Author Topic: I feel bad for Cousins...  (Read 1677 times)

I feel bad for Cousins...
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Yes I know, another Cousins thread, but hear me out.

Cousins is obviously a knucklehead that needs a strong locker room to keep him in line. I was definitely in the camp that wanted to get him, especially for the price, but that is neither here nor there.

What really bugs me is that this trade doesn't really give Cousins a chance. So he was on the worst run team of the last 15 or so years, yet he acted inappropriately. However, it doesn't help that the franchise has tried to surround him with other big men for the last couple of drafts.

So what happens when he gets traded? He gets traded to another top 5 dysfunctional franchise, that also has a franchise big man. Granted this could have been a phenomenal idea maybe 30 years ago, but in todays day in age you want spacing and shooting. Both of them can space the floor, but this truly will be an experiment.

I could see this whole thing blow up, and Boogie walks in 1.5 years.

Does anyone else feel a little pity for the continued situations the guy is put in? Obviously he isn't blameless here, but it still looks like we wont get to see what he looks like in a decent environment run by a quality organization.

#JKJB

Re: I feel bad for Cousins...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
DMC and Ad are like the antithesis to the gsw. Add some decent 3andD guys around them, and they have a contending team taylored perfectly to Gsw's weaknesses.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel bad that he's going to another poorly run / coached franchise.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
DMC and Ad are like the antithesis to the gsw. Add some decent 3andD guys around them, and they have a contending team taylored perfectly to Gsw's weaknesses.

If they succeed they could possibly end this obsession with small ball.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It is just nonsense, there is only one team in the league that plays small ball consistently well and effectively and they can do it because they have some of the greatest shooters in league history at multiple positions.  All of the other top tier teams (outside of Boston) all have legit size with at least one more traditional big man.  I mean San An has Gasol, Cleveland has Thompson, Toronto has Jonas, LAC has Jordan (and Griffin isn't exactly a perimeter player either), Washington has Gortat, Atlanta has Howard, Utah has Gobert and Favors, Memphis has Gasol, OKC has Adams.

Small ball is a myth.  The vast majority of teams, even the top teams, all have a traditional big man that isn't outside bombing three pointers.  Golden State is the exception not the rule.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

It is just nonsense, there is only one team in the league that plays small ball consistently well and effectively and they can do it because they have some of the greatest shooters in league history at multiple positions.  All of the other top tier teams (outside of Boston) all have legit size with at least one more traditional big man.  I mean San An has Gasol, Cleveland has Thompson, Toronto has Jonas, LAC has Jordan (and Griffin isn't exactly a perimeter player either), Washington has Gortat, Atlanta has Howard, Utah has Gobert and Favors, Memphis has Gasol, OKC has Adams.

Small ball is a myth.  The vast majority of teams, even the top teams, all have a traditional big man that isn't outside bombing three pointers.  Golden State is the exception not the rule.

Untrue.   GS, Houston and our Boston Celtics play this way predominantly to great effect.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Untrue.   GS, Houston and our Boston Celtics play this way predominantly to great effect.
Houston's starting center is Clint Capela.  Capela has shot 0 three pointers this year.  Harrell generally filled in for him when injured, Harrell has shot 3 three pointers this year.  Hilario also logging consistent minutes (with 6 starts), has 7 three pointers this year.  Combining all their mpg, they are well over 55 mpg collectively (so basically those are all of the center minutes on the team). 

The Celtics have won 2 playoff games in the past two seasons losing 8.  I'm not sure they are a team you should be putting out there as a mecca of small ball success.  Now sure, thus far this year, they are playing well, but the regular season and post season are two vastly different things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Who lasts longer in NO, Boogie or Gentry?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

This is what I was trying to get across. I just want to see if the guy can act like a human and be a force if he played for a well run team. Like sure he has been a head case, but the organization has been arguably more of a headcase for his tenure there.
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

This is what I was trying to get across. I just want to see if the guy can act like a human and be a force if he played for a well run team. Like sure he has been a head case, but the organization has been arguably more of a headcase for his tenure there.

He made his bed, I'm quite sure the Kings didn't say, "lets take the least we can get for Demarcus"
They got the most they could have gotten, I'm sure. That means things around Cousins was worse than advertised.