Author Topic: Celtics were never interested in DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 7280 times)

Re: Celtics were never interested in DeMarcus Cousins
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Love this. 10 threads a day of Cs blog Cousins drivel for 3 years, and Ainge never even wanted the guy.

Now what? What else is to talk about besides Cousins (and Trump)?

Well, if history is any indication we have about 2 more years of Butler talk to look forward to

Right. The never ending obsession about an All-Star -- but not a franchise player -- who likes to **** out his teammates in the press.

What more is there to say? If he can be had for value -- great. But he's unlikely to help us past GSW, so don't trade cracks at super stars for him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Vlade Divac throwing a little shade at the departing Cousins:

“It was time for a change and I decided this was the best direction for the organization, said Divac. “Winning begins with culture and character matters. With the upcoming draft class set to be one of the strongest in a decade, this trade will allow us to build the depth needed for a talented and developing roster moving forward. We thank DeMarcus for his contributions and wish him all the best in New Orleans. The fans in Sacramento are the best in the world and we are all committed to building a team that will continue to make Sacramento proud.”
They got a pick in the teens and still have a pick swap with Philly (that is in Philly's favor).  If they really wanted to make hey, they should have and could have gotten a lot better offers from other teams, especially if it was building through the draft they wanted to do.  I mean they could have just sent him to Philly for Okafor and Saric, gotten the pick swap removed, and gotten back their own 2019 1st.  Doesn't that allow them to build through the draft a lot better than making the trade they did.  Heck Portland owns 3 1st round picks in the up coming draft.  Wouldn't something like Crabbe and the 3 firsts been a better trade for Sacto long term if the point was to build through this draft?

Divac is trying to save face for a terribly one sided trade.  Nothing more, nothing less.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

“It was time for a change and I decided this was the best direction for the organization, said Divac. “Winning begins with culture and character matters. With the upcoming draft class set to be one of the strongest in a decade, this trade will allow us to build the depth needed for a talented and developing roster moving forward. We thank DeMarcus for his contributions and wish him all the best in New Orleans. The fans in Sacramento are the best in the world and we are all committed to building a team that will continue to make Sacramento proud.”
They got a pick in the teens and still have a pick swap with Philly (that is in Philly's favor).  If they really wanted to make hey, they should have and could have gotten a lot better offers from other teams, especially if it was building through the draft they wanted to do.  I mean they could have just sent him to Philly for Okafor and Saric, gotten the pick swap removed, and gotten back their own 2019 1st.  Doesn't that allow them to build through the draft a lot better than making the trade they did.  Heck Portland owns 3 1st round picks in the up coming draft.  Wouldn't something like Crabbe and the 3 firsts been a better trade for Sacto long term if the point was to build through this draft?

Divac is trying to save face for a terribly one sided trade.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Vlade might be bad, but do you really think he got those offers and turned them down in favor of a on obviously worse offer?

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Excellent points, TP. There might have been alternate paths that made more sense for their supposed objective/direction. But an organization needs to have the ability to properly value these assets. Most posters here know for instance that the Pels 1st-rounder will likely be mid-round, a decent asset, but certainly nothing rare or exceptionally valuable. A 2018 Nets first, though a  year later, is a much better haul. SO is the Lakers pick, which would likely improve up to late-lottery status with the addition of Cousins. The Kings probably way overvalued Hield though, throwing their whole formula into question. Maybe they think Hield is better than Okafor and Saric? Maybe they think he's better than Brown + Brooklyn 18 or whatever.

Who knows with that club, they are shortsighted and remarkably inept. I feel terrible for their fans.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Vlade might be bad, but do you really think he got those offers and turned them down in favor of a on obviously worse offer?

Keep in mind the Kings have different ideas about player value than the rest of the league. Like when they signed Belinelli to a $9M per year contract. Ugh.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Keep in mind the Kings have different ideas about player value than the rest of the league. Like when they signed Belinelli to a $9M per year contract. Ugh.

And in another thread Vlade just claimed that he DID turn down a better offer. I guess I was giving him way too much credit. Never mind.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I completely believe the Globe article but do we even need that detail?  The proof is in the trade NO made: the Celtics easily could have beaten that offer and were never even mentioned in the rumors. 

All you need to know.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 05:51:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I am sure the Celtics front office has a presence on CB.
they dont make a move without us.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

And in another thread Vlade just claimed that he DID turn down a better offer. I guess I was giving him way too much credit. Never mind.
really? we wont know the details for a while, if ever. but so far, i find it hard accept that vlade is a credible nba GM.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 05:57:57 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
They're not interested because he's a malcontent rent-a-player. Ainge has put himself in a far better position than just aquiring a rent-a-player.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Says the team that signed Matt Barnes and Ty Lawson this off-season and that starts Darren Collison. Character matters regarding technical follows, but not violence against women. Tyreke Evans has the distinction of being arrested at gunpoint and sued for wrongful death in a murder where he was allegedly the driver of a car from which Evans' cousin murdwrwd another guy.

Lol. Character.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It sounds like the Celtics attempted to negotiate after all:

According to an Eastern Conference source, Divac also called the Celtics, but asked for far too much in return and refused to negotiate. There’s also belief that the Nuggets were willing to include anyone but Nikola Jokic and perhaps Jamal Murray in a trade for Cousins. – via The Ringer

https://theringer.com/demarcus-cousin-trade-effects-sixers-bulls-jimmy-butler-celtics-bc7e5af236ff#.7ck7iaun2

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

According to an Eastern Conference source, Divac also called the Celtics, but asked for far too much in return and refused to negotiate. There’s also belief that the Nuggets were willing to include anyone but Nikola Jokic and perhaps Jamal Murray in a trade for Cousins. – via The Ringer

https://theringer.com/demarcus-cousin-trade-effects-sixers-bulls-jimmy-butler-celtics-bc7e5af236ff#.7ck7iaun2

I don't know -- a source from a third team knows this?  I mean, not impossible, but there's no reason to believe this any more than any other anonymous source during trade rumor season.  And we both know to put very low weight on such sources during this time of year.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sounds more like Divac called the Cs and demanded something the Cs weren't willing to give up and that was that. Not sure how that equates to the Celtics wanted to negotiate for Cousins.

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 11:15:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Sounds more like Divac called the Cs and demanded something the Cs weren't willing to give up and that was that. Not sure how that equates to the Celtics wanted to negotiate for Cousins.

If Vlade refused to negotiate, that suggests there was an attempt made to negotiate.