Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30189 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2017, 01:17:11 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The Pelicans are 2.5 games out of the playoffs.  That means their pick very reasonably will end up 15+.

My takeaway:  If all Cousins cost was Hield, an expiring contract, and a pick that will end up 10-17, there's no way in HELL I'd be willing to trade the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for Jimmy Butler.  Sorry, but Butler isn't nearly as good as DeMarcus Cousins.  Our comparable package would have been Jaylen Brown (similar to Hield) + Zizic (they say he'd go 11-15 in this draft) + an expiring contract (what Evans is) + a 2nd. 

Say what you want about Cousins' attitude, but even so Jimmy Butler should cost half as much as Cousins.   The market has been set.  I'll be pretty disappointed if we even gave up a single Brooklyn pick straight-up for Butler at this point.

Also, since people expect it of me at this point, I'm going to point out that the 76ers are thrilled at this news.   They have pick-swap rights with the Kings (who will likely stink hard post-trade) so even if Philly keeps winning games (they are 13-11 in 2017), they are still looking at a juicy pick via the Kings presuming the Kings fall over the final stretch.

Surprised this is all Sac got after all of this.

FWIW, while people are freaking out about this return, it should be noted that traditionally this is the type of pu-pu platter package teams get when they trade their stars.  You don't get a projected #1 pick in a loaded draft.  You get some young talent and a late lotto pick.   This is the norm.

Agree with your point except for this one.

Sure, no one is expecting a top pick, but it's reasonable to ask for at least TWO first rounders for what is a top 5-10 talent. They really can't squeeze out another 1st in this deal? Not even a heavily protected one?

Kevin Love for Andrew Wiggins anyone?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
watch out for the NBA conspiracy theory to get Kings some draft love.
[dang] hadn't thought of that, I'm betting the kings and the lakers jump ahead of us and we miss out on the Fultz/Ball sweepstakes (Jonathan Isaac can be great but [dang] we would be so screwed)
I'd be more than happy with Josh Jackson.  That guy would fit this team perfectly!
I would be happy with either him or isaac tbh but I really want a guy who can explode right out of the gate and Fultz and ball are the surest bets of that
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Sometimes the best trades are the ones that didn't happen.

This MUST be one of them.

Yep. Have to agree.

This had the potential to trade away Brown and the Nets pick, both who become all-stars. Here in Boston, he disrupts the chemistry, clashes with someone like Smart, and bolts when his contract is up.

Everyone blames Ainge for setting the team back taking a flyer on a soon-to-be-FA risky head case.

Yeah, because that's comparable to what SAC actually garnered from NO? Not close. Nice straw man.

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:53 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The Pelicans are now INSTANT contenders up there with the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets and Clippers.

Wow.

I do not believe this to be true, at all. They did not go from lottery team to elite team wth the addition of a .45 fg%, 4to center. The guy puts up huge stats on very bad teams.

Those two are certainly interesting to see together and could become terrific, but let's use the wait and see approach with this duo.

The rest of the roster is pretty cruddy, btw.
They're actually pretty solid imo with a starting lineup of Jrue Holiday, E'twuan Moore, Solomon Hill, AD and DMC. People forget that Holiday is still an above average pg and Moore and Hill are ok defensive guys who can shoot a bit. What they're missing though is a SG/SF that can come off the bench, but they can most likely pick guys like that up on waivers

Holiday is a nice PG but I would definitely put him in the latter half of starting PG's.

The rest of their roster is anywhere from decent to bad. There are no other GOOD players on the roster after their big two plus Jrue.

They have a lot of holes that need repairing ASAP to have any chance of winning a round this year.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 01:20:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Except the Sixers can swap picks with them this year, and own their 2019 pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
The Pelicans are now INSTANT contenders up there with the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets and Clippers.

Wow.

I do not believe this to be true, at all. They did not go from lottery team to elite team wth the addition of a .45 fg%, 4to center. The guy puts up huge stats on very bad teams.

Those two are certainly interesting to see together and could become terrific, but let's use the wait and see approach with this duo.

The rest of the roster is pretty cruddy, btw.
They're actually pretty solid imo with a starting lineup of Jrue Holiday, E'twuan Moore, Solomon Hill, AD and DMC. People forget that Holiday is still an above average pg and Moore and Hill are ok defensive guys who can shoot a bit. What they're missing though is a SG/SF that can come off the bench, but they can most likely pick guys like that up on waivers

Holiday is a nice PG but I would definitely put him in the latter half of starting PG's.

The rest of their roster is anywhere from decent to bad. There are no other GOOD players on the roster after their big two plus Jrue.

They have a lot of holes that need repairing ASAP to have any chance of winning a round this year.
Terrence Jones looks pretty nice and Tim Frazier (former Celtic Guard) looks reliable as well. They just need a good wing/swing and a big man for a well balanced 8-9 man rotation that could mix it up with anybody (I think they have that wing in Casspi already who is coming with DMC, so they just need to dangle another first for the young rotational big)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:52 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
God, I'm depressed.

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 01:23:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Except the Sixers can swap picks with them this year, and own their 2019 pick.
That's a relief, I don't see the nba screwing us for the sake of building a philly dynasty so we'll have a good chance of being in the top two
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2017, 01:23:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
God, I'm depressed.
Man don't be, honestly this trade makes it easier for us to get stars 😉
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 01:25:06 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
God, I'm depressed.

Really? Who?

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 01:25:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
God, I'm depressed.

Really? Who?
Um any star
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Yep. Have to agree.

This had the potential to trade away Brown and the Nets pick, both who become all-stars. Here in Boston, he disrupts the chemistry, clashes with someone like Smart, and bolts when his contract is up.

Everyone blames Ainge for setting the team back taking a flyer on a soon-to-be-FA risky head case.

Yeah, because that's comparable to what SAC actually garnered from NO? Not close. Nice straw man.

Yeah, because Hield was higher on most draft boards than Brown, and they wanted a 2017 pick. A BOS '18 pick wasn't enough 

But you're right. We would have gotten him for Rozier, Johnson and the Clippers pick.

Ainge is incompetent.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The hilarious thing here is that Boogie Cousins could STILL end up in BOS....eventually.

We MUST wait and see how the rest of the NBA Landscape shapes up....wait until this season plays out.

As of now we STILL have ALL of our assets and team intact. That is a good thing.

What if he leaves NO? He has that option, right?

If anything, Vlade is probably packing his bags and talking to a real estate agent about now.

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 01:28:17 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
It seems that Cousins' Agent was using the He won't sign anywhere but Sac threat to force the Kings to re-sign him to the monster deal and scare off other teams.  I don't think the Kings wanted to re-sign him, so they traded him to the highest buyer.  The return value in a trade dropped drastically to what the Pels paid because the chance Cousins will re-sign is small. 

If Cousins intends to explore free agency no matter what, the celtics may have dodged a bullet. 

Positive is that the Celtics could sign Cousins if he leaves in Free Agency

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2017, 01:28:44 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum

Yep. Have to agree.

Yeah, because Hield was higher on most draft boards than Brown, and they wanted a 2017 pick. A BOS '18 pick wasn't enough 

But you're right. We would have gotten him for Rozier, Johnson and the Clippers pick.

Ainge is incompetent.

No, it would taken more than Rozier, Johnson and the Clippers pick. It would NOT, however, have cost Brown and 17 nets pick. That's not consistent with the accepted offer.