Author Topic: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown  (Read 10576 times)

Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Chris Forsberg wrote a good column laying out reasons Celtics did not pull the Boogie trigger.

First and foremost reason was that Brad and Danny are "incredibly high" on Jaylen Brown, and think he is trending to become a top player in the league.

I can't post from my phone, hoping someone else will.

I am dumbfounded by how easily some of us are so eager to have given him away along with a top 3 Nets pick for a 1.25 year rental of a very talented but volatile player.

I'm glad Danny and Brad see the same potential in Jaylen and this upcoming drafts. Makes me feel very optimistic.

Re: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Jaylen is quickly becoming my favorite player, and if this is true, is music to my ears. I am hoping this deadline passes without some crazy deal happening that gets rid of Brown, and the BRK 17 pick for a player of Butler's level.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is not just about what Brown's done on the court but what he's doing in practice and behind the scenes. Seems like a hard worker, smart, good character guy. Add high-level talent to that and I don't blame them. Looking forward to seeing Brown develop over the next couple of years.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Jaylen, but I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves projecting him as a star based on what we've seen.

He looks like he should become a very useful defender in time.  He also looks to have a serviceable outside shot, and he's got some nice moves getting to the basket.

All of that said, what's his best single-game performance so far?  A 19 point performance in a loss against Cleveland back in November, or perhaps a 20 point performance in a blowout against Orlando?

We need to give Jaylen time before jumping to any conclusions at all about what he can be.  I will say I'm impressed that he's been able to contribute to winning despite being so raw and young.  He's already a million light years ahead of James Young.

FWF makes a good point about Jaylen's off-court / practice showing.  By all accounts he is an astoundingly mature, hard-working, and cerebral young man.  Definitely bodes well for what he will become on the court.

Still, the proof is in the pudding, and he's only scored more than 15 points twice so far in his very very very young career.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I think this is what everyone has been missing in this.  They think giving up Jaylen is a small price to pay but the Celtics don't feel that way.  And I am with them. 

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I like Jaylen, but I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves projecting him as a star based on what we've seen.

He looks like he should become a very useful defender in time.  He also looks to have a serviceable outside shot, and he's got some nice moves getting to the basket.

All of that said, what's his best single-game performance so far?  A 19 point performance in a loss against Cleveland back in November, or perhaps a 20 point performance in a blowout against Orlando?

We need to give Jaylen time before jumping to any conclusions at all about what he can be.  I will say I'm impressed that he's been able to contribute to winning despite being so raw and young.  He's already a million light years ahead of James Young.

Don't be seduced by just the numbers...that's fantasy roto-land.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Chris Forsberg wrote a good column laying out reasons Celtics did not pull the Boogie trigger.

First and foremost reason was that Brad and Danny are "incredibly high" on Jaylen Brown, and think he is trending to become a top player in the league.

I am dumbfounded by how easily some of us are so eager to have given him away along with a top 3 Nets pick for a 1.25 year rental of a very talented but volatile player.

I'm glad Danny and Brad see the same potential in Jaylen and this upcoming drafts. Makes me feel very optimistic.

Is it confirmed that BOS would've had to give up Brown and a Nets pick? I haven't seen that, but I may have just missed it.

I prefer to keep Brown, and I do think he's going to be pretty good, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a championship-level, or even all-star level, player.

It seems like Danny is banking on two things: 1) Good fortune in the lottery; and 2) one or more of this era's high draft picks (Smart, Brown, BKN '17, BKN '18) turning into an All-NBA-level player. Smart is the type of player a championship contender needs, but he's not the latter. Brown, as I said, could end up being very good, but All-NBA-level players usually don't start their careers as quietly as Brown has. The two remaining BKN picks are up in the air at this point, and even if both were to become the first pick in the draft, nothing is guaranteed with unproven players.

And this doesn't even take into consideration that the next several seasons will witness an aging, at least somewhat declining Al Horford. I guess the Celtics will remain "relevant," for whatever that's worth, but can a college-style team win an NBA title?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Is it confirmed that BOS would've had to give up Brown and a Nets pick? I haven't seen that, but I may have just missed it.

I prefer to keep Brown, and I do think he's going to be pretty good, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a championship-level, or even all-star level, player.

It seems like Danny is banking on two things: 1) Good fortune in the lottery; and 2) one or more of this era's high draft picks (Smart, Brown, BKN '17, BKN '18) turning into an All-NBA-level player. Smart is the type of player a championship contender needs, but he's not the latter. Brown, as I said, could end up being very good, but All-NBA-level players usually don't start their careers as quietly as Brown has. The two remaining BKN picks are up in the air at this point, and even if both were to become the first pick in the draft, nothing is guaranteed with unproven players.

And this doesn't even take into consideration that the next several seasons will witness an aging, at least somewhat declining Al Horford. I guess the Celtics will remain "relevant," for whatever that's worth, but can a college-style team win an NBA title?
this is absolutely true, but most all-NBA players are drafted to bad teams where they can easily get a ton of minutes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

FWF makes a good point about Jaylen's off-court / practice showing.  By all accounts he is an astoundingly mature, hard-working, and cerebral young man.  Definitely bodes well for what he will become on the court.

Still, the proof is in the pudding, and he's only scored more than 15 points twice so far in his very very very young career.

By "some people" are you referring to the Celtics organization? Because according to the article they are the ones who feel his tragectory is headed in that direction. I get it if you feel fans get too optimistic, but Ainge is s professional talent evaluator, so it is especially relevant when he and Brad view this kid in these terms.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I think by next season Brown will be our second or third leading scorer, depending if Bradley still with the team. He can get to the hoop so easily it's just a matter of finishing stronger. Needs to get his hands stronger. Free throw shooting has gotten much better and 3 point shot respected well enough to let him blow by tightened defender.

Just have to believe he is not on table in any Butler discussion.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 03:55:54 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I think by next season Brown will be our second or third leading scorer, depending if Bradley still with the team. He can get to the hoop so easily it's just a matter of finishing stronger. Needs to get his hands stronger. Free throw shooting has gotten much better and 3 point shot respected well enough to let him blow by tightened defender.

Letting Brown go will make Joe Johnson and Chauncey look like small Potatoes. Lebron thinks he is going to be great. Draft a Top 5 talent Use cap space on Noel. Move Forward. If you can get a Rebounder to secure us second round this year go for it.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

this is absolutely true, but most all-NBA players are drafted to bad teams where they can easily get a ton of minutes.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it also seems to me—and I could be wrong—that those types of players don't "develop" in the way most players do. That is, even if they're on a good team and thus get limited minutes, they still make a big impact, because they're just that good. They still need to grow as players—we've seen that even with LeBron—but there's no hiding their massive potential. Jaylen has shown flashes of being good, but I haven't seen any flashes of greatness.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My guess is that this is a leak to the media to justify another deadline with no "fireworks".  We'll see later this week I guess.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

Offline The Bones

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Once Jaylon gets a better handle on his dribble, he is going to be a solid offensive player.  He already is good on the defensive end.  Good things to come with Jaylon.  A keeper.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 04:03:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Letting Brown go will make Joe Johnson and Chauncey look like small Potatoes. Lebron thinks he is going to be great. Draft a Top 5 talent Use cap space on Noel. Move Forward. If you can get a Rebounder to secure us second round this year go for it.

I like Jaylen, but I don't see him ending up having a beyyrr career than Chauncey or Johnson. Obviously I'd love to be wrong.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes