Author Topic: The Spectre of Gordon Hayward  (Read 3913 times)

The Spectre of Gordon Hayward
« on: February 19, 2017, 05:23:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I can't help but think that Hayward's pending free agency looms large over what the Cs will do trade-wise at this deadline and at the draft.

Despite the tampering rules and the harsh penalties associated with them, I find it really hard to believe that Danny and Brad don't know have a very strong idea as to if Hayward's coming here or not.

Does anybody else feel this way or am I being too cynical?

Re: The Spectre of Gordon Hayward
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I agree. It's hard to believe that the two sides haven't discussed it.

I do think that the player the Cs will target first is Griffin. But I'm sure they'll figure out that likelihood we'll in advance of the actual signing period.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, if the Celtics aren't tampering, they should be. There's no reason to trade for Butler / George if Hayward wants to be here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Yeah, if the Celtics aren't tampering, they should be. There's no reason to trade for Butler / George if Hayward wants to be here.

Using the cap space in getting a wing of Hayward's caliber for free and still having the assets that it would've cost to get Butler/George........either for another trade or to roll with all our overachievers with a 1-3-5 of IT/Hayward/Horford......phew!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I do think it's reasons like this that Ainge will not reach for Butler. George is a different story, but his team is not going to trade him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I can't help but think that Hayward's pending free agency looms large over what the Cs will do trade-wise at this deadline and at the draft.

Fixed it but you are generally right. 

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yes - this concise statement should just be posted at the top of the forums. Getting Butler or George would be nice, but only for the right price and only if we know for certain Hayward has no intention of coming to Boston.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Yes, that's been my point here to be on the do-not-trade-for-Butler side.

And, as I have explained, the elimination of the Jazz in the first round would be very good for this option. Let's get Hayward, pick the best player available on draftday and, after that, organize your summer trades.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Using the cap space in getting a wing of Hayward's caliber for free and still having the assets that it would've cost to get Butler/George........either for another trade or to roll with all our overachievers with a 1-3-5 of IT/Hayward/Horford......phew!

I like the sound of this, makes perfect sense. Next step would be an upgrade at center to improve rebounding, while keeping the 2017 draft pick too.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 06:59:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

And, as I have explained, the elimination of the Jazz in the first round would be very good for this option. Let's get Hayward, pick the best player available on draftday and, after that, organize your summer trades.
I think we have a shot at hayward, but the Jazz are a young team that is likely to win 50 games and can offer more money.

Its not like you can pencil him into our lineup for next season. The odds of him signing here have to be below 50%.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I think we have a shot at hayward, but the Jazz are a young team that is likely to win 50 games and can offer more money.

Its not like you can pencil him into our lineup for next season. The odds of him signing here have to be below 50%.

The premise of the OP, though was that we likely know what Hayward is going to do already...that makes our priorities and trade decisions clearer.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I doubt Hayward has decided what he wants to do, much less told the Celtics.  But the fact that Hayward doesn't know yet I think gives Ainge enough confidence that he has a real good chance.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The premise of the OP, though was that we likely know what Hayward is going to do already...that makes our priorities and trade decisions clearer.
OK, and I disagree with that premise.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Hayward said he would prioritize winning a championship.  I would think he would see how good Boston is already, and how stacked the Western Conference is ahead of Utah.  He would have a much better shot at a ring in Boston without having to go through San Antonio or Golden State.  The fact that his off court friend and former coach is here can't hurt!

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Question: If we sign Hayward, I'm assuming that we would be trading Crowder (unless we wanted to play really small ball with JC at the 4). What kind of value can we get for Crowder if teams know that we are forced to trade him? Memories of our inability to trade draft picks last year are swimming in my head.

Mike