Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30197 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 01:08:29 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Trust Danny and Brad.

Bigger fish to be had, I believe.

Really? Who?

We simply can't roast Danny because DeMarcus Cousins got traded to someone other than BOS.

We are JUST fans. There MUST be something else going on behind the scenes for us to NOT get Boogie - as much as I like him.

I'm afraid you're setting yourself up for a massive letdown. THIS was Danny's chance, and he failed to pull the trigger. No player with Cousins' size and talent will be on the market again for a long time.

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 01:08:37 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
You got to wonder, for such a low price, if it would've been worth it for the C's to trade for him, and hope he keeps his mouth shut for just the rest of this season - taking the C's to the finals, and then ship him off after raising his stock?  I guess that's too risky.

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Sometimes the best trades are the ones that didn't happen.

This MUST be one of them.

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The Pelicans are now INSTANT contenders up there with the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets and Clippers.

Wow.

I do not believe this to be true, at all. They did not go from lottery team to elite team wth the addition of a .45 fg%, 4to center. The guy puts up huge stats on very bad teams.

Those two are certainly interesting to see together and could become terrific, but let's use the wait and see approach with this duo.

The rest of the roster is pretty cruddy, btw.
They're actually pretty solid imo with a starting lineup of Jrue Holiday, E'twuan Moore, Solomon Hill, AD and DMC. People forget that Holiday is still an above average pg and Moore and Hill are ok defensive guys who can shoot a bit. What they're missing though is a SG/SF that can come off the bench, but they can most likely pick guys like that up on waivers
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
watch out for the NBA conspiracy theory to get Kings some draft love.

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 01:13:17 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Pelicans are 2.5 games out of the playoffs.  That means their pick very reasonably will end up 15+.

My takeaway:  If all Cousins cost was Hield, an expiring contract, and a pick that will end up 10-17, there's no way in HELL I'd be willing to trade the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for Jimmy Butler.  Sorry, but Butler isn't nearly as good as DeMarcus Cousins.  Our comparable package would have been Jaylen Brown (similar to Hield) + Zizic (they say he'd go 11-15 in this draft) + an expiring contract (what Evans is) + a 2nd. 

Say what you want about Cousins' attitude, but even so Jimmy Butler should cost half as much as Cousins.   The market has been set.  I'll be pretty disappointed if we even gave up a single Brooklyn pick straight-up for Butler at this point.

Also, since people expect it of me at this point, I'm going to point out that the 76ers are thrilled at this news.   They have pick-swap rights with the Kings (who will likely stink hard post-trade) so even if Philly keeps winning games (they are 13-11 in 2017), they are still looking at a juicy pick via the Kings presuming the Kings fall over the final stretch.

Surprised this is all Sac got after all of this.

FWIW, while people are freaking out about this return, it should be noted that traditionally this is the type of pu-pu platter package teams get when they trade their stars.  You don't get a projected #1 pick in a loaded draft.  You get some young talent and a late lotto pick.   This is the norm.

Agree with your point except for this one.

Sure, no one is expecting a top pick, but it's reasonable to ask for at least TWO first rounders for what is a top 5-10 talent. They really can't squeeze out another 1st in this deal? Not even a heavily protected one?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 01:13:20 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Trust Danny and Brad.

Really? Who?

We simply can't roast Danny because DeMarcus Cousins got traded to someone other than BOS.

We are JUST fans. There MUST be something else going on behind the scenes for us to NOT get Boogie - as much as I like him.

Danny makes mistakes.

But it's not just Danny, though. If teams really thought Cousins was worth the risk, then the offers would've been much better. This isn't a mass conspiracy against Cousins. The logical assumption is that teams know Cousins much better than we fans do, have likely vetted him relentlessly, and simply refused to offer much for him. That in itself should speak volumes as to the cancer Cousins is. In fact, I recall Goodman saying that teams thinking he's going to change would be fooling themselves. He went on add to say, that he's had the same issues since he was in high school. Age hasn't matured him. College didn't change him. Neither did a plethora of NBA coaches. However, Ainge made a mistake? If anyone would take the Cousins risk it would be Ainge. So when he doesn't that's all you really need to know.

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
[dang] hadn't thought of that, I'm betting the kings and the lakers jump ahead of us and we miss out on the Fultz/Ball sweepstakes (Jonathan Isaac can be great but [dang] we would be so screwed)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:29 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Yep. Have to agree.

This had the potential to trade away Brown and the Nets pick, both who become all-stars. Here in Boston, he disrupts the chemistry, clashes with someone like Smart, and bolts when his contract is up.

Everyone blames Ainge for setting the team back taking a flyer on a soon-to-be-FA risky head case.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 01:15:42 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Trust Danny and Brad.

Really? Who?

I'm afraid you're setting yourself up for a massive letdown. THIS was Danny's chance, and he failed to pull the trigger. No player with Cousins' size and talent will be on the market again for a long time.

And what big man on the 2016 Cavs or 2015 Warrior's had Cousins size or talent?

Losing out on big name players is rough but the formula for winning hasn't been acquire the biggest frontcourt possible since the Shaq and Kobe Lakers. Shooting, pace, defensive versatility, and chemistry now rule the land and Cousins could have upset every one of those aspects for us.

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 01:15:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Remember the Alex Rodriguez trade from the Rangers to the Red Sox....that was such a trade. I think you are right, this might be another.

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2017, 01:15:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Trust Danny and Brad.

Really? Who?

I simply believe Danny has his reasons here.

NO still has some pieces to acquire to be a surefire contender...and is Boogie even confirmed to WANT to stay there?

I believe we're all jumping the gun here.

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:04 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
[dang] hadn't thought of that, I'm betting the kings and the lakers jump ahead of us and we miss out on the Fultz/Ball sweepstakes (Jonathan Isaac can be great but [dang] we would be so screwed)
I'd be more than happy with Josh Jackson.  That guy would fit this team perfectly!

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I just read somewhere that this trade means Cousins WILL NOT be able to sign for the new designated player extension with NO, making it much more likely he could leave as a free agent.

That would certainly go a long way toward explaining things.

Mike

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
The Pelicans are 2.5 games out of the playoffs.  That means their pick very reasonably will end up 15+.

My takeaway:  If all Cousins cost was Hield, an expiring contract, and a pick that will end up 10-17, there's no way in HELL I'd be willing to trade the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for Jimmy Butler.  Sorry, but Butler isn't nearly as good as DeMarcus Cousins.  Our comparable package would have been Jaylen Brown (similar to Hield) + Zizic (they say he'd go 11-15 in this draft) + an expiring contract (what Evans is) + a 2nd. 

Say what you want about Cousins' attitude, but even so Jimmy Butler should cost half as much as Cousins.   The market has been set.  I'll be pretty disappointed if we even gave up a single Brooklyn pick straight-up for Butler at this point.

Also, since people expect it of me at this point, I'm going to point out that the 76ers are thrilled at this news.   They have pick-swap rights with the Kings (who will likely stink hard post-trade) so even if Philly keeps winning games (they are 13-11 in 2017), they are still looking at a juicy pick via the Kings presuming the Kings fall over the final stretch.

Surprised this is all Sac got after all of this.

FWIW, while people are freaking out about this return, it should be noted that traditionally this is the type of pu-pu platter package teams get when they trade their stars.  You don't get a projected #1 pick in a loaded draft.  You get some young talent and a late lotto pick.   This is the norm.

Agree with your point except for this one.

Sure, no one is expecting a top pick, but it's reasonable to ask for at least TWO first rounders for what is a top 5-10 talent. They really can't squeeze out another 1st in this deal? Not even a heavily protected one?
They did get some players In Tyreke and Galloway which I think equates to another first if they know how to trade it
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA