Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30333 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Terrible return for SAC. Further proof of their incompetence.

I'm disappointed Danny couldn't/wouldn't go for DMC. I guess this means Danny's placing all of his eggs in the Brooklyn basket, and we the fans have to hope that a) Boston finally gets some lottery luck, and b) Danny turns one of the two upcoming Brooklyn picks into the next NBA superstar.

Can't say I'm brimming with confidence about that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2017, 02:54:36 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Considering what NO spent for Boogie, if we could've gotten him for a package like BRK 2018, Bradley, Zeller and the Memphis pick (maybe the MIN 2nd this year too, or Zizic), it's a YUGE mistake. Cousins may be a head case, but he's a top 10 player. If your not willing to part with a bunch of mid-level assets for him, your sadly mistaken.

I defend Ainge constantly, but this is a disappointment. Boogie makes us an immediate contender right now. What's the point of having the NBA's best assets is your not willing to move a few 2nd tier ones for a player like Boogie.

I agree.

But don't worry, our roster of second-tier players will defeat the mighty Cavs and Warriors by out-hearting them!  :P
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2017, 02:58:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Apparently the win over Boston without Boogie was one of the things that sent Vivek over the top to trade Boogie lol

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/02/20/demarcus-cousins-trade-kings-pelican-buddy-hield/98145018/

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/833568077929447424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

A lot of factors for Kings, but recent win over Boston w/out DeMarcus after he was suspended was a flashpoint

Gotta be one of the worst owners in sports.
Who just made a trade that may help us get a star at rock bottom prices by pushing the market value this low
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2017, 03:03:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ainge must not have believe Cousins was the final piece.

He will keep the options open to build for five to eight years from now, if that final piece doesn't come along.

Is he staking his job on getting that final piece, by trade or draft or free agency, sometime in the next few years?

I think so.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He will keep the options open to build for five to eight years from now, if that final piece doesn't come along.

Is he staking his job on getting that final piece, by trade or draft or free agency, sometime in the next few years?

I think so.
Staking his job by building this team that has a chance of improving? Even if the C's don't win a championship in the next 10 years I think he still doesn't get fired because most GMs can't even get a shoddy team to this position in a few years
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2017, 03:28:39 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Can someone explain to me how we can sign Boogie outright than just trade assets for him. Cousins is not a free agent this summer and this summer is the only time we have a spot for a max player.

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2017, 03:46:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Considering what NO spent for Boogie, if we could've gotten him for a package like BRK 2018, Bradley, Zeller and the Memphis pick (maybe the MIN 2nd this year too, or Zizic), it's a YUGE mistake. Cousins may be a head case, but he's a top 10 player. If your not willing to part with a bunch of mid-level assets for him, your sadly mistaken.

I defend Ainge constantly, but this is a disappointment. Boogie makes us an immediate contender right now. What's the point of having the NBA's best assets is your not willing to move a few 2nd tier ones for a player like Boogie.

I agree.

But don't worry, our roster of second-tier players will defeat the mighty Cavs and Warriors by out-hearting them!  :P

We would have had to give up the 2017 Brooklyn pick in all likelihood because part of the Kings motivation to trade him this year was so they could retain their own pick instead of the Bulls landing it. So even though the 2018 BRK pick could have been offered, their impatient front office got excited about drafting a couple of guys this year in the top 10 and getting Buddy Hield.

Edit: I just looked it up and it appears that the 76ers had a pick swap with the Kings this season where if the Kings pick was not conveyed to the Bulls, the 76ers could swap with the Kings.

Hinkie organized a nice swap option where the 76ers get the Kings pick if it somehow ends up higher after the lottery. They essentially have a higher % chance at the #1 pick now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:58:34 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2017, 03:51:18 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The New Orleans Pelicans were close to trading for Jahlil Okafor approximately 10 days ago with a package that was similar to the one they used to acquire DeMarcus Cousins.

The Pelicans were discussing a trade of Tyreke Evans, New Orleans' 2017 first rounder and Philadelphia's 2017 second rounder for Okafor with the 76ers. Unlike their offer for Cousins, the Pelicans were not including Buddy Hield.

The deal between the Pelicans and 76ers fell apart over pick protections.
Ramona Shelburn

Wow now that's a great what if? Patient GM'ing from the NO FO bagged them a top 15 player instead of a borderline prospect.

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:31 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I can't lie I'm p---ed.

Why did so many fans on here not want to trade for him? Because the Kings most likely wanted too much for him. Then the Pelicans go out and snag him for pretty much nothing. Yeah Ainge in any other franchise you'd be on the hotseat.

There is a positive about this though. This at least lowers the market value at least a little bit for Butler. I guess according to other sources we were looking at him anyways.

If we strike out on both Cousins, Butler, and don't end up with a top 2 pick in the draft? I'm calling for Ainge's head.

If Ainge keeps playing this safe sh1t we won't go anywhere, but tread water. This was our move to become contenders with either a top 2017 pick coming or we could have flipped the rest of our picks for Butler.

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:10 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I can't lie I'm p---ed.

Why did so many fans on here not want to trade for him? Because the Kings most likely wanted too much for him. Then the Pelicans go out and snag him for pretty much nothing. Yeah Ainge in any other franchise you'd be on the hotseat.

There is a positive about this though. This at least lowers the market value at least a little bit for Butler. I guess according to other sources we were looking at him anyways.

If we strike out on both Cousins, Butler, and don't end up with a top 2 pick in the draft? I'm calling for Ainge's head.

If Ainge keeps playing this safe sh1t we won't go anywhere, but tread water. This was our move to become contenders with either a top 2017 pick coming or we could have flipped the rest of our picks for Butler.

It's not just you a lot of Celtics fan's online are extremely upset, I sincerely hope either Danny or Wyc comes out to do some type of press conference or radio interview to clarify what happened with Cousins because after constantly being promised the world fans are being let down.

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2017, 04:17:21 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I can't lie I'm p---ed.

It's not just you a lot of Celtics fan's online are extremely upset, I sincerely hope either Danny or Wyc comes out to do some type of press conference or radio interview to clarify what happened with Cousins because after constantly being promised the world fans are being let down.

Yeah I don't think there's anything worse than having a stockpile of picks if you overvalue everything you have. Picks lose value after the pick is made because it's tied to some tangible thing that isn't an endless scenario of great players that you can select at a certain position.

I also don't think that there's anything worse than knowing that you can still be a top 2 seed in the East and there's no chance of you getting out of the East or to be a contender.

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2017, 04:22:24 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
What is so hard to understand for all of you who are lamenting the C's not getting in on Boogie?  Ainge and Stevens (and 28 other teams) consider him a cancer, who won't help a team win.  The price was low for a reason.  Larry Bird turned a 20 some win team into a 60 win team.  A true superstar helps his team win more games, not just puts up huge numbers in loss after loss.  Move on.

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2017, 04:26:02 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Well, now it is plain to see that DMC isn't worth to us much.
We could have easily given at least 3 different and stronger offers, but we opted not to.
And I am 100% behind Danny and Brad on this one.
Vlade showed he was kindergartened in Philly/salary dump trade, he also showed that he, along with the owners, didn't know that DMC trade value will depreciate.
It is a classic - flawed gem/weak return trade
We keep looking out for true gems, as we should.

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2017, 04:30:27 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I think so.

The problem with this trade es that THIS final piece was an unhappy Anthony Davis.

With this trade, he may be happier...except if Cousins destroys this locker room. It is a double-edge sword, as we say in Spanish.

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2017, 04:54:27 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm glad. I don't trust what's between Cousins ears. And it looks like other GM's must not too. Sometimes great #'s aren't enough.
Peace through Tyranny