Author Topic: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.  (Read 19925 times)

Re: Brad Stevens said no about coaching Cousins.
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Belichick this, Belichick that. Repeat with me: non-guaranteed contracts. Belichick has taken on plenty of head cases in the past (Talib, Heinsworth, and Floyd are just the first three that come to mind) -- but what Belichick doesn't (have to) do is sign off 25% of his team's cap to them, guaranteed for 5 years. That is all.

This. I always hate the risk/reward ratio comparisons for football vs basketball for these exact reasons. I mean how many years after the gun incident was WAS still paying Arenas? Non-guaranteeds help out the team and fan bases so much. It is a completely different game.
#JKJB

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Belichick this, Belichick that. Repeat with me: non-guaranteed contracts. Belichick has taken on plenty of head cases in the past (Talib, Heinsworth, and Floyd are just the first three that come to mind) -- but what Belichick doesn't (have to) do is sign off 25% of his team's cap to them, guaranteed for 5 years. That is all.

Correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Does this sound fishy to anyone else?

Why would Brad Stevens tell a member of the media, even if it is the Celtics media, that he does not want to coach a specific player?

I dont think Maxwell or Grande would lie about this but even if Stevens hated Cousins and went into Ainge's office and said "you trade for cousins and I quit" it just doesnt make sense for him to make this opinion public.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Imagine if Bill Belichek had that mindset.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

I agree with your point that Stevens should be open to coaching Cousins, however Bellicheck has cut numerous players that have stepped out of line and just outright not signed some. Heck, just look at this season with Jamie Collins. He started freelancing on plays and not listening to coaches and he was quickly shipped out.

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent, and he's commenting on a guy he's never worked with.

Ask all the guys Belichick cut when more often then not they don't work out. So much easier to cut your losses in NFL. Comparison doesn't work.

The point is, Belicheck doesn't say no to coaching guys because they're difficult.

If Cousins hadn't worked out, how much worse of a position would we have been in? It was low/moderate risk versus extremely high reward.

I agree with your point that Stevens should be open to coaching Cousins, however Bellicheck has cut numerous players that have stepped out of line and just outright not signed some. Heck, just look at this season with Jamie Collins. He started freelancing on plays and not listening to coaches and he was quickly shipped out.
Collins and Jones were the two most talented players on our defense, save maybe hightower.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I don't need to say much else, Roy said everything much better than I would've said them in the thread.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I suppose at some point Somebody from the Celtics will have to address that comment ...

Be interesting to see what Wye or Danny have to say.

I really want to hear from CBS ...his side .

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
No knuckleheads.

No championships.  That's what all these pro Danny's-inaction-puppets aren't considering.  The drought just thicken.  Timing isn't in our favor AT ALL.  Make major moves now the way this team is structured or look down 10 years of make-miss where draftees develop and no surrounding talent to make the team a solid contender or vice versa.  It's even worse in our case because free agents don't willingly sign here.

Danny is very smart.

No, Danny is dumb.  He got lucky few times but he's made more sh!tty moves (not making moves when you have a chance is also part of it) than he has good ones.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:01:40 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Now watch Danny-the-genius overpay decent to awful talents to keep this team afloat lol.  This just became comedy, one I won't let bother me but be entertained by it.  That's the satisfaction I'll get from this, LMAssO.

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent.

That's absurd.  At this point you're letting your Cousins' bias get in the way.

Denver could have easily made the same offer for Cousins as New Orleans did.  They didn't give up too much less to get Mason Plumlee.  They also have apparently the only coach that Cousins ever seemed to play for. That they didn't step up, nor were even rumored to be trying in the last week, should say a good deal about the league wide opinion of Cousins ability to be a good teammate.

If Denver had gotten him for a package of Jamal Murray and a 1st, I'd be a little more upset, because then the front office and coaching staff that knew him best outside of Sacramento would have said "yes, he's worth the trouble." But that they stayed away same as most other teams says that the concerns were very, very real.

Comparing it to the Patriots is completely different too.  Basketball contracts are much more guaranteed than football, so jettisoning someone who doesn't work out is more difficult on the salary cap.  Furthermore, rosters are smaller, top players see a much larger percentage of action, and the ability to find someone viable in mid-year free agency is less.  Belichek, and every football team, can take a risk on a player, because the cost of him not working out is so much less. The Patriots could take a risk on sending a 5th round for Albert Haynesworth, because if he didn't work out, so what.  It's just apples and oranges.  My gut says an NBA version of Belichek wouldn't have been any more interested than Stevens.

Denver has Jokic, who they're building around. They're committing to youth. Malone still admires and stays in touch with DMC.

With regards to Jokic, they just paid a decent price to get Plumlee and his Bird rights.  If they're willing to go forward with that pairing, they certainly should have been willing to go forward with Jokic and Cousins.  If Cousins can't guard 4s well enough for 15-20 minutes a game, I question how good of a fit he'd have been on the court with Horford, who at this point in his career has problems keeping up with quicker PFs.

As for Malone praising Cousins in public -- a lot of people are willing to say nice generalities to reporters.  Malone might truly wish Cousins the best, even.  But, again, they traded a 1st rounder in this draft (that will probably wind up only about 5 spots worse than what Sac wound up getting) and a decent prospect for someone who plays the same position as DMC, but less well, and is 5 months older.  If Cousins is that special a player, then they should have had no problem trading a little bit more for him.  It is not remotely unreasonable to conclude that the Nuggets, who employ both his former coach and GM, decided they weren't interested. And if they weren't, I'm just fine with the Celtics being similarly uninterested.

For starters, Cousins wasn't on the market when they made that trade.

You don't think Cousins was on the market February 12th? Keep in mind that the report of the Magic declining to trade for Cousins came out on February 17th.

why is it so hard to believe that Sac has been actively shopping Cousins for quite a while?

Bc Divac was lying ...  Even one or two days prior to the trade

What a liar

Yes....this has bothered me too.....he was publicly lying ..no doubt ......a LAKER at heart

I don't think as a Laker lifetime lover he wanted to trade an asset like Cousins to the Celtics . 

I think he was intentionally NOT dealing with Danny in a fair open manor because of his hate for the Celtics .   I wonder long ago if this would not be obstacle in the way of Danny ever working a deal for Cousins .

Divac may never have wanted to deal with the Celtics period.   Meaning Celtics would always have to pay more than other teams ....accept being fleeced. 

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Using Belicheck as a standard for the strength of the Cs collective backbone regarding Cousins is just plain lazy.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
IF we had picked up Cousins we would have deserved the implosion.. You don't coach those kinds of players.. You have to coddle them, be friends with them and ignore the fire outside of your house because of them.

When people bring up the "player can change with the winning environment"  I cringe and think about when Rondo was here (Smashing TV's during our winning Environment days)

Also His Agent made it very clear that his client was going to hit the Free Agent market no matter where he was traded to.  How Stupid would we have been to give up any Assets not knowing if we could secure the headcase long term or not.

We have been building with high character strong work ethic guys.. Cousins is neither.   Every player during every interview mentions the chemistry of this team.. Cousin's would have been a direct threat to that. 

After Seeing what Brad saw of Cousins during the games against us, why in the world would he say anything but NO.. 

Coach Brad is not less of a coach for saying that guy cant play here... Pop would have said the exact same thing in the exact way and nobody would have said nothing about it..

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Here is the press conference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDLArSa8io

At the end he said, "I'm going to work playing every game like it's my last."

If that's not the embodiment of what is considered a Celtic, I don't know what is.  Imagine him on the court with Marcus "The Bulldog" Smart...

I can only dream now.  This hurts.  It really does.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:52:17 PM by Clench123 »

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If true, it makes me respect Stevens less. He's not up to the task of trying to mold a generational talent.

That's absurd.  At this point you're letting your Cousins' bias get in the way.

Denver could have easily made the same offer for Cousins as New Orleans did.  They didn't give up too much less to get Mason Plumlee.  They also have apparently the only coach that Cousins ever seemed to play for. That they didn't step up, nor were even rumored to be trying in the last week, should say a good deal about the league wide opinion of Cousins ability to be a good teammate.

If Denver had gotten him for a package of Jamal Murray and a 1st, I'd be a little more upset, because then the front office and coaching staff that knew him best outside of Sacramento would have said "yes, he's worth the trouble." But that they stayed away same as most other teams says that the concerns were very, very real.

Comparing it to the Patriots is completely different too.  Basketball contracts are much more guaranteed than football, so jettisoning someone who doesn't work out is more difficult on the salary cap.  Furthermore, rosters are smaller, top players see a much larger percentage of action, and the ability to find someone viable in mid-year free agency is less.  Belichek, and every football team, can take a risk on a player, because the cost of him not working out is so much less. The Patriots could take a risk on sending a 5th round for Albert Haynesworth, because if he didn't work out, so what.  It's just apples and oranges.  My gut says an NBA version of Belichek wouldn't have been any more interested than Stevens.

Denver has Jokic, who they're building around. They're committing to youth. Malone still admires and stays in touch with DMC.

With regards to Jokic, they just paid a decent price to get Plumlee and his Bird rights.  If they're willing to go forward with that pairing, they certainly should have been willing to go forward with Jokic and Cousins.  If Cousins can't guard 4s well enough for 15-20 minutes a game, I question how good of a fit he'd have been on the court with Horford, who at this point in his career has problems keeping up with quicker PFs.

As for Malone praising Cousins in public -- a lot of people are willing to say nice generalities to reporters.  Malone might truly wish Cousins the best, even.  But, again, they traded a 1st rounder in this draft (that will probably wind up only about 5 spots worse than what Sac wound up getting) and a decent prospect for someone who plays the same position as DMC, but less well, and is 5 months older.  If Cousins is that special a player, then they should have had no problem trading a little bit more for him.  It is not remotely unreasonable to conclude that the Nuggets, who employ both his former coach and GM, decided they weren't interested. And if they weren't, I'm just fine with the Celtics being similarly uninterested.

For starters, Cousins wasn't on the market when they made that trade.

You don't think Cousins was on the market February 12th? Keep in mind that the report of the Magic declining to trade for Cousins came out on February 17th.

why is it so hard to believe that Sac has been actively shopping Cousins for quite a while?

Bc Divac was lying ...  Even one or two days prior to the trade

What a liar

Yes....this has bothered me too.....he was publicly lying ..no doubt ......a LAKER at heart

I don't think as a Laker lifetime lover he wanted to trade an asset like Cousins to the Celtics . 

I think he was intentionally NOT dealing with Danny in a fair open manor because of his hate for the Celtics .   I wonder long ago if this would not be obstacle in the way of Danny ever working a deal for Cousins .

Divac may never have wanted to deal with the Celtics period.   Meaning Celtics would always have to pay more than other teams ....accept being fleeced.
Hahahaha. This is some pretty funny stuff.

Wait. You did mean this as comedy, right? You're not serious, are you?

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
And to people using the lame excuse of him being a 1 year rental, do Cousins seem like Bynum or Dwight Howard to you?  Comparing Cousins, someone with so much passion for the game and someone who is loyal to a fault, to couple of fickle bums who has no love or passion to the game is just ridiculous.