Author Topic: Washburn: C's didn't want to sign Cousins for 200 mil extension (Article)  (Read 5653 times)

Re: Washburn: C's didn't want to sign Cousins for 200 mil extension (Article)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Then you acquire Cousins for Brown and BKN 18 and don't re-sign him after the 2018 season.  Those two playoff runs would be worth it because with Cousins I can't see how Boston isn't in at least the ECF both of those years (if not the Finals or winning).  Cleveland is vulnerable this year both as the 1 seed and in the playoffs given Love's shaky health.  Cleveland can't guard Cousins effectively, which creates a huge matchup problem.  Boston should have gone all in if the price to acquire Cousins was that low.  It really is unacceptable that Boston didn't make the move.

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Bradley / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

Plus a top-4 pick in the off-season.

I think that that team gives Cleveland fits.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Then you acquire Cousins for Brown and BKN 18 and don't re-sign him after the 2018 season.  Those two playoff runs would be worth it because with Cousins I can't see how Boston isn't in at least the ECF both of those years (if not the Finals or winning).  Cleveland is vulnerable this year both as the 1 seed and in the playoffs given Love's shaky health.  Cleveland can't guard Cousins effectively, which creates a huge matchup problem.  Boston should have gone all in if the price to acquire Cousins was that low.  It really is unacceptable that Boston didn't make the move.

I think Danny has a much higher opinion of Brown's and the 2018 pick's value, than to trade them in for a chance to get beat by the Warriors in consecutive years. Only to start rebuilding all over again without assets. Talk about short sighted. At least with KG trade we became immediate favorites to win right away. Not the case with this move. Not to mention the heaping dose of angina.

I'd rather stay the course, be patient and develop our farm system, which is rich with promise.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Bradley / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

What about GS?  San Antonio?

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

Offline BCelticFanInLA

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Cousins is a nut.

Didn't want him in the first place, certainly don't want him for $200 million.

Ainge gets no criticism here for passing on this certifiable headache.

I agree. Not to mention he didn't want to come to Boston in the first place; Or was that someone, who looks just like him, saying he didn't want to play in Boston, this time last year?

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Bradley / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

I think that team is better than San Antonio.

Golden State is the best team on paper, but upsets happen.  If Iggy and Livingston leave GS next season and our draft pick develops (or we traded it to further improve) the gap gets even smaller.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Bradley / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

Golden State is the best team on paper, but upsets happen.  If Iggy and Livingston leave GS next season and our draft pick develops (or we traded it to further improve) the gap gets even smaller.

In theory

We will see what happens with NOC. If they play well. Make noise... People will be chanting 'fire Danny'

But if not and are actually are worst off...

Will you admit , Cousins stats cant save his problem child attitude?

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What's truly instructive about all this is not what Danny thought. It's that with 29 other teams potentially in the bidding, nearly all of whom could use a player with Cousins' talent, the best offer was one semi-promising rookie, a late first-round pick and some other odds and ends.

That's the market consensus on his value right there. It's not because of his numbers, which are about the best in the league, so it must be the attitude/locker room issues. I've seen no other plausible explanation. (The "rental" story is overblown given the length of his contract, and even there, that is an incredibly low price for a 1.5 year rental of an MVP-level talent. What would teams give up for 1.5 years of Kevin Durant or James Harden, particularly with a fair shot at re-signing them anyway?).

Not a single team thought his talent justified beating the NOP offer in light of the other concerns. It doesn't mean the trade will end up being wise for the Pelicans, but it speaks volumes about the perception of Cousins around the league, among those with true insider information.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
What's truly instructive about all this is not what Danny thought. It's that with 29 other teams potentially in the bidding, nearly all of whom could use a player with Cousins' talent, the best offer was one semi-promising rookie, a late first-round pick and some other odds and ends.

That's the market consensus on his value right there. It's not because of his numbers, which are about the best in the league, so it must be the attitude/locker room issues. I've seen no other plausible explanation. (The "rental" story is overblown given the length of his contract, and even there, that is an incredibly low price for a 1.5 year rental of an MVP-level talent. What would teams give up for 1.5 years of Kevin Durant or James Harden, particularly with a fair shot at re-signing them anyway?).

Not a single team thought his talent justified beating the NOP offer in light of the other concerns. It doesn't mean the trade will end up being wise for the Pelicans, but it speaks volumes about the perception of Cousins around the league, among those with true insider information.

Ditto.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO
Crowder / Casspi / Green
Bradley / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

In theory

We will see what happens with NOC. If they play well. Make noise... People will be chanting 'fire Danny'

But if not and are actually are worst off...

Will you admit , Cousins stats cant save his problem child attitude?

If NOP gets significantly worse, maybe.

However, Alvin Gentry is a bad coach. I don't expect to see a huge rebound in New Orleans until they have a better system there.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
In Danny and Brad we trust.    Those guys care more about he Celtics than we do.... and know more than we do.   

Diggles

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I think Danny has a much higher opinion of Brown's and the 2018 pick's value, than to trade them in for a chance to get beat by the Warriors in consecutive years. Only to start rebuilding all over again without assets. Talk about short sighted. At least with KG trade we became immediate favorites to win right away. Not the case with this move. Not to mention the heaping dose of angina.

I'd rather stay the course, be patient and develop our farm system, which is rich with promise.

Seriously, it`s like "pick your poison", but with supermodels instead of poison.

We`re fine either way, which is a testament to how strong our current position really is.

Everything else on Celticsblog right now is just a matter of taste at best, and nit-picking and complaining on the highest level at worst.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In Danny and Brad we trust.    Those guys care more about he Celtics than we do.... and know more than we do.   

That said, not every decision they make is correct.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

pretty solid assessment of the situation.

the stuff we don't see on the court has to be of significant concerns to the GMs around the league that could have offered as much, if not more, for a guy that is a top center in the league

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
The price of being wrong in the NBA - especially in this case - is steep.  You can cripple your franchise for years to come.  Danny - or maybe it was ownership - didn't want to pay that price.  I can respect that. 

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
This just tells me that they don't believe in Cousins.  That's fine.  I'm disappointed, but I get it.   

We were in a great position yesterday.  We're still in a great position today.   

agree w this :)