Author Topic: Twin Towers  (Read 1808 times)

Twin Towers
« on: February 20, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
So we have another twin towers situation with Cousins and Davis.  On paper having two dominate big men may look like the answer but maybe it’s not the case.    Sure it worked with Duncan and Robinson, but it didn’t work with Duncan and Aldridge.  Robinson was ready to be the mentor and not the man.   I think Aldridge wanted to have the same usage he had in Portland and it didn’t work out.  Celtics fans should remember that it didn’t work with Ralph Sampson and Akeem Olajuwon in Houston, after all it was Boston that beat them in the finals.     So just having two great big men isn’t necessarily enough. 

Also, let’s not forget that Cousins is a head case.  He was a head case in college and has been a head case his entire NBA career.   Team chemistry matters.  If you think great talent alone is enough look at that Laker team with starting 4 hall of famers, Payton, Malone, Shaq, and Kobe.  They lost to a blue collar Pistons team that out hustled them and played together as a cohesive unit.  Not to mention the Pistons were led by a player we gave up on too soon in Chancy Billups.

It’s too soon to tell but I wouldn’t start counting championships in NO just yet.   What do you all think?

Re: Twin Towers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rest of the team is weak.

Concerns over AD and Cousins as a tandem. Both guys are high usage and used to having everything revolve around them. They won't fulfill their individual potential alongside one another. What will be interesting to see is how much they lose (of themselves to make things work). AD, I think quite a lot. Cousins not so much.

Far from title worthy.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I could see it working the way Gasol and Zebo mesh, but will require mutual sacrifice. And who is the Alpha dog?  Helps they both have some 3 point range.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I could see it working the way Gasol and Zebo mesh, but will require mutual sacrifice. And who is the Alpha dog?  Helps they both have some 3 point range.

Gasol and Zebo have different style games, so they complement each other.  Cousins and Davis have the same game, so it looks more like they will conflict with each other. 

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
inside job

but seriously, they need more depth
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Gasol and Zebo have different style games, so they complement each other.  Cousins and Davis have the same game, so it looks more like they will conflict with each other.
they have the same game, but that game does everything. both can gaurd both center and PF, both can score inside and out, both can pass, handle the ball and rebound.

They will fit together fine.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
They still don't have enough everywhere else.

Will it work? The nice thing is both stretch the floor well, they may not get in each others way down low. Will Cousins settle in there, and act like a pro...anyones guess.

.500 ball club. Wait for them to blow-up and pick up the pieces.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Rest of the team is weak.

Concerns over AD and Cousins as a tandem. Both guys are high usage and used to having everything revolve around them. They won't fulfill their individual potential alongside one another. What will be interesting to see is how much they lose (of themselves to make things work). AD, I think quite a lot. Cousins not so much.

Far from title worthy.

Crazy depth in the front court. AD and Cousins. Asik, Jones, DMO.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)