Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30190 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2017, 07:32:14 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's embarrassing how many CBers are teeth gnashing and wailing this morning. I also wanted Cousins. I've been consistent on this board about wanting to acquire him.

Danny and Brad obviously elected not to pursue him.

Might they know something that we do not? That's 100% certain to be true.

Maybe they have an inkling that Cousins wouldn't resign here. Maybe they knew that he couldn't be happy in Boston. Maybe they knew the Boston media would drive him nuts. Maybe they believe that his style of play would harm the rest of the team. Maybe they knew he is truly a locker room cancer. Maybe they have other targets that better fit the team's style of play and chemistry.

I don't know which one it is. Yes, we could have easily beaten the deal from the Pels to get Cousins. But it's often said that sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. In this case, Danny and Brad decided that was the best course of action. Also consider that other teams could beat the Pel's deal as well and also elected not to do so.

So this trade elicits a shrug from me. Not because I don't think Danny/Brad can do no wrong but because they obviously had strong reasons - even if they're unbeknownst to us - to not make this deal. Perhaps when they realize this some of the more emotional contributors to CB will calm down.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:43:36 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
A bit off topic, but I feel bad for Denver after this trade. The Plumlee deal looked like it was gonna get them the 8th seed this year, but now the Pelicans should be able to catch them no problem (they're only 2.5 games back right now)

At least Denver gave up Memphis' 1st instead of their own, because they're looking at another trip to the lottery
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:41:58 AM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's embarrassing how many CBers are teeth gnashing and wailing this morning. I also wanted Cousins. I've been consistent on this board about wanting to acquire him.

Danny and Brad obviously elected not to pursue him.

Might they know something that we do not? That's 100% certain to be true.

Maybe they have an inkling that Cousins wouldn't resign here. Maybe they knew that he couldn't be happy in Boston. Maybe they knew the Boston media would drive him nuts. Maybe they believe that his style of play would harm the rest of the team. Maybe they knew he is truly a locker room cancer. Maybe they have other targets that better fit the team's style of play and chemistry.

I don't know which one it is. Yes, we could have easily beaten the deal from the Pels to get Cousins. But it's often said that sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.In this case, Danny and Brad decided that was the best course of action.

So this trade elicits a shrug from me. Not because I don't think Danny/Brad can do no wrong but because they obviously had strong reasons - even if they're unbeknownst to us - to not make this deal. Perhaps when they realize this some of the more emotional contributors to CB will calm down.
TP!

« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2017, 07:40:37 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm fine with this non trade.

Those cursing Danny right now need to remember that the Celtics have improved for 3 straight seasons, are 2nd in the East with a wealth of young assets, and will have a top 3 pick in the next draft with likely another one coming the following draft. This team is in great position whether there is trade made now or not and that's because of Danny.

And I'm fine with not adding Cousins. It would be an utter disaster if the Nets pick turns into a franchise cornerstone and it's given up for 1.5yers of Boogie Cousins. If there was no reasonable expectation that Cousins could be resigned in Boston, then you don't give up that asset. Especially for someone as emotionally unpredictable as Cousins.

Could it have worked? Could it have been amazing? Yeah. But too much of a gamble for me. As it was for Ainge and Stevens, too, apparently.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Trying to figure out why the Pelicans aren't now annual contenders for the next decade. Can't really see a reason

« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am torn.  You have to go into the deal thinking that Cousins signs with the Lakers when he can and we are not able to resign him.  There is also a chance we would not want to resign him due to character issues.

So the deal would be something like Amir, Brown, BKN 2017 (maybe protected turning into the 2018 pick if top 3 or something like that) plus the #36 pick which we have.  We would have a really good team still to put around Cousins.

I think that is a lot to give up for 1.25 seasons (2 playoff runs) of a highly talented headcase.  It is also far less than you would expect to give up for a player of that caliber.  I am OK with walking away  on this trade but it is a tough one.  I guess Danny saw this as too short-term.

« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
What if Ainge has a tampering-type kind of agreement with Hayward and so he cannot add salary after this summer? This may be an option.

Also, as I have posted, the worst thing about the trade is not that Cousins go to another team for a very low package. What annoys me the most is that the Pelicans improve (presumably) and Anthony Davis will not be available for years at all. Being unhappy stuck in a bad team was the only option for us to have a chance of getting him.

The best option WAS cousins!  Period!  Fills a need, is young, we give up few assets.  ****n!

I share it, but there has to be something that has prevented the trade. So I throw an idea, just that.

« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm fine with this non trade.

Those cursing Danny right now need to remember that the Celtics have improved for 3 straight seasons, are 2nd in the East with a wealth of young assets, and will have a top 3 pick in the next draft with likely another one coming the following draft. This team is in great position whether there is trade made now or not and that's because of Danny.

And I'm fine with not adding Cousins. It would be an utter disaster if the Nets pick turns into a franchise cornerstone and it's given up for 1.5yers of Boogie Cousins. If there was no reasonable expectation that Cousins could be resigned in Boston, then you don't give up that asset. Especially for someone as emotionally unpredictable as Cousins.

Could it have worked? Could it have been amazing? Yeah. But too much of a gamble for me. As it was for Ainge and Stevens, too, apparently.

Agree.
Those cursing Danny are acting like spoiled brat or desperate housewife.

« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Trying to figure out why the Pelicans aren't now annual contenders for the next decade. Can't really see a reason

Because Cousins is only signed for this season and next, and the rest of the team is essentially D-League talent.

« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2017, 08:30:26 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Because very SOON 30% of their cap room will go to ONE player, Cousins and another 25% going to a player that seemingly gets hurt a LOT in Davis, will leave very little money to put the necessary pieces (guards, PG's, and forwards) around them!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Great trade for Sacramento,  terrible, short sighted
 trade for New Orleans, they basically gave up 2 lottery picks. They didn't address any of their weaknesses and sacrificed their ability to build a team around Davis. Smh.

« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Alvin Gentry.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Great trade for Sacramento,  terrible, short sighted
 trade for New Orleans, they basically gave up 2 lottery picks. They didn't address any of their weaknesses and sacrificed their ability to build a team around Davis. Smh.

Huh?

They added an All-NBA player at a position of need.  This is them building around Davis.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I feel inspired and have another conspiracy in mind.

Ainge hasn't outbidded NO's offer for Cousins, so that they are the 8th seed in the West and with the Twin Towers the Pelicans destroy GSW in the first round. An unhappy Durant will opt out to sign with us.

OK, I'm stopping now  8)

« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Because very SOON 30% of their cap room will go to ONE player, Cousins and another 25% going to a player that seemingly gets hurt a LOT in Davis, will leave very little money to put the necessary pieces (guards, PG's, and forwards) around them!!!!!

Smitty77
I'd gladly pay 55% of cap to have the best PF and best C in the game especially when they are so young.  We'll have to pay that much to retain Thomas, Bradley and Smart.  We're paying Horford more than NOP is paying Davis.