Author Topic: The Celtics have reportedly expressed "deep interest" in P.J. Tucker.  (Read 9978 times)

Re: The Celtics have reportedly expressed "deep interest" in P.J. Tucker.
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:03 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I'll repeat this idea for the third time, since apparently we now have a PJ Tucker thread:

Zeller, Jackson, Minny 2nd for Tucker and Barbosa.

sign me up

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lol oh boy fireworks ::)

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This is just me, absolutely me, but the PJ Tucker interest screams Jimmy Butler/Paul George trade to me.

Danny might have to involve Jae Crowder in that trade, so he's looking for a guy who can play defense in that position to back up Butler/George.

Again, this is just me, if we're going full blown tin foil conspiracy theory, that is mine. That's the only way I could explain to myself our interest in PJ Tucker.
I suppose. If you have something like Brown and Crowder going out in exchange for Butler you all of a sudden have a major major need for wing depth.

Like you said, its a stretch, but its not entirely out of the question.
I don't think it's a stretch. Why else would Ainge be interested in a fringe rotation guy at a position where there is already terrific depth?

We've been playing Gerald Green and James Young over 20 minutes combined recently.  Our depth has clearly been tested this season, and there's no reason not to improve it for a second rounder or two.
You left out that the reason Green and Young have been playing is because Bradley and Brown have been hurt. And are you certain that PJ Tucker is a lot better than Gerald Green? Heck, Young has been shooting pretty well in his minutes these last couple of games. Tucker is 31 years old, averaging single digits on the worst team in the Western conference. I just don't get his appeal.

I left out nothing.  Our depth has been tested, as I said.  We've had injuries all season long, and if you think about it, it's an extension of our injuries in the second half of last season and the playoffs as well.  Tucker is a significantly better player than Young and Green right now.   He's an expiring, and if he costs a second or two, so be it.  I wouldn't give up a first, even the Clippers pick, but he makes us a better team.
These would be my questions in thinking about a deal like that:

How much better is Tucker than Green or Young? What is the likelihood that Tucker would get minutes in the playoffs? What is the likelihood the assets required to get Tucker could be used as sweetener in a bigger deal and would that sweetening make a difference?

I think you're higher on Tucker than I am. Maybe he would be a terrific energy guy off the bench and play an important role in a few important games. Maybe the cost to get him is negligible for a team with lots of extra second rounders lying around. But unless he's plugging holes that open up after a bigger trade, I hope the team has higher priorities.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
BRING BACK MIKAEL PIETRUS!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
As someone else stated - if we want him just get him cheaply, I mean what would it possibly take for PJ Tucker? It's not like he is Demarcus Cousins. Just give them a 2nd round pick and a rack of balls or James Young.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:49:19 AM by hodgy03038 »

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I was very much in favor of no big trades at the deadline, but like so many on here, thought that we could very much benefit from some smaller moves.

Seeing how PJ Tucker played against us on Friday night only reinforces that feeling.

He played 29 minutes and had 10 rebounds (4offensive), 3 steals 1 assist and 9 pts and brought a ton of energy into the game. Plus he's an extra wing defender vs Bron Bron.

Great move by Ujiri.

As much as I am an Ainge supporter, I really think he took his eye off the ball on this one. Bad enough that we don't have him, but the Raps getting him really sucks.

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I was very much in favor of no big trades at the deadline, but like so many on here, thought that we could very much benefit from some smaller moves.

Seeing how PJ Tucker played against us on Friday night only reinforces that feeling.

He played 29 minutes and had 10 rebounds (4offensive), 3 steals 1 assist and 9 pts and brought a ton of energy into the game. Plus he's an extra wing defender vs Bron Bron.

Great move by Ujiri.

As much as I am an Ainge supporter, I really think he took his eye off the ball on this one. Bad enough that we don't have him, but the Raps getting him really sucks.

But DA was working on the PG13 deal until a half hourish to go. I'm sure they had something in place if they had done the deal, but by that point it was too late. And you couldn't do the deal before hand, needed to make sure you didn't move anyone that INDY may have wanted in the deal.

His move was make a huge improvement first, if not stand pat and wait till draft and summer when you have more wiggle room to play with the teams line up.