Author Topic: That's all it needed to get Cousins  (Read 9517 times)

Re: That's all it needed to get Cousins
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I am not so sure that Kings' return was as insignificant as people are making it out to be. They got a player (Buddy Hield) who was a lottery pick (just to be clear, I held a very low opinion of Hield before the draft and even lower now), a decent pick in a good draft, a second round pick in low 30s, most likely guaranteed that their pick is not going to Chicago, and fixed potential culture issues. Also, no longer there is a 200M question that would have obliterated cap space for the future. 2 picks are a big deal - combined they represent 8 player-years of rookie scale salaries and 16 of team control.
Also, Sacramento has WCS and Scal waiting for their minutes.
I do not know if they could have gotten a better deal, but this one does not look that horrible to me.
Quick reminder - almost every single person on this forum felt Rondo deal was really bad for us. Think about it again...

I thought the Rondo deal was great, and I think this deal is great.
Rondo was done, and Cousins is a loser.

So did I. But A LOT of people hated it.
Cousins is too toxic, and fit with NO is not at all clear - both of them need space and need to be surrounded with shooters.
In my book the deal was about fair.

I don't get this from NO's perspective at all.  Two all NBA bigs and nothing else, with no assets to improve the team.  Look for this to be a colossal flop.

Actually they still have their future firsts and their PGs are pretty ok (top 15 pg in Jrue Holiday and nice backup with potential in Tim Frazier). They also have a pretty good backup big in Terrence Jones who could really get hot once in a while. Their wings are weak because of trading 3 key guys there but they still have E'twaun Moore and Solomon Hill who are average wings. If they really need wings they can pick some up from waivers or via trade because 3 and D wings that can clog up 15 minutes a game without being a liability are pretty common in the nba nowadays. They are not that bad as other guys are making them out to be and I think cousins would really open up things for this team as two great inside presences would let their wings just care about defense and hitting open jumpshots.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 05:04:01 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Both Davis and Cousins can hit the 3 consistently & AD can defend 1-5, they can easily coexist as a dominate front court.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:43 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I'm so p---ed right now.
One of the best bigs is available for basically nothing, but we rather hang on to our 100 picks and 200 guards...

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Rookie guard Buddy Hield , guard Tyreke Evans, a  protected 2017 first-round pick and Philadelphia’s 2017 second-round pick to Sacramento in the deal?

Pelicans are only going to get better thus making the 1st rounder a low pick.

Wait, the pick is protected!? What the frack, SacTo???

This. It must have been hard to keep a straight face while requesting that the 1st rounder be protected. At this point, I'm kind of shocked that the 2nd rounder wasn't protected too.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 06:42:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's an embarrassment. 

I'm so fed up with Danny Ainge that I can't even fully express it.  Cousins is the best center in the NBA by far - it's not even remotely close. 

Boston could have almost certainly had him for the cost of a 2018 Brooklyn Pick, Jaylen Brown a second rounder, and filler.

We could have added the best center in the game without breaking up our core, and without even giving up the 2017 Brooklyn pick.

This is disgraceful.  I've defended Ainge's moves constantly over this entire rebuild phase, but he has lost all credibility and all of my faith right now.

He had better pull off a trade for either Jimmy Butler or Paul George as an absolute minimum after this, because if he turned down a chance at Cousins for anything less then that he should be fired on the spot.

I am absoltely dumbfounded right now.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 06:54:34 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
It's an embarrassment. 

I'm so fed up with Danny Ainge that I can't even fully express it.  Cousins is the best center in the NBA by far - it's not even remotely close. 

Boston could have almost certainly had him for the cost of a 2018 Brooklyn Pick, Jaylen Brown a second rounder, and filler.

We could have added the best center in the game without breaking up our core, and without even giving up the 2017 Brooklyn pick.

This is disgraceful.  I've defended Ainge's moves constantly over this entire rebuild phase, but he has lost all credibility and all of my faith right now.

He had better pull off a trade for either Jimmy Butler or Paul George as an absolute minimum after this, because if he turned down a chance at Cousins for anything less then that he should be fired on the spot.

Tp!

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's an embarrassment. 

For DA to not be involved (as per reports), it goes to show you he had zero interest in Cousins and his loser attitude. It's really telling that was the best deal SAC could her for him. They just wanted to get rid of him at any cost.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
It's an embarrassment. 

This trade will be a blessing for the Celtics. Boogie now will shop the best place for Boogie and do you really think NO is that place?
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Honestly I wanted Boogie here, but if DA and CBS don't want him they've done enough to earn my confidence.

With so many young players on our team his personality off court and his taking plays off on defense is totally against the culture we're trying to create.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's embarrassing how many CBers are teeth gnashing and wailing this morning. I also wanted Cousins. I've been consistent on this board about wanting to acquire him.

Danny and Brad obviously elected not to pursue him.

Might they know something that we do not? That's 100% certain to be true.

Maybe they have an inkling that Cousins wouldn't resign here. Maybe they knew that he couldn't be happy in Boston. Maybe they knew the Boston media would drive him nuts. Maybe they believe that his style of play would harm the rest of the team. Maybe they knew he is truly a locker room cancer. Maybe they have other targets that better fit the team's style of play and chemistry.

I don't know which one it is. Yes, we could have easily beaten the deal from the Pels to get Cousins. But it's often said that sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. In this case, Danny and Brad decided that was the best course of action.

So this trade elicits a shrug from me. Not because I don't think Danny/Brad can do no wrong but because they obviously had strong reasons - even if they're unbeknownst to us - to not make this deal. Perhaps when they realize this some of the more emotional contributors to CB will calm down.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:43:42 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
It's an embarrassment. 

For DA to not be involved (as per reports), it goes to show you he had zero interest in Cousins and his loser attitude. It's really telling that was the best deal SAC could her for him. They just wanted to get rid of him at any cost.

That's not accurate. 

The more accurate statement would be to say that for DA not to be involved shows that he's a complete moron. 

He could have gotten Serge Ibaka for darn near nothing, but he wasn't interested.
He could have acquired Carmelo Anthony for (it seems) scraps, but he isn't interested.
He could have gotten Demarcus Cousins for a bit more then scraps, but he isn't interested.

How many bargain deals for quality players have to slip by before Ainge realises that the Nets deal, Crowder deal and Thomas deals were just lucky...and that you can't go on only making deals that are completely one sided.

He refuses to make ANY deal for extablished talent if it means giving up any assets of even remote value.  It's rediculous. 

Ibaka?  No, he's contract is expiring.
Melo?  No, he's too old.
Cousins?  No, his personality is too difficult.
Greg Monroe?  No, not interested in bigs who dont shoot threes.

I'm sure he's sitting there right now trying to think of excuses to let a Jimmy Butler deal float on by.  What - he's not a good enough three point shooter?

This is an embarrassment.  Ainge traded away legends (Pierce and KG) and basically sold his soul so that he could avoid a long and painful rebuild.  He spent the last 3 or 4 years building up a sea of assets so that when that big deal for a star comes along, he's in a position to make it happen.

Now he has all of the assets in the world, he's got trades for star and fringe-star players going left, right and center, and all he wants to do is sit on his assets.

Why?  So he can keep "cap flexibility"?  What like last year, when he throw $28M a year over the next four years for a declining fringe-star who's playing like a 6th man - while the big star went on to sign with Golden State?

So he can keep all these draft picks, none of whom have proven to even be starting caliber players so far?

How many free agencies and drafts is Danny going to have to go through to get it in to his thick skull that the free agent market and the NBA draft are massive gambles.  How many times is he going to have to watch while guys taken late in the draft outperform his lottery picks, or while all the top free agents decided to sign with other teams?

How long is it going to take him to realise that the only way to GUARANTEE you will land a star is by trading for one?

How long is it going to take him to realise that trading for one is going to mean giving something up in return?

Ainge keeps talking the talk - he keeps saying he wants to pull a big time trade, not waste time with small trades that don't move the needle.  Yet he allows trades like Demarcus Cousins to float by him, while he apparently focusses on guys like PJ freaking Tucker.

This team is in desperate need for inside scoring, for rebounding, and for another go-to scorer who can help carry the offensive load and give IT a break.  Demarcus Cousins would have solved every single problem we have.  Picking him up right now (when Love is hurt) would have made Boston the favourites in the East, above even Cleveland.

So maybe he has attitude issues.  Maybe he comes in and kills chemistry.  Maybe he just doesn't get along with guys.  If that happens, then you move him and you say "hell, we gave it a try".  When a deal like this comes along, you have to take a chance.  You can't let stuff like this slip through your hands when you've spent the past X many years telling the world you want to create fireworks.

You want fireworks?  Well Demarcus Cousins is a bloomin' cruise missile. 

As I said, right now it's Jimmy Butler, Paul George, or bust.  Neither of those two guys is as good as Cousins so it would still be a disappointment, but I could live with it based on the "personality" argument - and I can swallow that.

Anything less then that right now will be an absolute embarrassment.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
It's embarrassing how many CBers are teeth gnashing and wailing this morning. I also wanted Cousins. I've been consistent on this board about wanting to acquire him.

Danny and Brad obviously elected not to pursue him.

Might they know something that we do not? That's 100% certain to be true.

Maybe they have an inkling that Cousins wouldn't resign here. Maybe they knew that he couldn't be happy in Boston. Maybe they knew the Boston media would drive him nuts. Maybe they believe that his style of play would harm the rest of the team. Maybe they knew he is truly a locker room cancer. Maybe they have other targets that better fit the team's style of play and chemistry.

I don't know which one it is. Yes, we could have easily beaten the deal from the Pels to get Cousins. But it's often said that sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.In this case, Danny and Brad decided that was the best course of action.

So this trade elicits a shrug from me. Not because I don't think Danny/Brad can do no wrong but because they obviously had strong reasons - even if they're unbeknownst to us - to not make this deal. Perhaps when they realize this some of the more emotional contributors to CB will calm down.

You're talking about a man who shugged off a trade for Ibaka because he didn't want to give up Terry Rozier...

And a man who apparently shugged off a trade for Cousins because he wasn't interested at all..

And a man who apparently has no interest in Monroe because he doesn't shoot threes....

And a man who apparently hasn't yet made a deal for Butler because he dosn't want to include the 2017 Brooklyn first...

And a man who just committed $28M a year over the next four years to a 30 year old declining Al Hoford who, even in his prime, wasn't worth that kind of money.

And a man who likely only did that Hoford deal because he felt it gave him a better chance at getting Durant...who then spat in his face by turning and walking straight to Golden State.

Yeah...I have so much faith in this guy.

If Ainge wants to prove that he's such a great GM, and that letting these deals go were for the better, then he can find a way to get Butler or George to Boston.  Then I'll forgive him. 

If he can't do that, or somehow get somebody similarly good, then as far as i'm concerned they may as well fire him now.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Only took Rozier and future 1st for Ibaka

And Brown and 2018 1st for Cousins

And Danny didnt pull the trigger

What a horrible GM he is.... Fire him now  :police:

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's an embarrassment. 

That's not accurate. 

The more accurate statement would be to say that for DA not to be involved shows that he's a complete moron. 

He could have gotten Serge Ibaka for darn near nothing, but he wasn't interested.
He could have acquired Carmelo Anthony for (it seems) scraps, but he isn't interested.
He could have gotten Demarcus Cousins for a bit more then scraps, but he isn't interested.

How many bargain deals for quality players have to slip by before Ainge realises that the Nets deal, Crowder deal and Thomas deals were just lucky...and that you can't go on only making deals that are completely one sided.

He refuses to make ANY deal for extablished talent if it means giving up any assets of even remote value.  It's rediculous. 

Ibaka?  No, he's contract is expiring.
Melo?  No, he's too old.
Cousins?  No, his personality is too difficult.
Greg Monroe?  No, not interested in bigs who dont shoot threes.

I'm sure he's sitting there right now trying to think of excuses to let a Jimmy Butler deal float on by.  What - he's not a good enough three point shooter?

This is an embarrassment.  Ainge traded away legends (Pierce and KG) and basically sold his soul so that he could avoid a long and painful rebuild.  He spent the last 3 or 4 years building up a sea of assets so that when that big deal for a star comes along, he's in a position to make it happen.

Now he has all of the assets in the world, he's got trades for star and fringe-star players going left, right and center, and all he wants to do is sit on his assets.

Why?  So he can keep "cap flexibility"?  What like last year, when he throw $28M a year over the next four years for a declining fringe-star who's playing like a 6th man - while the big star went on to sign with Golden State?

So he can keep all these draft picks, none of whom have proven to even be starting caliber players so far?

How many free agencies and drafts is Danny going to have to go through to get it in to his thick skull that the free agent market and the NBA draft are massive gambles.  How many times is he going to have to watch while guys taken late in the draft outperform his lottery picks, or while all the top free agents decided to sign with other teams?

How long is it going to take him to realise that the only way to GUARANTEE you will land a star is by trading for one?

How long is it going to take him to realise that trading for one is going to mean giving something up in return?

Ainge keeps talking the talk - he keeps saying he wants to pull a big time trade, not waste time with small trades that don't move the needle.  Yet he allows trades like Demarcus Cousins to float by him, while he apparently focusses on guys like PJ freaking Tucker.

This team is in desperate need for inside scoring, for rebounding, and for another go-to scorer who can help carry the offensive load and give IT a break.  Demarcus Cousins would have solved every single problem we have.  Picking him up right now (when Love is hurt) would have made Boston the favourites in the East, above even Cleveland.

So maybe he has attitude issues.  Maybe he comes in and kills chemistry.  Maybe he just doesn't get along with guys.  If that happens, then you move him and you say "hell, we gave it a try".  When a deal like this comes along, you have to take a chance.  You can't let stuff like this slip through your hands when you've spent the past X many years telling the world you want to create fireworks.

You want fireworks?  Well Demarcus Cousins is a bloomin' cruise missile. 

As I said, right now it's Jimmy Butler, Paul George, or bust.  Neither of those two guys is as good as Cousins so it would still be a disappointment, but I could live with it based on the "personality" argument - and I can swallow that.

Anything less then that right now will be an absolute embarrassment.
Yep, Ainge is a moron. Just because he didn't trade for your binkie. Sounds good.

If they plan on trading good assets, they should be picky about the player they want. Maybe Steven's didn't like his attitude. Maybe Boston wasn't a city that Cousins liked and would not have re-signed here. Do you know all those details? Cause I sure as f*ck don't.

What I can tell you is Cousins is a very talented player. Cousins is also a massive headache case. The C's elected to not pursue him.

We move on. I trust Ainge a lot more than I do Celticsbloggers ( no offense everyone; you're still the best bloggers out there).

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
You're talking about a man who shugged off a trade for Ibaka because he didn't want to give up Terry Rozier...

On a two month rental

And a man who apparently shugged off a trade for Cousins because he wasn't interested at all..

Yep.

And a man who apparently has no interest in Monroe because he doesn't shoot threes....

Citation needed. And how many big men are you indistinguishably pursuing?

And a man who apparently hasn't yet made a deal for Butler because he dosn't want to include the 2017 Brooklyn first...

Citation needed.

And a man who just committed $28M a year over the next four years to a 30 year old declining Al Hoford who, even in his prime, wasn't worth that kind of money.

Arguable.

And a man who likely only did that Hoford deal because he felt it gave him a better chance at getting Durant

Citation needed

...who then spat in his face by turning and walking straight to Golden State.

Incorrect. Durant made a choice.

Yeah...I have so much faith in this guy.

Yet the team keeps getting better every year. Many rebuilds take many years or decades. The Cs had fewer than two years of being irrelevant.

If Ainge wants to prove that he's such a great GM

He already has. Traded for KG and Ray Allen. Bought Rondo for $3m. Won a title. Made it to another NBA Championship (and only didn't win because the Cs were robbed by the refs). Rebuilt a team in two years. Made one of the most lopsided trades in history with Brooklyn. Acquired IT for peanuts. Acquired Crowder in the Rondo trade. 2007 NBA Exec of the Year. The list goes on and on...

and that letting these deals go were for the better, then he can find a way to get Butler or George to Boston.  Then I'll forgive him. 

If he can't do that, or somehow get somebody similarly good, then as far as i'm concerned they may as well fire him now.

So holding on to the picks and perhaps drafting an All Star or three doesn't meet your approval?

I would say your entire post speaks more to your own desperation than any kind of plan about building a team. It seems that you're so desperate to make a move (given the large number of targets above isn't a comprehensive list of everyone you've wanted to pursue) that you really don't care what move it is. So while you may be desperate to make a move just to have said you've made one, others realize that this is folly. This is THE PROCESS and, unlike in Philly, the Celtics actually have wins to show for theirs. So as long as the Cs keep winning more games every year and keep getting better, I'll show a bit more faith in the process.

Cousins wasn't in their plans. Get over it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.