Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30334 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It's pretty clear what's going on. Fans think the Kings were fleeced, but team executives think they made the right move. Which side has the greater insight to Cousins' temperament?

This is from Kings play-by-play man Grant Napear, who like Gormam with us, is privy to a lot of behind the scenes information:

Trading DMC was an absolute no brainer! There has been a dark cloud over this franchise for years! That cloud is now gone!
The Kings were never going to win with Cousins. NEVER! This was a no brainer! I wish him well! I really do but it was time!

And here's maybe the most important thing. Most of Cousin's teammates the past 7 years hated playing with him! That is a fact!
I like the insight from Naper. He's close to the team and has all the reason in the world to root for them but also doesn't have to save face for the franchise the way an executive would have to put pretend everything was roses, regardless of how bad the deal.

It doesn't make him right, but it means something that this guy who loves the team and watches every single game is glad Cousins is gone.

Cedric Maxwell thinks Dirk was better than Larry.  The analysis of announcers is about as relevant as the analysis of talk radio hosts.
Just because Maxwell has one silly opinion isn't a reason to discount the opinion of a totally different person who happens to do a similar job.

And as I said, his proximity to/position with the Kings doesn't make him right, but it does give him a perspective worth paying attention to. His acting like the franchise just exercised a demon is relevant.

EDIT to add this:
If Mike Gorman said Jaylen Brown wasn't going to be a very good player, eh, major grain of salt. If he said teammates can't stand him, that's something to be genuinely concerned with because he's around those people almost every day.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I love the deal from NO's perspective.  NO vs Golden State in Round 1 could be a real interesting series to watch just for the match up of styles.  But I'm also fine with the Celtics passing.  They are too far along to wreck what they've done to date by bringing in a guy who could potentially destroy their chemistry. In the Pel's case they need to surround Davis with some talent sooner vs later.

Not everyone can deal emotionally with playing in Boston.  And Cousins has given no indication that he could hold up.  And his act of not showing up every night would not play well here  with many.  That's the one thing about Boston - if the fans and media sense you're dogging it - it can be a very unpleasant place to play.

« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The day after and man... Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, and Jrue Holiday is a heck of a core. All under 26 and should complement each other on the court. On a pure talent level, AD and Boogie are reminiscent of Duncan and Robinson. Jrue has the playmaking and shooting ability to fit VERY well next to them.

If NO can add some solid 3 and D wings, that could be a high caliber team for a long time.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
This tweet by the New Orleans Pelicans twitter account says it all:
https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/833556203179483137

Kings got robbed.

Kings did not... Its the best they could get for a problem child
Plus they likely get to keep their own 2017 draft pick (top 10)

They are happy

You know how bad it got in Sac?? Not even draft prospects wanted to workout for the team

I don't agree. IMO you can't put all the blame on Cousins and think that everything is going to be alright now that he is traded to another team. The Kings is a badly run organization hence nobody wants to be a part of their team.

Here are three examples of how bad the organization is:
(1) The Kings decided to let Isaiah Thomas go because they didn't want to pay him.
(2) They decided to draft Jimmer Fredette instead of picking Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard.
(3) They have wasted picks by drafting players like Thomas Robinson, Nik Stauskas and Papagiannis.

We can agree on the fact that Cousins has issues, but the Kings' issues go way beyond those of Cousins'. 

In addition, I just read that the Kings averaged around 25 wins per season in three years before drafting Cousins. Telling me that they are going to be better now that he is gone from the team is laughable.

Finally, I just don't buy into the premise that they couldn't get a better package for Cousins. Reportedly the owner Vivek Ranadive was crazy about Buddy Hield, who was picked 2 spots before the Kings' pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one forcing the trade because he wanted Buddy.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Kings got robbed.

They are happy

You know how bad it got in Sac?? Not even draft prospects wanted to workout for the team

I don't agree. IMO you can't put all the blame on Cousins and think that everything is going to be alright now that he is traded to another team. The Kings is a badly run organization hence nobody wants to be a part of their team.

(1) The Kings decided to let Isaiah Thomas go because they didn't want to pay him.
(2) They decided to draft Jimmer Fredette instead of picking Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard.
(3) They have wasted picks by drafting players like Thomas Robinson, Nik Stauskas and Papagiannis.

We can agree on the fact that Cousins has issues, but the Kings' issues go way beyond those of Cousins'. 

In addition, I just read that the Kings averaged around 25 wins per season in three years before drafting Cousins. Telling me that they are going to be better now that he is gone from the team is laughable.

Finally, I just don't buy into the premise that they couldn't get a better package for Cousins. Reportedly the owner Vivek Ranadive was crazy about Buddy Hield, who was picked 2 spots before the Kings' pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one forcing the trade because he wanted Buddy.

You forgot "trading away 2017 swapvrights and a 2019 unprotected #1 to clear cap space for Rondo and Bellinelli".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Kings got robbed.

They are happy

You forgot "trading away 2017 swapvrights and a 2019 unprotected #1 to clear cap space for Rondo and Bellinelli".
Haha the list just goes on and on!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
There is an incredible amount of whining going on right now.

Danny made the right call.

« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
There is an incredible amount of whining going on right now.

Danny made the right call.

We hope. 

« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
One NBA GM to ESPN on the Boogie Cousins trade: "It was bad deal. Now New Orleans will pay him close to 200 million. Sacramento just did not want to pay him. Only Vivek wanted him. New Orleans was desperate -- and Sacramento is free!"

Jeff Goodman, ESPN Insider

Lol.

It's pretty clear what's going on. Fans think the Kings were fleeced, but team executives think they made the right move. Which side has the greater insight to Cousins' temperament?

This is from Kings play-by-play man Grant Napear, who like Gorman with us, is privy to a lot of behind the scenes information:

Trading DMC was an absolute no brainer! There has been a dark cloud over this franchise for years! That cloud is now gone!
The Kings were never going to win with Cousins. NEVER! This was a no brainer! I wish him well! I really do but it was time!

And here's maybe the most important thing. Most of Cousin's teammates the past 7 years hated playing with him! That is a fact!

Anyone who thinks the "dark cloud over Sacto" is gone is quite mistaken. They still have a foolish owner, an incompetent GM, a bad culture, and hardly any talent. I hope the fans enjoy the new arena, because that's the only thing they're going to be able to enjoy anytime soon.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Before trade, DeMarcus Cousins agent said client unlikely to re-sign with new team
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/20/before-trade-demarcus-cousins-agent-said-client-unlikely-to-re-sign-with-new-team/

From the Vlade Divac presser:

"Winning begins with culture and character matters."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:35:25 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2017, 03:35:01 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Vlade press conference is airing live now over on http://www.csnbayarea.com/

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LOL Divac said they had a better offer for Cousins 2 days ago.

I'm starting to feel like the poetic outcome would've been for Kings management and Cousins to be stuck together forever, in a "hell is other people" kinda way.

« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
LOL Divac said they had a better offer for Cousins 2 days ago.

I'm starting to feel like the poetic outcome would've been for Kings management and Cousins to be stuck together forever, in a "hell is other people" kinda way.

Well, the Lakers offer was likely better, Divac just wanted to stick it to them, and I'm glad he did.

« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Interview with exiting Cousins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjwFvTljA4

you almost want to believe that he has turned the corner...  but If I was a betting man,  I would say he racks up his 17th technical in his 1st game as a Pelican

IF he goes "sober" and doesn't rack up anymore techs, that will be a big step for him

« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Cousins has shown to give iffy effort at times and has been a locker-room cancer. yes, the talent is there...and maybe he will turn it around for a little while in a honey-moon period.

but chances are he reverts to being a locker-room problem sooner rather than later.