Poll

What Do You Want Ainge To Do By February 23?

Nothing At All. Keep Rolling!
17 (21%)
Small Addition. Like Tucker, O'Quinn Or Someone Similar.
37 (45.7%)
BIG TRADE. Butler Or George! (1 BKN Pick + Players/Assets Is Fine!)
27 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...  (Read 15109 times)

Re: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm staying with the Development. Warriors are too good. I would like to see DA make the following moves

- Trade AB and KO for Miles Turner and Ellis at deadline.
-Draft Fultz, Ball or Jackson via Nets pick.
-Move two lower seconds and C's 2018 for Giles. Take the gamble.
-Bring in Yab to replace Jerebko and Zizic to replace Zeller.
-Sign Hayward.

IT/Nets 2017 (Fultz)
Hayward/Smart
Crowder/Brown
Horford/Yab/Giles
Turner/Zizic

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm staying with the Development. Warriors are too good. I would like to see DA make the following moves

-Sign Hayward.

IT/Nets 2017 (Fultz)
Hayward/Smart
Crowder/Brown
Horford/Yab/Giles
Turner/Zizic

I honestly don't see any way Indiana trades Turner at this point...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Celtic fan since 1953. We have waited years to get low picks to build a championship team. We may now have 2016 Brown-2017 Fultz-2018 Ayton. I dont believe you blow this for 28 year old future max players. Butler etc. ,who will be at max contracts,at ages 29-34. Add Zizic,KO-Smart- as base.We still have Horford for 4 years at max. It, and AB, Rozier,Crowder will hold the fort for 2 years. We have cap space for FA.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
"Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies"

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Celtic fan since 1953. We have waited years to get low picks to build a championship team. We may now have 2016 Brown-2017 Fultz-2018 Ayton. I don't believe you blow this for 28-year-old future max players.

You can't guarantee that any of these guys are not busts, either.   That includes Brown who shows some promise but right now he is not a world beater.    Fultz team has a brutal record and that does not indicate that he is a guy who can carry a team on his shoulders and win.  Ayton is up in the air but he looks to be the real deal but face it he is a finesse player and has shown a lot of passiveness and complacency at times.  Out of all those, I am most excited about Ayton in all honesty.  But all of them have more risk than Butler who is proven.

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Yes you need elite talent, but the vast majority of elite talent is actually acquired in the draft.  After that trades have been the next most likely way to acquire talent (and most of those trades are made utilizing very high draft picks).  In fact, until this year basically just Shaq and Lebron were the top level players going to a team that won a title via free agency (Durant obviously might join that list).  Even if you expand those requirements to the final 4 teams every year (i.e. CF or Finals), you don't change any of those lists very much.

Indeed. TP.

Saying "you have a low chance to draft a HOF talent who leads you to a championship" is an empty statement without understanding the flip side, which is that signing a HOF free agent or trading for a HOF player who leads you to a ring is even rarer. In fact, as far as I can tell it's next to impossible, unless you are Miami or LA, which have obvious advantages that we don't. (Cleveland isn't an example of how to do it in free agency - it's not like anyone other than Cleveland posed real competition in signing Lebron, he is a home-grown talent as far as I'm concerned.)

By my reckoning, if you take the last 35-36 championships going back to the beginning of the modern (Bird/Magic) era , around 30 were won by teams with home-grown talent at the top of their rosters. There are some gray areas, so you could quibble that the number is 27 or 31, perhaps, but the overall result is there.

Not saying we shouldn't try to do it via trades or FA, but history certainly doesn't tell us that drafting is the wrong way to go. You can do it both ways.

And, lest we forget living as we do in the land of champions, both ways of doing it are incredibly hard. The total number of different teams collecting the last 36 championships is nine. For nearly every team, in nearly every year, contending for a championship is completely out of the question, despite all of their efforts in drafting, trading, and signing free agents.

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Life is a gamble. We only get a few chances.This could be our hour. We missed Duncan etc. if FUltz and Ayton isn't choice ,try Ball and Bamba. By the time these picks want max,AH,AB and It will be clear.

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
So does this mean it is PG13 or draft?

Because while Demarcus is much more of a hothead/knucklehead/rabble-rouser/whatever you want to characterize him as, he is also much, much more talented than Butler.

Butler isn't without his warts either. He took basically one of the first opportunities to throw his teammates under the bus instead of acting like a leader.

Don't pay more for a worse player Danny. Don't do it.
#JKJB

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I voted "small addition(s)"

Tucker, T. Jones, KOQ, Okafor...2 of those 4 would be nice right now. Nothing too costly.

Many of us look at this as a hugely missed opportunity with Cousins. I get that.

The worse thing to do now is to react because of it and make a "big" move giving up a bunch of assets to satisfy that empty feeling that perceived missed opportunity brings. A lot of bad decisions in life are made that way.

Stay the course, BPA in this loaded draft  and either Hayward (#1) or Milsap(#2) in FA for free and still have all those assets to either roll with, trade or some combination theeof.

What's the point of accruing assets if you're gonna do nothing with them.  Half our assets are either overseas or on the bench. Either freakin use them or get rid of them.  So sick of watching deadline after deadline pass and we get nothing.  Horford was the best we got! Aging Horford!  Either build now to win and use those assets to get cousins, which he ****ed up or take those assets and start developing them in the NBA.  The team assembled is a second round exit.  Why not bring those assets overand see what they can do. Move Mickey young and rozier and bring in Nader and zizic.  I don't care ****in do something already!  I'm still p---ed about not getting cousins.  That kid woulda been loved in Boston and this might have been the place to change him...no we get to look at olynyk sorry ass again.  I'll be the first to sign a petition that ainge and Brad go if they **** up this draft, the summer, and this tradeline another year!

Not doing anything with them yet =/= Never doing anything with them

Learn some patience.

So learn patience until....another group of assets come along then another then another ?  Um no, ainges job is to build a team not assets.  Every player on our team is tradeable. That means we've not upgraded to solidify a unit capable of staying together and competing for years. We've had 3 years of moveable parts which danny didn't move and that's all we're gonna have for years to come at this rate.  You wanna sit back and enjoy that?  Have fun.  I'd like to see another title

No? When did I suggest that? I may not have to eat lunch at this rate, with all the words people have been putting in my mouth today.

Ainge's job is to build a team capable of winning championships, not to make every move that becomes available in an attempt to placate impatient fans.  The 2017 Nets pick, currently the best asset we have and the most valuable draft pick in the NBA, was nearly worthless 3 years ago.  Was Danny stupid to sit on that asset instead of using it in a deal to build around Rondo?  Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, and sometimes you just have to wait and see.  The worst case scenario is not Danny holding onto assets and trying to build through the draft, like Philly - it's trading them away for a player that turns out not to be worth it, like the Nets.

We could use all of our assets to build a team that can contend for a finals appearance and never win a championship, as some people have been clamoring for. Or we can wait and see what Danny's gonna do over the next year and a half before he needs to make a decision regarding Thomas.  I'll gladly sit back and enjoy where we are rather than getting an ulcer every February and June just because Danny didn't make a trade or pick I wanted (speaking of which, how does everyone that was complaining about Danny taking Brown over Dunn and calling for him to be fired over it feel about that now?)

For the record I wanted Dunn as bait for butler.  I'm warming to brown.  As far as the rest.  If your suggesting Danny has some sort of clairvoyance with these moves your wrong.  Two years ago he ate a handful of picks trying to position himself to get Winslow. All those picks have moved us closer how?  The accruing picks isn't so much the problem it's that ainge doesn't seem to have a clue what to do with them when he gets them.  It's like he plays this chess game in his mind and quite frankly, gm's are wise to his tactics and are probably just as happy to watch ainge do his balancing act then to help him out.  With his stubbornness, can't blame them.

This whole Patience thing is like when you find a nice house and it's adorable and you realize it's all you've ever  wanted them you say, eh I'm gonna wait to get something better...****

Of course I'm not saying that Ainge is clairvoyant.  But neither are any of us.  I'll put my trust in the guy that has built a contender and has made a ton of good moves since then over anyone here, including myself.  Danny and Brad saw something they didn't like in Boogie, and I can respect that.  I would have made the deal, but I don't the whole story.  And we can sit here and complain every time that Danny doesn't make a deal, but I'd rather sit on the team and assets we have now than be the next 2012/13 Lakers or 2010/11 Knicks.

It's more like finding a pretty nice house, but it's not really quite enough (only 2 bedrooms when you need 3 to win a championship), and it's in a rough neighborhood (one that picks up technicals and clashes with coaches way too often).  Just because you decide not to buy that house doesn't mean that you'll never buy one or that you are waiting for the perfect house.  It just means that you didn't buy that house. Sometimes you just have to wait for more houses to come on the market, or the prices to come down on some you like, or just build from scratch.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

-Sign Hayward.

IT/Nets 2017 (Fultz)
Hayward/Smart
Crowder/Brown
Horford/Yab/Giles
Turner/Zizic

Love the move for Giles, that if healthy possess the most upside of any prospect at a position of need. This is a very deep draft and a few first rounders wouldn't hurt.

You lost me with the AB and KO for Turner, who isn't the type of athletic big we need. I'd rather give up AB straight up (or maybe throw in a Mickey) for someone like a Cauley-Stein that can play above the rim, rebound and switch 1-5.

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So does this mean it is PG13 or draft?

Because while Demarcus is much more of a hothead/knucklehead/rabble-rouser/whatever you want to characterize him as, he is also much, much more talented than Butler.

Butler isn't without his warts either. He took basically one of the first opportunities to throw his teammates under the bus instead of acting like a leader.

Don't pay more for a worse player Danny. Don't do it.

Ultimately it means try in the summer.

Doubt Bird puts PG13 on the market at least this week.

But if the Pacers frustrate, then maybe this summer he gets shopped?

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
"Most of us?"  Are you delusional?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I mean the poll is pretty much tied so it's not that far fetched of a belief.

Also in the article about "should c's trade 2017 BKN Pick for Butler", more people voted "No".

Then how are you getting Jimmy? People think they should try again in the summer rather than overpaying for him now (which is likely the case).

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Also in the article about "should c's trade 2017 BKN Pick for Butler", more people voted "No".

Then how are you getting Jimmy? People think they should try again in the summer rather than overpaying for him now (which is likely the case).

You are NOT delusional, because you are absolutely right. If you look at your poll results , 18 want a big trade now and 25 don't. Sounds like "most of us" to me.

TP.

EDIT: Now 27-18
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:39:47 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

You are NOT delusional, because you are absolutely right. If you look at your poll results , 18 want a big trade now and 25 don't. Sounds like "most of us" to me.

TP.

EDIT: Now 27-18

Like I wouldn't mind a PG13 or Butler trade at all, but I wouldn't overpay dearly for either right now.. but the "win now" squad would which is kind of scary unless you are fine with 2-3 years of "contention with zero titles" and then another "perpetual rebuild" starting 3 years later...