Poll

What Do You Want Ainge To Do By February 23?

Nothing At All. Keep Rolling!
17 (21%)
Small Addition. Like Tucker, O'Quinn Or Someone Similar.
37 (45.7%)
BIG TRADE. Butler Or George! (1 BKN Pick + Players/Assets Is Fine!)
27 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...  (Read 15101 times)

Re: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
With Amir at 12 million and Zeller at 8 million when they are a clear step behind the rest of the starting lineup, those guys might just end up being dead money if they are not moved. No one will take them without picks attached or good young players, both of which we have an embarrassment of. So this is not complacency as many of you think, it is Ainge looking to fleece somebody and the teams are already turned off, too many GMs have already been embarrassed by this man. This team is still unproven in the playoffs and Ainge will be a fool to stand pat based on results that aren't there, if he stands pat is because draft day is when he will actually know what to do.

RJ Hunter was cut because the team simply took on way too many rookies in 2015. Jackson or Mickey might be next if Ainge keeps playing both sides. IT, Bradley, Smart, or Rozier might be next if he drafts another guard and they are really good. Tough choices, but I honestly don't see what the clear option is for the C's that will allow them to overthrow Cleveland this year or the next. I know we can win a regular season game against the Cavs with Butler on the team, I'm just not so sure about a playoff series. Butler's is as unproven in the playoffs as this C's team. They say draft picks are gamble but so is cashing out everything that's been built to this point on the chance that Butler + C's Core = "Transcendent Player" and he'll all of a sudden become a player that is not inferior to LeBron.

Amir is expiring and Zeller is non guaranteed for next year, so they aren't negative assets, they're just kind of there.  They're great for salary matching purposes (as there's no long term money to necessitate including a pick), and there's no long term loss from keeping them, so they're just kind of there.

Hunter probably wouldn't have been cut if we had an extra roster spot, but let's not pretend like he was an actual asset.  There's a reason that the Bulls decided they'd rather have an empty roster spot (which they still haven't filled!) than Hunter.  The number of rookies didn't help his chances, but if we're honest, he didn't have great chances of making it in the NBA anyway.

And Butler has 29 playoff games under his belt (I'm ignoring the 4 total minutes over 3 games he played in 2011-12), so he's a bit more playoff seasoned than the Celtics (only Horford has played more playoff games - Bradley is 2nd on the team with only 21).  He did well over 12 games in 2014-15, so I wouldn't say that he's unproven.  He's not gonna take down Lebron on his own (which is just another reason to wait until the offseason if we want to get him), but don't sell him short.

I understand both those guys are not guaranteed next year, but the point is why sign them to so much expiring money to just let them walk?... just seems like that goes against whatever Danny intended to do with those contracts. That's why I believe a trade will happen, whether big or small.
Why?  For cap space to sign 2 max FA's over the summer.  I would not say it was pointless to sign them.  They did help the team this year.

Adequate placeholders, I guess. Things are going great and we have the best problems in the NBA. I'd just like to see something done about all these offensive boards we've been allowing this season. Personally think that's why we lost against the Bulls(aside from BS call).

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Not by me, but if Danny doesn't deal the Brooklyn 17 pick and it ends up 4th the usual suspects on this board are going to scream bloody murder.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Not by me, but if Danny doesn't deal the Brooklyn 17 pick and it ends up 4th the usual suspects on this board are going to scream bloody murder.

Lol I think they will scream that tomorrow after 3 PM anyways.

Especially everyone on Twitter haha.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Lol I think they will scream that tomorrow after 3 PM anyways.

Especially everyone on Twitter haha.

I got a feeling it's gonna be so quiet at 3 o clock tommorrow you could hear a feather hit the floor.

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Funny thing is that most of us in this title thread ended up being the minority and 79.8% want trade of some sort.

I guess the most = equals the least of us.

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Funny thing is that most of us in this title thread ended up being the minority and 79.8% want trade of some sort.

I don't think most people consider a minor deal for a guy like Bogut to be a "win now" move.  You can be patient while also using minimal assets (like Zeller and second rounders) to plug a hole for a year or two.  Not being patient means going all in right now
I'm bitter.

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think most people consider a minor deal for a guy like Bogut to be a "win now" move.  You can be patient while also using minimal assets (like Zeller and second rounders) to plug a hole for a year or two.  Not being patient means going all in right now

Yeah a minor move is considered staying patient.

Unless you think Bogut or Tucker are the missing championship pieces..

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Nets 17 pick can be no worse than Top 3 ? Or was it Top 4?

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Nets 17 pick can be no worse than Top 3 ? Or was it Top 4?
4. Four. For. Fore.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Tatum projected as 4th pick and had 19 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists v Cuse tonight. 4th pick is still going to be awesome!!

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Tatum projected as 4th pick and had 19 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists v Cuse tonight. 4th pick is still going to be awesome!!

Yeah this draft is DEEP.

That being said, I wonder, if they do deal the 2017 BKN Pick (hypothetically), do they make another trade somewhere to get a mid-first rounder?

This draft is flush with talent, from 1-20 if you ask me.

The T'Wolves 2nd rounder is valuable too a bit at around 35.

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Adam Himmelsbach: Hearing that there have still been no substantial talks between Celtics and either Pacers or Bulls this week. 6 hours ago – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

It looks like Ainge is staying the patient course despite a whole lot of rumors.

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2017, 10:17:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Adam Himmelsbach: Hearing that there have still been no substantial talks between Celtics and either Pacers or Bulls this week. 6 hours ago – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

It looks like Ainge is staying the patient course despite a whole lot of rumors.

Fake News