Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30302 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Ah, I really don't get this talk about C's don't want Boogie.  Even if they didn't want him, they still could have heisted Divac and then flip him to another team for 3x as much...

« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's pretty clear what's going on. Fans think the Kings were fleeced, but team executives think they made the right move. Which side has the greater insight to Cousins' temperament?

This is from Kings play-by-play man Grant Napear, who like Gormam with us, is privy to a lot of behind the scenes information:

Trading DMC was an absolute no brainer! There has been a dark cloud over this franchise for years! That cloud is now gone!
The Kings were never going to win with Cousins. NEVER! This was a no brainer! I wish him well! I really do but it was time!

And here's maybe the most important thing. Most of Cousin's teammates the past 7 years hated playing with him! That is a fact!
I like the insight from Naper. He's close to the team and has all the reason in the world to root for them but also doesn't have to save face for the franchise the way an executive would have to put pretend everything was roses, regardless of how bad the deal.

It doesn't make him right, but it means something that this guy who loves the team and watches every single game is glad Cousins is gone.

Cedric Maxwell thinks Dirk was better than Larry.  The analysis of announcers is about as relevant as the analysis of talk radio hosts.
I put no stock in that comment not any comment where Max takes a shot at Bird.

Max has said several things over the years that call into question his basketball knowledge/insights.  Add in the fact Larry called him out on his lack of effort (taking plays off) and iirc, Bird had issues with the rate Max returned from his injury as well.   

Max's insights are definitely questionable.  I do think it's fair to say there are announcers who have more credibility than that.  Mike Gorman would fit that description in my book.

« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Ah, I really don't get this talk about C's don't want Boogie.  Even if they didn't want him, they still could have heisted Divac and then flip him to another team for 3x as much...
Why would a team offer more for Cousins after he was traded to Boston? That makes no sense.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008