Author Topic: The Ainge and Divac trade discussion about Boogie  (Read 2446 times)

The Ainge and Divac trade discussion about Boogie
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
This is how I imagine the trade talks going this evening

Phone rings at Celtics HQ

Mike Zarren: Hey Danny I got Divac on the line, he says he gonna trade Cousins for Buddy Hield, A 2017 1st and a 2017 second rounder

Ainge: Mike, i'm busy man April fools is over a month away, he was quoted as saying that Cousins isn't getting traded today, why is he messing?

Mike: He says he's serious, will you just speak to him

Ainge: Are you sure he's not putting something extra in those cigarettes? Alright give me the [dang] phone

Divac: I'm gonna trade booo...

Ainge (interrupting): Vlade let me stop you there, you just came out to the media today saying he's going nowhere, you're not going to lose your credibility and trade him in the same day.

As I said on a radio show last week that teams won't reveal their best offers at the deadline until noon on Thursday, that's the way its always been and that's the way its going to stay. Why wouldn't you shop around and get the best possible deal? The deadline is four days away. Let's pick this up on Thursday and let's be serious then (hangs up)

2 minutes later Ainge refreshes twitter

Ainge: NOooooooooooooooooooooo! Son of a ..........
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:32:10 AM by Rida »

Re: The Ainge and Divac trade discussion about Boogie
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:30 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

Mike Zarren: Hey Danny I got Divac on the line, he says he gonna trade Cousins for Buddy Hield, A 2017 1st and a 2017 second rounder

Ainge: Mike, i'm busy man April fools is over a month away, he was quoted as saying that Cousins isn't getting traded today why is he messing?

Mike: He says he's serious, will you just speak to him

Ainge: Are you sure he's not putting something extra in those cigarettes? Alright give me the [dang] phone

Divac: I'm gonna trade booo...

Ainge (interrupting): Vlade let me stop you there, you just came out to the media today saying he's going nowhere, you're not going to lose your credibility and trade him in the same day.

As I said on a radio show last week that teams won't reveal their best offers at the deadline until noon on Thursday, that's the way its always been and that's the way its going to stay. Why wouldn't you shop around and get the best possible deal, the deadline is four days away. Let's pick this up on Thursday and let's be serious (hangs up)

2 minutes later Ainge refreshes twitter

Ainge: NOooooooooooooooooooooo! Son of a ..........

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:35:51 AM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
divac would never help the celtics anyway....

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:50:28 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
could be the worst trade in nba history

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:34 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Ainge: (diplomatic answer) Send him my regards, it's a very good value for Sacramento. Wish them the best. (what is in Danny's mind) "hahaha, I can't believe this, I don't know anymore who is the most incompetent between NO and SAC front office!"

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 05:08:16 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Bulpett and Kyler have both said that Cs had no interest in Cousins. Few teams did or the price would have been higher.

Two teams that did have interest have huge problems of their own (LAL and NOP) and needed to do something drastic.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:16:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think this trade is as definitive of an indication as we'll ever get that the Celtics just weren't interested in bringing Cousins in. I can't say I disagree with the decision.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:59:29 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Nets fans would disagree B-)
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I imagine the conversation went more like this:

Ainge: So Cousins is a multi time All-Star, is young, is on a bargain contract, and is the best center in the NBA?  Hmm.  I'll offer you James Young and a second rounder.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

IMHO this trade is significantly more lopsided then the Nets trade.

I would trade Jaylen Brown and both Nets picks in a heartbeat if it got me Cousins.  The guy is the best centre in the NBA one one of the best big men of the past 10 years.  I would honestly be extremely surprised if any of our Nets picks translate into a player as good as Cousins. 

But then Ainge is all up for paying darn near $30M a year for a rusted old Al Horford who is playing like a 6th man.  I just don't get the guy.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

IMHO this trade is significantly more lopsided then the Nets trade.

I would trade Jaylen Brown and both Nets picks in a heartbeat if it got me Cousins.  The guy is the best centre in the NBA one one of the best big men of the past 10 years.  I would honestly be extremely surprised if any of our Nets picks translate into a player as good as Cousins. 

But then Ainge is all up for paying darn near $30M a year for a rusted old Al Horford who is playing like a 6th man.  I just don't get the guy.

Yet the guy keeps building a team that wins more every year and still has all of the arrows in the quiver (in terms of draft choices).

My advice is to realize that there's obviously a good reason why Danny (and almost certainly Brad) didn't want Cousins that you're not privy to and accept that they know things that you do not.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.