Author Topic: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown  (Read 10563 times)

Re: Forsberg: Celtics "incredibly high" on Brown
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Bill Simmons has also spoken about how strong he Cs are on Brown. I don't think he's subject to deliberate media leaks ala a beat guy.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
My guess is that this is a leak to the media to justify another deadline with no "fireworks".  We'll see later this week I guess.

They loved Jaylen since they drafted him.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think Brown's ceiling is high.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I like Jaylen, but I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves projecting him as a star based on what we've seen.

He looks like he should become a very useful defender in time.  He also looks to have a serviceable outside shot, and he's got some nice moves getting to the basket.

All of that said, what's his best single-game performance so far?  A 19 point performance in a loss against Cleveland back in November, or perhaps a 20 point performance in a blowout against Orlando?

We need to give Jaylen time before jumping to any conclusions at all about what he can be.  I will say I'm impressed that he's been able to contribute to winning despite being so raw and young.  He's already a million light years ahead of James Young.

FWF makes a good point about Jaylen's off-court / practice showing.  By all accounts he is an astoundingly mature, hard-working, and cerebral young man.  Definitely bodes well for what he will become on the court.

Still, the proof is in the pudding, and he's only scored more than 15 points twice so far in his very very very young career.

By "some people" are you referring to the Celtics organization? Because according to the article they are the ones who feel his tragectory is headed in that direction. I get it if you feel fans get too optimistic, but Ainge is s professional talent evaluator, so it is especially relevant when he and Brad view this kid in these terms.

I'm sure those guys know more than we do. Absolutely. But let's remember that drafting seems to be Danny's weakest area of professional competence; he has a tendency to get good value in the second round, but he's had a ton of first-round misses.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My guess is that this is a leak to the media to justify another deadline with no "fireworks".  We'll see later this week I guess.

It's just a coincidence that this story is printed right before the deadline?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I like Jaylen, but I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves projecting him as a star based on what we've seen.

He looks like he should become a very useful defender in time.  He also looks to have a serviceable outside shot, and he's got some nice moves getting to the basket.

All of that said, what's his best single-game performance so far?  A 19 point performance in a loss against Cleveland back in November, or perhaps a 20 point performance in a blowout against Orlando?

We need to give Jaylen time before jumping to any conclusions at all about what he can be.  I will say I'm impressed that he's been able to contribute to winning despite being so raw and young.  He's already a million light years ahead of James Young.

FWF makes a good point about Jaylen's off-court / practice showing.  By all accounts he is an astoundingly mature, hard-working, and cerebral young man.  Definitely bodes well for what he will become on the court.

Still, the proof is in the pudding, and he's only scored more than 15 points twice so far in his very very very young career.

By "some people" are you referring to the Celtics organization? Because according to the article they are the ones who feel his tragectory is headed in that direction. I get it if you feel fans get too optimistic, but Ainge is s professional talent evaluator, so it is especially relevant when he and Brad view this kid in these terms.

I'm sure those guys know more than we do. Absolutely. But let's remember that drafting seems to be Danny's weakest area of professional competence; he has a tendency to get good value in the second round, but he's had a ton of first-round misses.

Not true based on positioning which others can site statistically.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Chris Forsberg wrote a good column laying out reasons Celtics did not pull the Boogie trigger.

First and foremost reason was that Brad and Danny are "incredibly high" on Jaylen Brown, and think he is trending to become a top player in the league.

I can't post from my phone, hoping someone else will.

I am dumbfounded by how easily some of us are so eager to have given him away along with a top 3 Nets pick for a 1.25 year rental of a very talented but volatile player.

I'm glad Danny and Brad see the same potential in Jaylen and this upcoming drafts. Makes me feel very optimistic.

Is it confirmed that BOS would've had to give up Brown and a Nets pick? I haven't seen that, but I may have just missed it.

I prefer to keep Brown, and I do think he's going to be pretty good, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a championship-level, or even all-star level, player.

It seems like Danny is banking on two things: 1) Good fortune in the lottery; and 2) one or more of this era's high draft picks (Smart, Brown, BKN '17, BKN '18) turning into an All-NBA-level player. Smart is the type of player a championship contender needs, but he's not the latter. Brown, as I said, could end up being very good, but All-NBA-level players usually don't start their careers as quietly as Brown has. The two remaining BKN picks are up in the air at this point, and even if both were to become the first pick in the draft, nothing is guaranteed with unproven players.

And this doesn't even take into consideration that the next several seasons will witness an aging, at least somewhat declining Al Horford. I guess the Celtics will remain "relevant," for whatever that's worth, but can a college-style team win an NBA title?
this is absolutely true, but most all-NBA players are drafted to bad teams where they can easily get a ton of minutes.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it also seems to me—and I could be wrong—that those types of players don't "develop" in the way most players do. That is, even if they're on a good team and thus get limited minutes, they still make a big impact, because they're just that good. They still need to grow as players—we've seen that even with LeBron—but there's no hiding their massive potential. Jaylen has shown flashes of being good, but I haven't seen any flashes of greatness.
yeah, I mean I dont think its wise to project him as a superstar, but I dont think his rookie season precludes him from stardom by any means.

I dont recall James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Demar Derozan, Klay Thompson, Thomas, Draymond, Millsap, Lowry or Gordon Hayward having much more obvious glimpses of greatness. Two of them are MVP candidates today.

of the all stars: Lebron, Kyrie, Giannis, Melo and probably Love for the East and Cousins, Davis, Curry and Westbrook for the West are the all-stars to flash obvious greatness as rookies.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

It's printed the day after the Cousins trade, which is what the article addresses.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm mostly referring to CBers and people in the media I've seen going gaga over Brown's potential, or talking about him like he's a lock to become a star.

Brad and Danny certainly know better than I do what kind of indications Brown has shown that he can become a star.

It just seems to me that we need to wait before we think of it as anything like a determined outcome.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, this and the Himmelsbach article about how they never wanted Cousins.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
I still think he'll be a very prolific scorer. The kid is just figuring out his game and he's doing things that vets can only do. His attitude is the difference maker. That work ethic of his is ridiculous and you can clearly tell he works hard. I personally still think he can at least make it to Jimmy Butler level with more athleticism. If he can be Kobe-esque, the league is in trouble

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

I looked at his numbers the other day and found something interesting. How many times have he gotten up at least 10 shot attempts in a game. In those games how many points did he have? If I remember correctly I want to say it was like 2 or 3 games. My point is if you gave this guy at least 10 shots could he score in double digits and my answer to that is yes.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's printed the day after the Cousins trade, which is what the article addresses.

Waitwaitwait. Are you suggesting an article about the Cousins trade might be related to the Cousins trade?

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I looked at his numbers the other day and found something interesting. How many times have he gotten up at least 10 shot attempts in a game. In those games how many points did he have? If I remember correctly I want to say it was like 2 or 3 games. My point is if you gave this guy at least 10 shots could he score in double digits and my answer to that is yes.

If this offense was focused on Jaylen when he's on the floor he's easily a double digit scorer and he's 20 and he can defend his position. He will be a starter in this league at the least.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 05:22:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Chris Forsberg wrote a good column laying out reasons Celtics did not pull the Boogie trigger.

First and foremost reason was that Brad and Danny are "incredibly high" on Jaylen Brown, and think he is trending to become a top player in the league.

I can't post from my phone, hoping someone else will.

I am dumbfounded by how easily some of us are so eager to have given him away along with a top 3 Nets pick for a 1.25 year rental of a very talented but volatile player.

I'm glad Danny and Brad see the same potential in Jaylen and this upcoming drafts. Makes me feel very optimistic.

Is it confirmed that BOS would've had to give up Brown and a Nets pick? I haven't seen that, but I may have just missed it.

I prefer to keep Brown, and I do think he's going to be pretty good, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a championship-level, or even all-star level, player.

It seems like Danny is banking on two things: 1) Good fortune in the lottery; and 2) one or more of this era's high draft picks (Smart, Brown, BKN '17, BKN '18) turning into an All-NBA-level player. Smart is the type of player a championship contender needs, but he's not the latter. Brown, as I said, could end up being very good, but All-NBA-level players usually don't start their careers as quietly as Brown has. The two remaining BKN picks are up in the air at this point, and even if both were to become the first pick in the draft, nothing is guaranteed with unproven players.

And this doesn't even take into consideration that the next several seasons will witness an aging, at least somewhat declining Al Horford. I guess the Celtics will remain "relevant," for whatever that's worth, but can a college-style team win an NBA title?
this is absolutely true, but most all-NBA players are drafted to bad teams where they can easily get a ton of minutes.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it also seems to me—and I could be wrong—that those types of players don't "develop" in the way most players do. That is, even if they're on a good team and thus get limited minutes, they still make a big impact, because they're just that good. They still need to grow as players—we've seen that even with LeBron—but there's no hiding their massive potential. Jaylen has shown flashes of being good, but I haven't seen any flashes of greatness.
yeah, I mean I dont think its wise to project him as a superstar, but I dont think his rookie season precludes him from stardom by any means.

I dont recall James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Demar Derozan, Klay Thompson, Thomas, Draymond, Millsap, Lowry or Gordon Hayward having much more obvious glimpses of greatness. Two of them are MVP candidates today.

of the all stars: Lebron, Kyrie, Giannis, Melo and probably Love for the East and Cousins, Davis, Curry and Westbrook for the West are the all-stars to flash obvious greatness as rookies.
TP, I was going to say the same thing about Kawhi Leonard, Butler, and Paul George... all players who like Jaylen there was some optimism for coming into the league but weren't cant-miss prospects, and who you kind of hope Jaylen turns out somewhat similar to.  Jaylen might have come into his draft with more hype than any of those 3 and Jaylen doesn't seem to have an ego that could be a potential obstacle in his development.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur