Author Topic: Celtics were never interested in DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 7288 times)

Re: Celtics were never interested in DeMarcus Cousins
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It sounds like the Celtics attempted to negotiate after all:

According to an Eastern Conference source, Divac also called the Celtics, but asked for far too much in return and refused to negotiate. There’s also belief that the Nuggets were willing to include anyone but Nikola Jokic and perhaps Jamal Murray in a trade for Cousins. – via The Ringer

https://theringer.com/demarcus-cousin-trade-effects-sixers-bulls-jimmy-butler-celtics-bc7e5af236ff#.7ck7iaun2

I don't know -- a source from a third team knows this?  I mean, not impossible, but there's no reason to believe this any more than any other anonymous source during trade rumor season.  And we both know to put very low weight on such sources during this time of year.

Is that less credible than the "league sources" the Globe cites?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:40 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Vlade Divac throwing a little shade at the departing Cousins:

“It was time for a change and I decided this was the best direction for the organization, said Divac. “Winning begins with culture and character matters. With the upcoming draft class set to be one of the strongest in a decade, this trade will allow us to build the depth needed for a talented and developing roster moving forward. We thank DeMarcus for his contributions and wish him all the best in New Orleans. The fans in Sacramento are the best in the world and we are all committed to building a team that will continue to make Sacramento proud.”

Says the team that signed Matt Barnes and Ty Lawson this off-season and that starts Darren Collison. Character matters regarding technical follows, but not violence against women. Tyreke Evans has the distinction of being arrested at gunpoint and sued for wrongful death in a murder where he was allegedly the driver of a car from which Evans' cousin murdwrwd another guy.

Lol. Character.

I'm usually pretty quick with the "GMs know much more than fans" card, but I actually think many knowledgeable basketball fans could do a better job running the Kings than their current group.  It's shameful.

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 11:22:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

According to an Eastern Conference source, Divac also called the Celtics, but asked for far too much in return and refused to negotiate. There’s also belief that the Nuggets were willing to include anyone but Nikola Jokic and perhaps Jamal Murray in a trade for Cousins. – via The Ringer

https://theringer.com/demarcus-cousin-trade-effects-sixers-bulls-jimmy-butler-celtics-bc7e5af236ff#.7ck7iaun2
Sounds more like Divac called the Cs and demanded something the Cs weren't willing to give up and that was that. Not sure how that equates to the Celtics wanted to negotiate for Cousins.

If Vlade refused to negotiate, that suggests there was an attempt made to negotiate.
Don't see it that way based on how it was worded. Divac asked for something and refused to negotiate which means it was a one time "if you want Cousins this is what we want from you" type conversation. That doesn't mean the Celtics entertained the offer or tried to counteroffer. IMO, that says Sactown called and made an offer that had demands attached and that Boston walked away.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't know -- a source from a third team knows this?  I mean, not impossible, but there's no reason to believe this any more than any other anonymous source during trade rumor season.  And we both know to put very low weight on such sources during this time of year.

Is that less credible than the "league sources" the Globe cites?

I give the Globe slightly more weight in general than The Ringer, due to staff size and experience covering Boston sports, but the key word above is slightly.  However, there have been rumors for months that the Celtics were not interested in Cousins, and then he got traded for a seemingly cheap price (certainly one the Celtics could exceed).  So the Globe's source matches up with both prior sources and the ultimate outcome.

But if you want to draw no conclusions from either, that's okay by me.

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am sure the Celtics front office has a presence on CB.
they dont make a move without us.  ;D

Haha TP!!

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Love this. 10 threads a day of Cs blog Cousins drivel for 3 years, and Ainge never even wanted the guy.

Now what? What else is to talk about besides Cousins (and Trump)?

This is massive schadenfreude within the blog. So Danny never wanted him. We have a wise sage of a GM. Cousins would have been no fun to play with and make a lot of his teammates hate their job. It got extremely difficult at times to understand why anyone would want him. They couldn't just admit they were obsessed and wrong. They still don't. This board is currently unreadable. The Boogie Cousins fans are on tilt.

I now have more faith than ever in Danny Ainge and this top five NBA team miserable fans do not appreciate.

It's okay. We all have wasted too much time on this website. I did so being positive and am reaping the benefits of being on the right side of the team. They had a massive sticky thread here to go with all those other threads always on how to get Cousins to Boston. It's been embarrassing.

The clown threw Marcus to the ground. He's going to get a mega contract soon. You can only give out so many of those. He is too mentally unbalanced as proven in videos. Someone would have to be quite cynical, maybe a Dan Duquette styled GM, to want him. Yes, this blog reminds me of Duquette. He knew stats and talent, but he had no understanding of people. A good GM needs to be excellent at both.

Cousins takes off plays. He plays dirty. He plays nasty and is a cancer as they're called.

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If Celtics were never interested... that is a problem imo.

I just don't want to wake up on the 23rd and hear that this half a decade of trade rumors amounted to some more playoff exits.. at least go after Drummond and add the dynamic that this team is missing, and make it more complete. We have no big that can roll to the basket either.