Author Topic: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.  (Read 19942 times)

Re: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I don't rate Cousins. I never have, and I don't make it a mystery on here either.

I was relieved when I saw he was traded and he was not coming here. I was definitely surprised they traded him for that awful package though. They could have gotten a lot more.

Despite his size, athleticism, talent and individual stats, I have my doubts over how much of that contributes to actual wins for his basketball team. A lot of those stats seem empty compared to the difference other top tier centers make to their basketball teams. Guys like Gobert, Marc Gasol, Embiid, Jokic you can dig a little deeper and see why they make such a profound difference to their basketball team's record.

With Cousins, a lot of people see the ridiculous individual stat lines on losing teams and think he is going to be able to produce those sorts of numbers on a team that is more competitive.  I don't think that is going to be the case. Cousins isn't going to have a 40% usage rate on a contending basketball team. Cousins isn't even going to come close to that on New Orleans with Anthony Davis there. Those individual stats are going to take a hit.

From a celtics' perspective he definitely would have helped our rebounding percentages but I'm not sure he would have helped our ball movement and overall productivity on offense, plus at times, his defensive intensity is lackluster at best.

This isn't even mentioning his attitude and problems with technical fouls and suspensions.

Im not surprised the market from actual NBA GMs was far cooler than what we thought on here.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ainge learned management in the NBA from Red who invented the "modern game."

Ainge hired Stevens.

Ainge passed on DMC.

Cousins has lead the NBA in technical fouls for 6 years.
Cousins has gone through 5 coaches.
Cousins team just gave him away/got rid of him.

If Ainge had traded for the guy I would've been happy as I trust Ainge's judgement.

Here is a thought, what Celtic player was anything close to Cousins from a behavioral stand point? Has a Celtic champion ever lead the NBA in Technical fouls? Have any of them put their own lack of emotional control over "the team."?

Maybe Stevens isn't the coach Boston needs to eventually win another title, but, if I had to choose between Stevens and Cousins today? I'll take the man who's a winner.

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2017, 02:01:37 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Ainge hired Stevens.

Ainge passed on DMC.

If Ainge had traded for the guy I would've been happy as I trust Ainge's judgement.

Here is a thought, what Celtic player was anything close to Cousins from a behavioral stand point? Has a Celtic champion ever lead the NBA in Technical fouls? Have any of them put their own lack of emotional control over "the team."?

Maybe Stevens isn't the coach Boston needs to eventually win another title, but, if I had to choose between Stevens and Cousins today? I'll take the man who's a winner.
KG and Sheed could both accrue a lot of techs, but they weren't petulant like Cousins. KG could get called for a lot of techs, but he had enough self control to avoid an ejection for a second. Cousins sacrifices wins to be able to react however he wants whenever he wants.

That being said, Cousins might be a lot better with Davis around. Davis has more clout to keep him in check in ways past teammates could not.

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2017, 02:27:18 AM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I'm so mad we didn't get Cousins.  He's one of the best in the game.

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

Belichick just sent Jamie Collins packing this year for pennies on the dollar, and Collins was generally considered an All-NFL level talent. And while I certainly don't know the inside scoop on either of these two guys, it sure looks on the outside like Cousins is the more volatile guy of the two.

I think this is one of those situations where the difference between Cousins being worth it or not requires a level of inside knowledge none of us has. I thought he was exactly what we needed, but I also wonder if maybe he's worse than we realize.

The Patriots in one year got rid of two of the most talented players on the team. Two Pro bowl caliber players in Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones.

We won the Superbowl and the reason we dumped both of them for less than they were worth is because they wouldn't" do your job" on and off the field.

Cousins is in line for a 200 million dollar extension. At that point if there is a problem your screwed and you just ruined the franchise.

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Oops.. I didn't mean to post in this football thread. My bad.

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm so mad we didn't get Cousins.  He's one of the best in the game.

One of the best on the court, and one of the worst on & off the court. Go figure

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ainge hired Stevens.

Ainge passed on DMC.

KG and Sheed could both accrue a lot of techs, but they weren't petulant like Cousins. KG could get called for a lot of techs, but he had enough self control to avoid an ejection for a second. Cousins sacrifices wins to be able to react however he wants whenever he wants.

That being said, Cousins might be a lot better with Davis around. Davis has more clout to keep him in check in ways past teammates could not.

Sheed had a good bit less control than KG and was a bit of as malcontent (KG was never accused of that), but nobody ever once said either were bad teammates.  Both were kicked out of playoff games, however.

I feel like DMC is a more aggressive player than Sheed was, I think he has a greater "will to win", but both pale in comparison to KG.  DMC does at least clearly hate losing.  It's something to work with, at least.

Bottom line is, I think Cousins is salvageable, but he needs anger management counseling.

« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Stevens ain't done diddly-squat to expect any Belichick-esque, GOAT level management from him though. Guys forget Bill won with Randy Moss, here Stevens can't even handle a guy pouting on the bench while Bill got great years out of guys like Aaron Hernandez.

I do think Stevens still has a lot to learn about the league, star players, and how to keep egos from setting everything else aflame. If he was that great of a coach, there wouldn't be such concerns. He would be confident in his coaching abilities and say "yeah sure, bring Cousins on."

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As far as whatever Stevens said, I guess it's not concerning to me.  If Ainge is willing to let Stevens have that much influence, whatever bad decisions Ainge makes as a result of that input is on him.

But if I recall, Doc had a lot of pull with Ainge about player personnel moves too, so this wouldn't be uncommon.

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

When Stevens took over I said to my friend this guy may coach here for 20 years. We are already through what his fourth year, and he is most certainly trending up with his stock rising.

I want this guy here for 20 years. This is a team effort with Stevens and Ainge at the forefront.

I want Cousins all along until this year. I made it clear here the guy is not a Celtic. Maybe I'll change my mind, if he matures.

Until then have faith in DA and Brad and the rest of the team.

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Apparently the story attributed indirectly to Grande is BS and as a result so is this thread.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 10 minutes ago

FYI if you missed it...while I'm shocked, shocked to hear about misinformation during trade deadline week, this absolutely did not happen.

Somehow this thread keeps on even though it's been shown that it has no basis in fact.  Stevens never said this.

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

Makes me respect Coach Stevens more. If true, he showed himself unafraid to speak his mind and indicate strongly the type of player he does not want wearing a Celtic uniform.

I agree with him. I have never wanted Cousins anywhere near the Celtic franchise. He is a cancer, a head-case and a soul tortured to such extremes that I sometimes feel badly for him. But the Celts aren't in the business of resolving childhood issues for their players - we are in the business of hanging banners, so let's get on with it !!!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Brad Stevens is too soft to coach in this league. He's going to bring down this entire rebuild with his inability to handle difficult, but talented, players.

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Brad Stevens is too soft to coach in this league. He's going to bring down this entire rebuild with his inability to handle difficult, but talented, players.

Is reading comprehension beyond you?  There was no basis to this claim that Stevens said no.  Do you have any other evidence that Stevens is too soft?