Poll

What Do You Want Ainge To Do By February 23?

Nothing At All. Keep Rolling!
17 (21%)
Small Addition. Like Tucker, O'Quinn Or Someone Similar.
37 (45.7%)
BIG TRADE. Butler Or George! (1 BKN Pick + Players/Assets Is Fine!)
27 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...  (Read 15068 times)

Re: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
"Most of us?"  Are you delusional?

I mean the poll is pretty much tied so it's not that far fetched of a belief.

Also in the article about "should c's trade 2017 BKN Pick for Butler", more people voted "No".

Then how are you getting Jimmy? People think they should try again in the summer rather than overpaying for him now (which is likely the case).

You are NOT delusional, because you are absolutely right. If you look at your poll results , 18 want a big trade now and 25 don't. Sounds like "most of us" to me.

TP.

EDIT: Now 27-18

Like I wouldn't mind a PG13 or Butler trade at all, but I wouldn't overpay dearly for either right now.. but the "win now" squad would which is kind of scary unless you are fine with 2-3 years of "contention with zero titles" and then another "perpetual rebuild" starting 3 years later...
how would acquiring all star or higher level players in their mid 20's only yield 2 to 3 years of contention?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Butler will be 28 in Sept.,George 27 in May.Players peek at 28.Top years are 26-31 .They are not mid twenties. Players with 0-6  years can get max of 25% of cap or 25.7m w/9.5%raises.7-9 years 30% or 30.6m. Special players (all stars) can get 35% $41m. Players at cap levels can kill your team,if they are in their 30,s and not worth it. Best bets are players coming off their rookie deals like AD etc.Still young enough to earn max levels. Look how old player will be in middle/end of max.Over 31 ?

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
"Most of us?"  Are you delusional?

I mean the poll is pretty much tied so it's not that far fetched of a belief.

Also in the article about "should c's trade 2017 BKN Pick for Butler", more people voted "No".

Then how are you getting Jimmy? People think they should try again in the summer rather than overpaying for him now (which is likely the case).

You are NOT delusional, because you are absolutely right. If you look at your poll results , 18 want a big trade now and 25 don't. Sounds like "most of us" to me.

TP.

EDIT: Now 27-18
I'm pretty sure that person broke the forum rules. He's also wrong. So if anyone is delusional, it's him.

I voted for a small trade, but not for those two guys. Tucker looks superfluous. We could use a big. I'd like Danny to get us a serviceable old-school center. He doesn't have to be as good as Gasol or Gortat, but a pure five could provide nice balance.

Nothing At All. Keep Rolling!
9 (16.7%)

Small Addition. Like Tucker, O'Quinn Or Someone Similar.
24 (44.4%)BIG TRADE.

Butler Or George! (1 BKN Pick + Players/Assets Is Fine!)
21 (38.9%)
Total Members Voted: 54

It's 33-21 against the whiners.

We got Horford. Maybe we will get a free agent over the off-season. Zizic could definitely pan out. We don't need Butler or anyone. These free agents are going to want to join us if we have the cap room. Why spend assets to get them?

I think Danny might do something and get us a center. Or else it's all on Zeller as the potential next guy up in playoffs. It's too late for Mickey to make it. Although I said that about James Young.

We need games. This is a total silly season. I checked the calendar. There will be two or three more days of this nonsense.

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The longer we wait to get a star and compete ......the cost of keeping the team is going to sky rocket .......we will wind up with a huge payroll .     

If DA waits for the perfect storm to use the assets .....will th eowners buy into paying the luxury tax to keep the players we need to win a title ...... a la Cavs .

I don't see how to put together a team to beat these guys without going into luxury tax.   Everybody is getting max money.

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2017, 01:31:43 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
What percentage of teams that build patiently with draft picks win titles?

What are the chances that any of our picks become all-stars, let alone HOF superstars (the type of draft picks that lift teams to titles).

The first team that comes to mind is the Thunder of recent years—lots of great draft picks, but only one trip to the Finals, and no titles. Lots of great talent, but it didn't work out.

Then I thought of the Spurs—the Robinson-Duncan and the Duncan-Parker-Ginobili iterations. But San Antonio was super fortunate—the Spurs already had a HOFer in Robinson, and he suffered a serious injury, missed a whole season, and the pingpong balls bounced SA's way instead of Boston's, and the Spurs landed a generational talent and HOFer in Duncan.

I think most teams follow neither of the above examples—they don't land multiple HOFers in the draft, and they don't even draft multiple all-stars.

Boston's in a unique, or at least rare, situation, having had a couple of high draft picks of its own, plus a couple of even higher ones from another team, all in successive years. That's quite a few cracks at getting top talent—either by using those picks, and/or trading them for established talent—in a short period of time, and I think the next couple of years will see Danny either cement a reputation as one of the game's all-time-great GMs or come "oh so close but oh so far away."

I suppose the safest route is to keep the picks and use them, making only minor trades and signings along the way to shore up the bench, and hope like heck Danny hits on a star (or two). Then again, Horford isn't getting any younger, and IT, Bradley, Crowder, and KO will be up for much bigger contracts before long. Should Danny take all of his swings in the draft, or some in the draft and some with trades for established stars? I admit that it was hard for me to see Cousins not traded here, but I have come to grips with the wisdom of that (non)decision, and I don't blame Ainge for seeing him as too big a risk.

Anyway, Danny has some tough decisions to make (in addition to whatever ones he's already made). I wish him well.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Today's situation is very reminiscent of the Bird era. Red hoarded alot of draft picks and used them as both trading chips and assets. Detroit's 1st was held by the Celtics and was traded to Golden State for a young talented center in Robert Parish and their 3rd pick which landed Kevin McHale.

Parish was 27 when we acquired him, but we got him for a 2 for 1 deal that also landed us McHale. Danny could use the BKN 2017 to draft Fultz and trade him for the highest bidder on the draft and could possibly settle for Jackson and one more additional solid young talent. I don't think sending it for Butler is the best value for it.

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Celtics = Patriots!

What do I mean?  The Patriots are going in to the off season with 60+ million in cap space, something like the sixth most of any team.  They also have potential trade chips in JimmyG and if they wanted, Gronk (I don't believe they will, but it has been talked about).  all of this, and they are defending SB champs.

Celtics have cap space in the off season to add a max contract, they are competing for the 1 or 2 seed in the east, and still have the assets that Danny has accumulated in draft picks.

Maybe DA is spending some time with BB on VII Rings!

Stay the course Danny.......

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:53:15 AM by boscel33 »
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Butler will be 28 in Sept.,George 27 in May.Players peek at 28.Top years are 26-31 .They are not mid twenties. Players with 0-6  years can get max of 25% of cap or 25.7m w/9.5%raises.7-9 years 30% or 30.6m. Special players (all stars) can get 35% $41m. Players at cap levels can kill your team,if they are in their 30,s and not worth it. Best bets are players coming off their rookie deals like AD etc.Still young enough to earn max levels. Look how old player will be in middle/end of max.Over 31 ?
Cousins is 26 though and that was what this thread began talking about.  and most players don't end their prime till 32 or so and then have a gradual decline for a couple of seasons before really falling off.  You can look to our recent Big 3 for a pretty solid example of that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I actually don't see a course which we are going. If we'll pull back yet at another deadline, I can't figure out what do we do with all these good (not great) players and tons of picks. OK, we take Ball or Fultz, but then what do we do with Thomas?! We have to choose something. Now is the time, otherwise all this waiting tactic could backfire on us.

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2017, 09:26:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I actually don't see a course which we are going. If we'll pull back yet at another deadline, I can't figure out what do we do with all these good (not great) players and tons of picks. OK, we take Ball or Fultz, but then what do we do with Thomas?! We have to choose something. Now is the time.

Unless we have a path to a championship THIS year, I would argue now is definitely not the time. Deadlines make people do crazy things. See Thornton for IT a couple of years ago or Hield for Cousins this year. Unless we are winning the trade, I am all set with what we have (barring a small trade using a couple of 2nds to shore up our rebounding)

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The longer we wait to get a star and compete ......the cost of keeping the team is going to sky rocket .......we will wind up with a huge payroll .     

If DA waits for the perfect storm to use the assets .....will th eowners buy into paying the luxury tax to keep the players we need to win a title ...... a la Cavs .

I don't see how to put together a team to beat these guys without going into luxury tax.   Everybody is getting max money.

Sometimes I think Danny is running an experiment to see how many undersized guys who can't rebound he can fit onto one roster. I mean it seems we're all set to draft yet another guard with the Brooklyn pick this year when we already have Bradley, Smart, IT, and Rozier fighting over playing time.

I guess the trade market is what it is, but if Drummond/Butler/George get moved for a reasonable price at the deadline, I really question what in the heck we're doing. We at least need Bogut..

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The poll result doesn't seem to agree with the topic title.  :laugh:

Most posters want something to happen--because they sense the team has weaknesses to address or the season might well be wasted. Especially that rebounder up front. I think at least something along those lines will happen. I doubt Butler or George are available, but you never know. Drummond looms as a sleeper. Bogut looks like the safest bet.

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Best trade Bradley off , before he demands a max contract and draft Fultz to play with Smart and Brown ......future stars on the cheap,.

Then trade for Drummond and Noel.

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Celtics = Patriots!

Stay the course Danny.......

The Celtics are not the Patriots.

The Patriots win Super Bowls every other year--almost.

The Celtics haven't won a Championship in almost 10 years.

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The poll result doesn't seem to agree with the topic title.  :laugh:

Most posters want something to happen--because they sense the team has weaknesses to address or the season might well be wasted. Especially that rebounder up front. I think at least something along those lines will happen. I doubt Butler or George are available, but you never know. Drummond looms as a sleeper. Bogut looks like the safest bet.

Yeah. The goal posts are on the move. Again.

Fascinating, inaccurate and convenient how a minor move has suddenly become "stay the course," isn't it?

Those poll results are clear - the vast majority want something to happen. That isn't "staying the patient course" the OP advocates - in thread after thread after thread he starts.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."