Author Topic: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.  (Read 19951 times)

Re: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2017, 07:59:08 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Here is the press conference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDLArSa8io

At the end he said, "I'm going to work playing every game like it's my last."

If that's not the embodiment of what is considered a Celtic, I don't know what is.  Imagine him on the court with Marcus "The Bulldog" Smart...

I can only dream now.  This hurts.  It really does.

So why doesn't he do it? Why does he take possessions off? Why does he pout to refs while his mans runs down court SF dunks? Why do the whispers about his poor conditioning persist?

He's great at telling himself how much heart he has. Doesn't make it real.

His vast improvement in every facet of his game to be, by far, the best big man in the league proves you wrong.  Not only that, you don't know what you're talking about.

As for the first paragraph, here's what I had to say to someone else who complained that taking possessions off isn't allowed in Boston:

Oh yea?  What flies in Boston?  Been one of the worst rebounding team in the league?  Heading for another 1st or 2nd round bounce?  Or the crapshoot of defensive effort we've dolled out all season long that we were lucky to escape bad teams?  Oh yea, the best big man in the league by far taking off couple of plays off in a season isn't needed in Boston.  Good luck with Zeller, our defensive genius.  That is what we need in Boston.  Oh yea, the defensive genius in our IT department, that flies in Boston.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

If that's not the embodiment of what is considered a Celtic, I don't know what is.  Imagine him on the court with Marcus "The Bulldog" Smart...

You mean this guy?
https://youtu.be/URdDaxGoXC8

He has EVERY right to be sensitive about family subjects.  I would be too.  What does his family has to do with him as a players.  I'm not going to defend some punk azz sports bloger who don't have the discipline to exclude sensitive matters like players family from players themselves.

The reporter in question is Andy Furillo , not a sports blogger. Furthermore the article in question was simply the facts: DeMarcus' brother - a D league basketball player - was at the nightclub with DeMarcus and Matt Barnes on that night and had previously been involved in another nightclub incident not too long before that. He didn't disparage his brother. There was no reason for him to go after a guy twice his age and half his size.  If you don't want anyone calling out your bad behavior, don't behave badly.

He should not report about his brother then stick a freaking recorder or mic in his face to ask him about it.  Zero tolerance on family. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

So why doesn't he do it? Why does he take possessions off? Why does he pout to refs while his mans runs down court SF dunks? Why do the whispers about his poor conditioning persist?

He's great at telling himself how much heart he has. Doesn't make it real.

His vast improvement in every facet of his game to be, by far, the best big man in the league proves you wrong.  Not only that, you don't know what you're talking about.

As for the first paragraph, here's what I had to say to someone else who complained that taking possessions off isn't allowed in Boston:

Oh yea?  What flies in Boston?  Been one of the worst rebounding team in the league?  Heading for another 1st or 2nd round bounce?  Or the crapshoot of defensive effort we've dolled out all season long that we were lucky to escape bad teams?  Oh yea, the best big man in the league by far taking off couple of plays off in a season isn't needed in Boston.  Good luck with Zeller, our defensive genius.  That is what we need in Boston.  Oh yea, the defensive genius in our IT department, that flies in Boston.

Ah. Now I get it. Completely. Thank you!!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
the reaction and tune changing by celtic nation over the trade of Cousins is why I absolutely despise other Celtics fans and the analysts that cover this team. Cousins gets traded to another team and now everyone is saying "he doesn't fit".

"he doesn't fit" because thus far the only thing Brad Stevens has proven is that he can't coach that NBA ego. say what you will about Doc but he got the best out of Baby and Rondo. 2 guys that haven't been liked after their tenure here.

if Stevens thinks he's going to win a championship with a bunch of nice guys we may as well start shopping for a new coach now.

also does this mean it's only a matter of time before Smart is gone? because he seems like more of an NBA player than most of the other guys on the team, or am I reading too much into this?

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the reaction and tune changing by celtic nation over the trade of Cousins is why I absolutely despise other Celtics fans and the analysts that cover this team. Cousins gets traded to another team and now everyone is saying "he doesn't fit".

"he doesn't fit" because thus far the only thing Brad Stevens has proven is that he can't coach that NBA ego. say what you will about Doc but he got the best out of Baby and Rondo. 2 guys that haven't been liked after their tenure here.

if Stevens thinks he's going to win a championship with a bunch of nice guys we may as well start shopping for a new coach now.

also does this mean it's only a matter of time before Smart is gone? because he seems like more of an NBA player than most of the other guys on the team, or am I reading too much into this?

Yes you are. Almost everyone believes that Cousins is a nice player, the problem is we disagree on whether his personality issues are conducive to winning. There is also the issue of the price for a rental. We are not a desperate team. We have options, very good options. When you have the kind of good options we have you do not make a bonehead trade for a guy who will not commit to a long term deal. These kind of desperate deals are for desperate teams like NOP.

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2017, 10:14:58 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Every coach cousins has had in the nba (5) has talked negatively of him after the fact. Multiple players have even tried to get their agents to have them traded since Cousins is such a horrible teammate. This is what ultimately made danny decide not to trade for him.

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Apparently the story attributed indirectly to Grande is BS and as a result so is this thread.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 10 minutes ago

FYI if you missed it...while I'm shocked, shocked to hear about misinformation during trade deadline week, this absolutely did not happen.

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Apparently the story attributed indirectly to Grande is BS and as a result so is this thread.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 10 minutes ago

FYI if you missed it...while I'm shocked, shocked to hear about misinformation during trade deadline week, this absolutely did not happen.

Thanks for sharing.

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2017, 10:29:31 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Might want to revisit this statement.

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

Why bring in BB to compare CBS

You think Popovich , Kerr would want to coach Cousins?

Kerr coaches Draymond Green. Pop coaches Stephen Jackson.

Great coaches get the best out of difficult players, they don't avoid them.
Comparing Green to Cousins doesn't seem reasonable. Green has the respect of all his teammates. His intensity helps the team. It doesn't tear it apart. Much like KG. KG was intense, but didn't thrown in-game tantrums when he didn't like thing. Those other intense guys don't take plays off to protest when they are upset.

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Might want to revisit this statement.

Probably have a few statements that need to be revisited.

My initial reaction to the OP was it was strange that BCS would say that and with my keen hindsight, we should probably have a high degree of sketicism for any statements being attributed to BCS or DA where they directly diss this player or that.

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Why would he get rid of Smart?

You are making up some ridiculous narrative and then pushing Smart out the door despite Stevens clearly liking Smart.

And don't compare Smart to Cousins. They are nothing alike. Smart is intense, but it is because he is focused on the game. Cousins is buried in his own frustration. Smart takes zero plays off, but watch Cousins when he is frustrated.

Cousins is an elite talent, but sometimes elite talents undermine their own success due to personality defects.

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

Why bring in BB to compare CBS

You think Popovich , Kerr would want to coach Cousins?

Kerr coaches Draymond Green. Pop coaches Stephen Jackson.

Great coaches get the best out of difficult players, they don't avoid them.
Comparing Green to Cousins doesn't seem reasonable. Green has the respect of all his teammates. His intensity helps the team. It doesn't tear it apart. Much like KG. KG was intense, but didn't thrown in-game tantrums when he didn't like thing. Those other intense guys don't take plays off to protest when they are upset.
Not only that, green and Jackson are/were not the best players in their team.  Both are essentially role players (though green is very very good). 

**** that there is an abundance of evidence that cousins is a coaches worst nightmare, yet people want to blame Stevens for not wanting to catch the guy.  In this case, common sense wins out.  The choice not to bring a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse into the submarine is a pretty easy one to make.

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:50 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Don't forget Jordan crawford and Even turner
There is a line between coachable and uncoachable
Cousins's talent of emotional control is too terrible that offset his other basketball skills and makes him a net minus on a team

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i wasnt aware that evan turner had a reputation of being a "nice guy" before arriving at the celtics.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva