefer to wait until we've actually see a guy actually dominate a game for whole stretches, multiple times over the course of weeks and months, before I start to get really sure he's going to eventually be able to do that on a nightly basis.  We're a long way off with Jaylen, but the signs so far are good.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm seeing a lot of comps to Butler, George, and DeRozan, and even to Iguodala, but those players (like Cousins) haven't led their teams to the promised land, and don't figure to (at least anytime soon).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

He just turned 20.

I think he's doing fine given the context of the team he's on.

I can see what everybody else indicates they see -- potential.

But potential is just that.

I could totally see him turning into the next Jimmy Butler or somebody along the lines of Demar Derozan or Andre Iguodala.

But that doesn't mean he's going to become that, and personally I prefer to wait until we've actually see a guy actually dominate a game for whole stretches, multiple times over the course of weeks and months, before I start to get really sure he's going to eventually be able to do that on a nightly basis.  We're a long way off with Jaylen, but the signs so far are good.

Exactly...and given that he is only 20 and they can control him possibly for a decade or longer, you can see why they are incredibly high on him.