Author Topic: May Zizic be the answer to our questions?  (Read 4791 times)

Re: May Zizic be the answer to our questions?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I have a hard time imagining him being the "answer" to anything just yet. Granted he might be a nice piece but I don't think he's on the level of Embiid.

I don't know if "answer" is the best way to say it, only that Zizic may be ahead in his development than thought and it has helped not to trade for Cousins. Obviously, his attitude and other factors are present, as more than 20 GMs could have outbid the Pelicans.

I also know that this numbers aren't impressive, Celtics4ever. But he doesn't need to score 25 points to change the games. His team doesn't have many offensive plays for him, as he's just arrived in winter so most of his production comes from putbacks and follow-up dunks. Also, in Europe a usual score is 75-70, not 105-100 as in the NBA. It's unfair to look just at numbers.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
If the question is who will be a good backup center then he is the answer.  But right now he's not a good starting caliber center in the NBA.  A good team can't depend on him to be that. 

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yep, I agree with BitterJim. Zizic has nothing to do with the C's not trading for DMC.

While true he is not same type or caliber of player, they play same position. Do knowing we have a promising young talent joining team next season certainly may have factored into Danny's decision not to pursue.

Seems Danny is trying to build a team that peaks over the next several years, not this year and next with the GSW situation.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This is my first thread opened here. Mods, feel free to merge it with another one if you think it is repetitive.

Today, all are questions. We know that the Celtics need an interior presence to contend, and I think most of you will agree on this. Butler, George, Hayward, Fultz, Ball...they are the most talked about Celtics-to-be, and I am not sure either one puts us in a position to defeat the Cavs and Warrior. So we have to get something else in the middle.

Cousins was a dream for many posters, more or less including me. It was the presumable best available big man to be taken from his team, as Anthony Davis or Towns seem untradeable for some years to come. Now, there comes the news. Cousins has been traded for much less than we had imagined. Maybe with Jaylen, this year Minny's second and two future firsts (even non-Nets) would have been possible, so there must be something we don't know.

On the Cousin's trade thread (sounds funny) some of us have proposed some "theories" about attitudinal rejection, not fitting Brad's system, or even my crazy ones about the Pelicans ruining the Warriors in the first round to get an unhappy Durant or a pre-agreement/tampering with Hayward making us unable to add salary beyond this summer.

However, what if our management watch Zizic as an instant starter and good contributor? What if he is the reason we don't want another big man? He has progressed a lot this season from playing in his native country into being arguably the best player in a Euroleague good team, Darussafaka. Anyone can feel this makes sense? Honestly, I've been all the morning at work thinking about this missing oportunity, and I need some firm reason to believe Danny has done the right thing.

Thanks in advance for those answering.

Agree. TP.

Now watch Ainge include Zizic in trade for Butler and make us both look dumb!!

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
This is my first thread opened here. Mods, feel free to merge it with another one if you think it is repetitive.

Today, all are questions. We know that the Celtics need an interior presence to contend, and I think most of you will agree on this. Butler, George, Hayward, Fultz, Ball...they are the most talked about Celtics-to-be, and I am not sure either one puts us in a position to defeat the Cavs and Warrior. So we have to get something else in the middle.

Cousins was a dream for many posters, more or less including me. It was the presumable best available big man to be taken from his team, as Anthony Davis or Towns seem untradeable for some years to come. Now, there comes the news. Cousins has been traded for much less than we had imagined. Maybe with Jaylen, this year Minny's second and two future firsts (even non-Nets) would have been possible, so there must be something we don't know.

On the Cousin's trade thread (sounds funny) some of us have proposed some "theories" about attitudinal rejection, not fitting Brad's system, or even my crazy ones about the Pelicans ruining the Warriors in the first round to get an unhappy Durant or a pre-agreement/tampering with Hayward making us unable to add salary beyond this summer.

However, what if our management watch Zizic as an instant starter and good contributor? What if he is the reason we don't want another big man? He has progressed a lot this season from playing in his native country into being arguably the best player in a Euroleague good team, Darussafaka. Anyone can feel this makes sense? Honestly, I've been all the morning at work thinking about this missing oportunity, and I need some firm reason to believe Danny has done the right thing.

Thanks in advance for those answering.

Agree. TP.

Now watch Ainge include Zizic in trade for Butler and make us both look dumb!!

Well, that's the story of my life many times. Count on that possibility. Also, TP back as you made me laugh  ;D

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 01:54:15 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
Steve Bulpett tweets today:

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/834208625954525184

And in his article, he writes:

In other words, does it make sense to spend a lot now and tie up cap space for the future on an inside player when he might have such a big waiting in the wings?

There is every expectation that Ante Zizic, the No. 23 overall pick last June, will be a part of next season’s Celts. That he’ll be on a rookie contract is a bonus. There were questions whether the 6-foot-11 20-year-old could handle the move from Croatia to tougher competition in Turkey, but reports are more than encouraging.

We checked in with former Celtics player Gigi Datome, who is playing for another Turkish club, and, while there obviously is work still to be done, he believes Zizic will be ready to contribute in the NBA.

“He is a big body who moves well for his size,” Gigi said. “Not very quick lateral movements, but he runs the floor well, and he’s pretty quick on post moves. He has feeling for the game.”

Datome noted that Zizic’s new club, Darussafaka, is a solid Euroleague club coached by former Cavaliers leader David Blatt, and that Zizic “didn’t take too long to impact the team and to get into a new system. He plays hard and shows desire to compete. He has good feeling and position for offensive rebounds.

“I like him,” Gigi added. “He is very young, and usually big men develop later. He plays like an experienced player despite his young age. He is also reliable on the free throw line.”

Here you have the link:
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/bulpett_celtics_plan_to_go_big_or_sit_tight_at_nba_trade_deadline

Maybe I wasn't so mistaken  ;)

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:02 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Zizic looks like he will be a good, starting-caliber player, but he is not, and (I feel pretty confident saying) will not ever be on the level of Cousins.  Danny clearly had his reasons for not going after Cousins, but Zizic is not one of them

Definitely won't be on Cousins level. Zizic actually has a heart, hustles, and works his bottom off for his teammates. He'll be far different from Boogie.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 05:16:01 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Reminds me of a new school gortat.

If he ends up being that style of player for us he could be very useful.

I don't think thats a reach.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 05:22:59 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
He looks like a Robin Lopez - Gortat type.
He could be someone special if he can learn how to shoot the 3s.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 06:02:20 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I agree that Zizic will likely have some role on this team next year that is greater than roster filler/emergency backup. Whether that will be as a starter or a rotation guy, who knows? The video that I've seen is encouraging.

The lack of interest in Cousins is independent from Zizic. If Cousins were a good citizen, the Celtics would have been all-in. Of course, a well behaved Cousins would likely not have been on the market.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Reminds me of a new school gortat.

If he ends up being that style of player for us he could be very useful.

I don't think thats a reach.

I don't think he is as mobile as gortat unfortunately
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If the question is who will be a good backup center then he is the answer.  But right now he's not a good starting caliber center in the NBA.  A good team can't depend on him to be that.

I agree with this, precisely.

He may well translate better then I expect, but he's a 19 year old kid who hasn't played a minute of NBA basketball. 

No matter how well a guy plays overseas, you really don't know what you can expect of them once they get over here.   We just won't know until he is here, playing against NBA competition.  The guys in Europe are skilled, but they don't have that combination of size/strength/athleticism that NBA players possess. 

There are a lot of bigs in the NBA who are upwards of 6'9" and 240lbs who probably move as well as a typical 6'7" 225lbs euro SF.  Not all players adjust easily to that.  Hopefully Zizic will. 

Again though, he's only 19 years old - so if he can contribute even 12-15 minutes of impact basketball next season, then he's doing very well.  I would give him until the age of 22 (at least) to develop before we really have an idea of what he'll bring in the long term.  Anything he contributes prior to that is just gravy, in my eyes.

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
He's coming to the NBA in his age-21 season.  Even Rudy Gobert didn't have much of an impact at that point. 

He has the upside of being a very good starter (doubt he has star potential given the lack of athleticism or an outlier skill like Jokic's passing), and a very high floor, but he's obviously not going to be the answer next year.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
It will be nice to bring KG to work with Zizic next year.

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am optimistic he will have a good impact for us next year.
See below on what a few people think of Zizic. One says he would be the 9th best prospect in this years draft class.

"Kevin O'ConnorVerified account‏@KevinOConnorNBA  11h11 hours ago

Kevin O'Connor Retweeted Andrew Johnson
That's on point for Ante Zizic. His strengths have improved and his jumper is falling this year on a small sample. No doubt a lotto talent.Kevin O'Connor added,
Andrew Johnson@CountingBaskets
Ran Ante Zizic's Eurostash numbers against this year's class, my base model would rate him as the 9th best prospect in the 2017 draft
19 replies 66 retweets 180 likes"

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA