Author Topic: Offseason idea: Blockbuster Trade with Spurs  (Read 1833 times)

Offseason idea: Blockbuster Trade with Spurs
« on: February 20, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If the Spurs get bounced easily in the playoffs, could their aging core be enough of a concern to entertain a very enticing rebuild package similar to how the Celtics did in 2013?

Offseason Idea:  Celtics trade Jaylen Brown, who we draft in 2017, and our future 2018 brooklyn draft pick for Kawhi Leonard + Aldridge.  It appears we have enough cap space this summer (minus Brown and Zeller) to take in their contracts without having to throw any salary back to them.

Celtics would start IT, Bradley, Kawhi, Horford, Aldridge with at least Smart and Crowder off the bench.  Aldridge and Kawhi would be perfect fits in a Stevens-style offense.  We cash in our biggest chips, but our superstar Kawhi is only 26 years old at the time of acquiring him while Lebron is 32.  I think this would position us as the best overall team in the East.  Possibly for the next 4 seasons.

Spurs are looking at a semi-bleak future this offseason with a star about to enter and possibly waste his prime.  They get back a possible franchise building block superstar in the 2017 pick, plus two other extremely high level future assets.  Plus a super clean slate of salaries the season after.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Offseason idea: Blockbuster Trade with Spurs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
OMG. I think people are starting to display trade deadline deliriousness already. Why would the Spurs do this???

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
lol

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
OMG. I think people are starting to display trade deadline deliriousness already. Why would the Spurs do this???
Spurs are aging their way out of contention.  This offseason (as of September 1, 2017), they would be looking at their main players under contract being their 5 starters:

Tony Parker - 35 years old
Danny Green - 30
Kawhi Leonard - 26
Aldridge - 32
Pau - 37

They have Manu (40), Dedmon (28), David Lee (34), Jonathon Simmons (27), and Patty Mills (29) as likely free agents.  They can go over the cap to bring Dedmon/Mills/Simmons back with bird rights or otherwise let them walk and bring in one FA at around $15 mil.

They've got a few nice young players under contact in Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, and Davis Bertans, but they don't move the needle a ton in terms of being a real contender.  I don't really know Bryn Forbes or Livio Jean-Charles.

If they get beat badly in the playoffs, no way are they competing for a title the following season with an aging core, no cap space to make any significant improvements to the roster, and a lack of young prospects to trade for roster improvements.  I think this offseason would be really wise for them to take an opportunity to go into a complete rebuild like the Celtics did in 2013.

I would be really interested in hearing some kind of alternative plan for success for the Spurs right now that involves staying the course (if they were to be beat badly in 2017 playoffs).  This proposed package from the celtics is a pretty epic one, IMO.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Spurs are aging their way out of contention.  This offseason (as of September 1, 2017), they would be looking at their main players under contract being their 5 starters:

Tony Parker - 35 years old
Danny Green - 30
Kawhi Leonard - 26
Aldridge - 32
Pau - 37

They have Manu (40), Dedmon (28), David Lee (34), Jonathon Simmons (27), and Patty Mills (29) as likely free agents.  They can go over the cap to bring Dedmon/Mills/Simmons back with bird rights or otherwise let them walk and bring in one FA at around $15 mil.

They've got a few nice young players under contact in Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, and Davis Bertans, but they don't move the needle a ton in terms of being a real contender.  I don't really know Bryn Forbes or Livio Jean-Charles.

If they get beat badly in the playoffs, no way are they competing for a title the following season with an aging core, no cap space to make any significant improvements to the roster, and a lack of young prospects to trade for roster improvements.  I think this offseason would be really wise for them to take an opportunity to go into a complete rebuild like the Celtics did in 2013.

I would be really interested in hearing some kind of alternative plan for success for the Spurs right now that involves staying the course (if they were to be beat badly in 2017 playoffs).  This proposed package from the celtics is a pretty epic one, IMO.
Leonard is a top 5 player in the league. They would be foolish to consider trading him right now. They still have a few years of contending with that team. They have a .768. They are a well run organization and have been able to move on just fine after Duncan retiring.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
How about we just build our own team the way the Spurs did by drafting well.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah, man, the team that found late draft/undrafted gems like Parker, Ginobili, Simmons, Green, etc. is suddenly going to lose faith in their scouting and ability to construct a roster around Kawhi. They've only made the playoffs 20 straight years, they haven't the slightest idea how to build a team.