Poll

What Do You Want Ainge To Do By February 23?

Nothing At All. Keep Rolling!
17 (21%)
Small Addition. Like Tucker, O'Quinn Or Someone Similar.
37 (45.7%)
BIG TRADE. Butler Or George! (1 BKN Pick + Players/Assets Is Fine!)
27 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...  (Read 15125 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not basing this primarily off the Cousins saga yesterday, but it certainly plays a small part.

Frankly, on paper Cousins' talent fills almost EVERY need for us (3 point shooting, rebounding, interior presence, #2 scoring option, etc.).

But of course Ainge did not want to risk giving up a ton to potentially see Cousins leave in FA after NEXT season, and he thought Cousins was too explosive for his liking (also a "walking suspension" per technical he received - not ideal).

But Jimmy Butler is no saint either. He's certainly not as explosive and hot headed as Cousins, but this is the same guy who called out his entire team (besides Wade) after a few losses (real great locker room guy).

And I doubt Chicago's FO is as stupid as the Kings to let Butler go for less and I'm sure now they have second thoughts dealing him if that's the "market" for stars now.

And I LOVE Paul George but despite the hints that he wants to leave and everything, there still seems to be no traction on him being on the trade block being shopped at least.

So basically, as we hoped, Ainge will "STAY PATIENT". I would welcome a smaller addition like Tucker, O'Quinn or even Bogut (IF healthy and cheap), but I wouldn't overpay a ton to acquire Butler or George who still without a complementary move DON'T put us past Golden State or even Cleveland.

The Goal? : And so Ainge will try again in the summer on a big trade, OR play it patiently, like signing a FA this summer (Millsap, or Hayward/Griffin the dream), drafting Fultz/Ball/Jackson, extending IT+Smart, and continuing to develop the young core (Smart, Zizic, Brown, etc.) and hopefully become legit contenders 2-3 years from now as Lebron also gets older.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: As Most Of Us Believed/Hoped, Ainge Is Staying The Patient Course...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Ainge has gotta make a move sooner or later though. Or else all this flexibility goes kaput once rookie contracts start expiring and our promising young guys and IT need a new contract.
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What percentage of teams that build patiently with draft picks win titles?

What are the chances that any of our picks become all-stars, let alone HOF superstars (the type of draft picks that lift teams to titles).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Looks like Most of us, isn't the most of us thus far.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge has gotta make a move sooner or later though. Or else all this flexibility goes kaput once rookie contracts start expiring and our promising young guys and IT need a new contract.

I imagine Smart and IT get extended while Bradley is traded for value and other needs.

Wyc appeared on Felger and Mazz show and said there's "no upcoming issue with IT's contract".

Meanwhile if we become contenders in 2 years Horford is still with us on the back end of his contract. I still think he could be a 15/7 or 14/6 guy by then (and efficient).

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Looks like Most of us, isn't the most of us thus far.

Once they see the absurd asking prices for Butler, they will change tunes.

Like if the price is fair then yes I'll make the deal.

But Both BKN Picks + Brown + extra for Butler? No thanks.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

What are the chances that any of our picks become all-stars, let alone HOF superstars (the type of draft picks that lift teams to titles).

I wanted Cousins lol but it's difficult now.

He literally would have filled most of our remaining needs alone.

Oh well..

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge made no trade deadline moves last year. He did sign a major FA over the summer, and drafted Brown. Through this, he has ignored their need for a rebounder. Horford is not a rebounder. Never has been. Just a very good all around big.  They still need a rebounder.

He had a huge opportunity with Cousins, who apparently could have been had, with some effort, for peanuts--no nets picks. He is a gamble, sure. But a hell of a gamble.

The bigger gamble is Butler. It will cost him much more, and it's 50/50 he strikes out.

And he still doesn't have a rebounder. Get off your assets, Danny.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ainge can be patient for now, but his time is running out.  Thomas is due a big raise soon.

Ainge needs to make a choice on what course he takes this summer.  I would have preferred Boston was the team that traded for Cosuins, but Ainge has earned a pass, so I'll wait to see what he does between now and this summer.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Nobody actually thought players would be available dude. That's why we thought ainge would be patient. Let's see what this leads to, but I'm on board with seriously putting pressure on the celtics because they are clearly getting full of themselves.I was listening to grousbeck and he thinks they could win a ring without a superstar. I'm hoping he's just saying that....

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

None and slim
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can see the wisdom in staying patient given that even with Cousins, the Celts probably aren't challenging Cleveland or Golden State in the next few years.

Still, I'm not so sure that a better opportunity to use those assets to get a superstar comes along between now and when the Celts' assets have all turned into known quantities and the current core guys are past their prime.

After all, better to be very good and maybe not as good as the best teams than to be pretty good and a very significant step below those teams, as the Celts are now. We have reason to believe they will get better just by drafting and developing. But we don't know for sure that they will.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I imagine Smart and IT get extended while Bradley is traded for value and other needs.

Wyc appeared on Felger and Mazz show and said there's "no upcoming issue with IT's contract".

Meanwhile if we become contenders in 2 years Horford is still with us on the back end of his contract. I still think he could be a 15/7 or 14/6 guy by then (and efficient).

I'm convinced we'll retain IT. But it's a question of how much. I highly doubt IT will accept a contract similar to his current which is about 7m/yr. I'd say 20m/yr is a minimum for IT.

Honestly, we have so many bargain contracts, it's outstanding. IT, Bradley, Jae, Smart, KO are all playing on levels way above their contract.

- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I voted "small addition(s)"

Tucker, T. Jones, KOQ, Okafor...2 of those 4 would be nice right now. Nothing too costly.

Many of us look at this as a hugely missed opportunity with Cousins. I get that.

The worse thing to do now is to react because of it and make a "big" move giving up a bunch of assets to satisfy that empty feeling that perceived missed opportunity brings. A lot of bad decisions in life are made that way.

Stay the course, BPA in this loaded draft  and either Hayward (#1) or Milsap(#2) in FA for free and still have all those assets to either roll with, trade or some combination theeof.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

None and slim

Golden State.