Author Topic: Washburn: C's didn't want to sign Cousins for 200 mil extension (Article)  (Read 5617 times)

Re: Washburn: C's didn't want to sign Cousins for 200 mil extension (Article)
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
In Danny and Brad we trust.    Those guys care more about he Celtics than we do.... and know more than we do.   

That said, not every decision they make is correct.

So far Dannys Celtics are a top 3 team out of the east, have a potential top 3-5 pick in the 2017, 2018 drafts.. Cap space  for 2017

Things looking very good.... And if an Anthony Davis is ready to go, well then Danny will pounce .... It looks like it has to be Anthony Davis , healthy Embiid type mature super talent

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I was a supporter of the sign Boogie move.

I'm a bit shocked Celtics did not move to sign him as a fan .  But ,

knowing the conservative approach most decisions are based on.  Level headed attitudes rule the day in Boston.  Everybody had to be on the same page ....unlike the fighting and confrontation in many franchises.  They probably wished to avoid drama.

Maybe hard to pin point one just reason the franchise passed on this. 

I d say it was more about DA. , CBS/ his coaches and Owners NOT forming a concensious to GO after Boogie .  Weighing the pros and cons from THEIR prospective.  Not mine .....I d signed him in NY sec.

I imagine three groups met , spoke their peace and thumbs down FROM any two most likely kill d the deal.

To keep the peace and harmony of the Owners, coaching staff and DA front office they must have not seen bringing him here as the best interest .

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Apparently, Ainge thinks Justise Winslow is worth more than Cousins.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Perhaps he is. At some point all those who want to overlook Cousins' character issues should at least humor the 29 GMs in the NBA that said no.

I like his game, but I was scared of the character issues. Like I posted yesterday he just strikes me as a loose cannon who could blow up at any time, especially after getting the huge contract. His agent probably just wanted him in Sacramento for the big payday. It also is striking that a player of his talent accepted mediocrity in Sacramento without requesting a trade. That is not a leader. He seems to be all about the money, and that also hurt his trade value.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Perhaps he is. At some point all those who want to overlook Cousins' character issues should at least humor the 29 GMs in the NBA that said no.

I like his game, but I was scared of the character issues. Like I posted yesterday he just strikes me as a loose cannon who could blow up at any time, especially after getting the huge contract. His agent probably just wanted him in Sacramento for the big payday. It also is striking that a player of his talent accepted mediocrity in Sacramento without requesting a trade. That is not a leader. He seems to be all about the money, and that also hurt his trade value.

Forcing a trade is now a sign of leadership?

29 teams didn't pass on him, btw. At most a handful had the assets, contracts, need, and roster to have a trade make sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

We will never know what picks were offered for Winslow (or maybe Turner) but I have never read a reputable source that included any of the Brooklyn picks. Picks like for Hunter, Rozier and future non Brooklyn maybe. Would we have gotten Cousins for that package?  Doubtful.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Forcing a trade is now a sign of leadership?

29 teams didn't pass on him, btw. At most a handful had the assets, contracts, need, and roster to have a trade make sense.

I get what you are saying, but we are talking about an MVP candidate (by the numbers), not niche player. Essentially every team could use a player like Cousins and every team could have assembled an offer better than the price NOP ended up paying - including NOP.

When people bring up the point that 29 other teams (Sac included) skipped out on the opportunity to add an MVP level candidate, they mean that, without attitude issues, every team would have been happy to add him for such a bargain basement price.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I would have given up a similar package to get Cousins, but then I'm just a fan.  GMs know more then we do.  If that was the best offer than there was a lot of reservation thought the leauge.  Someone said that Denver gave up more for plumlee and their staff was familiar with Cousins.  Maybe they knew something that we as fans don't.  Maybe IT who played with Cousins knows something we as fans don't and shared that with Danny.  NO may turn out to look like geniuses but if it blows up they gave up relatively little so it shouldn't ruin them.   Good for NO taking a bold step but I think we are so close that patience is a better course of action.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Np
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:00:57 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Then you acquire Cousins for Brown and BKN 18 and don't re-sign him after the 2018 season.  Those two playoff runs would be worth it because with Cousins I can't see how Boston isn't in at least the ECF both of those years (if not the Finals or winning).  Cleveland is vulnerable this year both as the 1 seed and in the playoffs given Love's shaky health.  Cleveland can't guard Cousins effectively, which creates a huge matchup problem.  Boston should have gone all in if the price to acquire Cousins was that low.  It really is unacceptable that Boston didn't make the move.

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Bradley / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

Plus a top-4 pick in the off-season.

I think that that team gives Cleveland fits.

What about GS?  San Antonio?

"think"...no, that team will absolutely destroy Cleveland.

GSW's front court can't stop the Celtics' front court if it was a Horford/Cousins tower. They have nothing in the frontcourt. Plus, the C's would still have Crowder, Smart, and IT4 who can D up GSW backcourt. They will certainly stun the Warriors. Don't even mention the Spurs, they won't stand a chance. I don't even know if they'll get past OKC or the Rockets in the playoffs to begin with, let alone the Warriors. But that's the West's problem so it's all good for the C's.

The Celtics would have been instant championship contenders had they gotten Cousins, IMO.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
This just tells me that they don't believe in Cousins.  That's fine.  I'm disappointed, but I get it.   

We were in a great position yesterday.  We're still in a great position today.   

Actually we were in a terrible position yesterday, and we're in an even worse position today!
The thought that we might as well not "go for it" because the Warriors can't be beat for a couple of years baffling!  Curry and Durant are only 28, and Draymond and Klay only 26!  Barring some terrible injury, these guys are going to be unbeatable for probably another 5-6 years! Also looking at some of the other top teams currently:

Cavs: LBJ, Kyrie, and Love
Clippers: CP3, DAJ, Griffin
Spurs: Leonard, Aldridge, and anyone else with Pop as head coach

Into the future

NOP: DMC, AD, and DHoliday
6er's: Embid, Simmons, Saric( and yes I'd switch rosters with them right now as far as a bright future!)

Boston: with our one bitty superstar IT

We could have added one of the top 5 players in the league yesterday and we didn't.  A boatload of "assets" is nothing if you don't use them!  Chances to aquire that talented a player come along maybe once in a decade!  If you have the assets to make that trade and don't, you don't really have any assets!  Disgrace and disgusting!  We just got ALOT farther away from banner 18.
Could we draft the next Bird, Jordan, or LeBron in this years draft?  We better!

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What's truly instructive about all this is not what Danny thought. It's that with 29 other teams potentially in the bidding, nearly all of whom could use a player with Cousins' talent, the best offer was one semi-promising rookie, a late first-round pick and some other odds and ends.

That's the market consensus on his value right there. It's not because of his numbers, which are about the best in the league, so it must be the attitude/locker room issues. I've seen no other plausible explanation. (The "rental" story is overblown given the length of his contract, and even there, that is an incredibly low price for a 1.5 year rental of an MVP-level talent. What would teams give up for 1.5 years of Kevin Durant or James Harden, particularly with a fair shot at re-signing them anyway?).

Not a single team thought his talent justified beating the NOP offer in light of the other concerns. It doesn't mean the trade will end up being wise for the Pelicans, but it speaks volumes about the perception of Cousins around the league, among those with true insider information.
This is spot on. Many teams could've gone after him. Apparently they didn't and I have to think it's because they know even more bad stuff about him then we do. And I know enough to not want him even for that cheap.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
These quotes from the Globe article are very telling:

"The Celtics, a source said, simply could not overlook all the warning signs that were associated with Cousins. The forward played for six coaches during his stay in Sacramento, and Celtics staffers had spoken to most of them at various times after they left that organization.

And time and again, any mention of Cousins turned ominous, the source said. Agents for other Kings players had even reached out to teams hoping to find new homes for their clients, primarily citing the difficulties that came from playing with Cousins.

The source emphasized that Cousins was generally viewed as a good person off the court by those around him.

“But it’s his on-court demeanor, his play, his effort, that type of stuff,” the source said. “It’s just really hard when you can’t find one basketball person [to vouch for him].”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/20/celtics-were-never-interested-demarcus-cousins/7Cgggokz7CPKgfjN2CakWM/story.html

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One disconnect I don't understand: none of the other 29 teams wanted him at a very modest price, but he's going to get a $180 - $200 million max contract?

Why? If no teams are interested, it sounds like he'll be lucky to get half that, or even less.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
One disconnect I don't understand: none of the other 29 teams wanted him at a very modest price, but he's going to get a $180 - $200 million max contract?

Why? If no teams are interested, it sounds like he'll be lucky to get half that, or even less.

Well, he still hasn't gotten that contract. If things go sour in NO, he may not get it.