Author Topic: That's all it needed to get Cousins  (Read 9515 times)

That's all it needed to get Cousins
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:00 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Rookie guard Buddy Hield , guard Tyreke Evans, a  protected 2017 first-round pick and Philadelphia’s 2017 second-round pick to Sacramento in the deal?

Pelicans are only going to get better thus making the 1st rounder a low pick.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:29:55 AM by Chef Parish »

Re: That's all it needed to get Cousins
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:22:39 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It makes very little sense, but that organization has continuously made very little sense under Vivek.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I would go as far to say this is the most shocking trade in NBA history. Certainly has the potential to be the most lopsided in the Pelicans favor.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:45:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would go as far to say this is the most shocking trade in NBA history. Certainly has the potential to be the most lopsided in the Pelicans favor.

LOL
Cousins is a loser.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:45:55 AM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I am not so sure that Kings' return was as insignificant as people are making it out to be. They got a player (Buddy Hield) who was a lottery pick (just to be clear, I held a very low opinion of Hield before the draft and even lower now), a decent pick in a good draft, a second round pick in low 30s, most likely guaranteed that their pick is not going to Chicago, and fixed potential culture issues. Also, no longer there is a 200M question that would have obliterated cap space for the future. 2 picks are a big deal - combined they represent 8 player-years of rookie scale salaries and 16 of team control.
Also, Sacramento has WCS and Scal waiting for their minutes.
I do not know if they could have gotten a better deal, but this one does not look that horrible to me.
Quick reminder - almost every single person on this forum felt Rondo deal was really bad for us. Think about it again...

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I am not so sure that Kings' return was as insignificant as people are making it out to be. They got a player (Buddy Hield) who was a lottery pick (just to be clear, I held a very low opinion of Hield before the draft and even lower now), a decent pick in a good draft, a second round pick in low 30s, most likely guaranteed that their pick is not going to Chicago, and fixed potential culture issues. Also, no longer there is a 200M question that would have obliterated cap space for the future. 2 picks are a big deal - combined they represent 8 player-years of rookie scale salaries and 16 of team control.
I do not know if they could have gotten a better deal, but this one does not look that horrible to me.
Quick reminder - almost every single person on this forum felt Rondo deal was really bad for us. Think about it again...

I thought the Rondo deal was great, and I think this deal is great.
Rondo was done, and Cousins is a loser.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Rookie guard Buddy Hield , guard Tyreke Evans, a  protected 2017 first-round pick and Philadelphia’s 2017 second-round pick to Sacramento in the deal?

Pelicans are only going to get better thus making the 1st rounder a low pick.

Wait, the pick is protected!? What the frack, SacTo???
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:50:29 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Not sure why this is a surprise..   30 wins a year with Cousins.. A ticking time bomb..  It was time to move on..

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:33 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not sure why this is a surprise..   30 wins a year with Cousins.. A ticking time bomb..  It was time to move on..

It's not a surprise that he got moved. The surprise is when it only cost that much to get him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

So did I. But A LOT of people hated it.
Cousins is too toxic, and fit with NO is not at all clear - both of them need space and need to be surrounded with shooters.
In my book the deal was about fair.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:49 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227

LOL
Cousins is a loser.

Good input.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 01:03:25 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

So did I. But A LOT of people hated it.
Cousins is too toxic, and fit with NO is not at all clear - both of them need space and need to be surrounded with shooters.
In my book the deal was about fair.

I don't get this from NO's perspective at all.  Two all NBA bigs and nothing else, with no assets to improve the team.  Look for this to be a colossal flop.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:18:20 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Cousins finally traded!!

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/2/20/14666560/demarcus-cousins-trade-offers-kings-pelicans-celtics

I think the key reason the Celtics did not get involved - his agent said whoever gets him, he's not gonna resign with them in 2018.

Sooo they got scared off by the agent?  Giving up Jaylen Brown and the 2017 pick plus salary fillers would be okay, but only if Cousins was a long-term acquisition.  If you lose him a year later, like Andrew Bynum left the Sixers, then it would have been a horrible use of assets.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:20:57 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history regardless of Cousins being a head case or not. Smh

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 04:26:43 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history regardless of Cousins being a head case or not. Smh
I think that was Vlade's objective.  He was tired of being known as the guy involved in the worst trade in NBA history (Vlade for Kobe) and wanted to eclipse that.  ;D