Author Topic: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown  (Read 10578 times)

Re: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jaylen Brown is overrated as hell.  I hope I'm wrong but that kid is average at best.

Bwhahaaaaaa........
He's 20 years old.

Bwhahaaaaa.......
He's disposable

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jaylen Brown is overrated as hell.  I hope I'm wrong but that kid is average at best.
Overrated?  What does that even mean?  No one is talking about how good he is now so his rating doesn't apply.

Read the title again.  Then read almost every post around here about Jaylen Brown.

So because people like Brown means he's overrated?

There is a fine line between "like" and "obsessed."  I like Brown...meaning I'd tolerate his talent and potential insofar I don't have anything better but I won't hesitate to trade a thousand Jaylen Browns for one Cousins.  To insist and stand pat on an average-at-best talent like Jaylen Brown over a Cousins is INSANITY.  I would commit such person to an asylum without a doubt.  It's madness. 

In brief, I'd take Jaylen over Gerald Green, over Kelly Olynyk, even over Crowder, but no way in hell I'd hold on to Jaylen over a Cousins.  I feel disgusted to even type out that previous sentence.

No one is "obsessed" with Brown, they just like they see.

I like what I see too.  With Cousins, I like what I see better.  WAY better.  WAY WAY better.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Chris Forsberg wrote a good column laying out reasons Celtics did not pull the Boogie trigger.

First and foremost reason was that Brad and Danny are "incredibly high" on Jaylen Brown, and think he is trending to become a top player in the league.

I can't post from my phone, hoping someone else will.

I am dumbfounded by how easily some of us are so eager to have given him away along with a top 3 Nets pick for a 1.25 year rental of a very talented but volatile player.

I'm glad Danny and Brad see the same potential in Jaylen and this upcoming drafts. Makes me feel very optimistic.

Is it confirmed that BOS would've had to give up Brown and a Nets pick? I haven't seen that, but I may have just missed it.

I prefer to keep Brown, and I do think he's going to be pretty good, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a championship-level, or even all-star level, player.

It seems like Danny is banking on two things: 1) Good fortune in the lottery; and 2) one or more of this era's high draft picks (Smart, Brown, BKN '17, BKN '18) turning into an All-NBA-level player. Smart is the type of player a championship contender needs, but he's not the latter. Brown, as I said, could end up being very good, but All-NBA-level players usually don't start their careers as quietly as Brown has. The two remaining BKN picks are up in the air at this point, and even if both were to become the first pick in the draft, nothing is guaranteed with unproven players.

And this doesn't even take into consideration that the next several seasons will witness an aging, at least somewhat declining Al Horford. I guess the Celtics will remain "relevant," for whatever that's worth, but can a college-style team win an NBA title?
this is absolutely true, but most all-NBA players are drafted to bad teams where they can easily get a ton of minutes.
The guys we are rumored to be looking at, Butler and George, were very unimpressive their first seasons. And Butler played 3 years in college. Paul George 2. Kawhi had great percentages his rookie year, but low numbers.

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Overrated?  What does that even mean?  No one is talking about how good he is now so his rating doesn't apply.

Read the title again.  Then read almost every post around here about Jaylen Brown.

There is a fine line between "like" and "obsessed."  I like Brown...meaning I'd tolerate his talent and potential insofar I don't have anything better but I won't hesitate to trade a thousand Jaylen Browns for one Cousins.  To insist and stand pat on an average-at-best talent like Jaylen Brown over a Cousins is INSANITY.  I would commit such person to an asylum without a doubt.  It's madness. 

In brief, I'd take Jaylen over Gerald Green, over Kelly Olynyk, even over Crowder, but no way in hell I'd hold on to Jaylen over a Cousins.  I feel disgusted to even type out that previous sentence.

I like what I see too.  With Cousins, I like what I see better.  WAY better.  WAY WAY better.
Cousins has such a fundamental lack of self-control on the court and even in front of the press and in the locker room, that there is a lot of risk with Cousins. This is a guy who set the record for a 16th tech and then immediately got #17. The league has had no shortage of intense players, but that is absurd. This also not an intense guys that his team rallies around like KG or Draymond Green. This is a guy you just can't control his emotions.

He is a great talent. That is unquestionable. But when a talent that great is traded for that package, it means that there is little confidence in front offices that he won't bring his toxicity to his next stop.

Great talents shooting themselves in the foot is nothing new.

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Bwhahaaaaaa........
He's 20 years old.

Bwhahaaaaa.......
He's disposable

Only if you are stupid.
You trade old players who are on the way down, not young players who are on the way up.

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The main people here who think Brown is disposable in any trade are the same ones who think we should empty our entire treasure chest of assets and future assets for Butler alone...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Some fans are funny as hell.  I wouldn't hesitate to trade brown, or anyone else, if I'm going to upgrade.  And I agree that cousins is a talent and ignoring other issues, is worth brown and more.  Of course the elephant in the room is that he's a nut job.  A complete whacko.