Author Topic: To the "Don't trade for Butler" crowd:  (Read 4136 times)

Re: To the "Don't trade for Butler" crowd:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Want Butler at a reasonable price.   Not what the rumored Bulls demand.
What are the Bulls rumored demand?

What is the most you would pay for Butler?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I don't think Danny would trade for Butler for if it meant giving up all our assets. The argument for him, is that we will be better now, but we will also be better the next few years, since it would take a while for a rookie to make the same impact he does.

Butler is a sure thing, we can't be positive that anyone in the draft will ever be as good as Butler. Butler would fit with the time line of guys like IT and Hoford better than a rookie would. If we don't give up all our assets we would still have room for internal improvement.

Butler is a sure thing, but he's also a sure thing to be 28 this September. He's very good but not great.

Butler does not get us past the Cavs in the next two years. The nets pick is not a sure thing but there is a good chance that player ends up being a star.

Celtics NBA champions I'm 2020 is still my plan. Sign Blake is FA if possible draft Board next two years.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Quote from: KG Living Legend link=topic=89332
Butler does not get us past the Cavs in the next two years.

You don't know that. I don't think the Cs should trade either Brown or the 2017 Nets pick for Butler, but he would greatly improve our chances against the Cabs as currently constituted.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't think Danny would trade for Butler for if it meant giving up all our assets. The argument for him, is that we will be better now, but we will also be better the next few years, since it would take a while for a rookie to make the same impact he does.

Butler is a sure thing, we can't be positive that anyone in the draft will ever be as good as Butler. Butler would fit with the time line of guys like IT and Hoford better than a rookie would. If we don't give up all our assets we would still have room for internal improvement.

Butler is a sure thing, but he's also a sure thing to be 28 this September. He's very good but not great.

Butler does not get us past the Cavs in the next two years. The nets pick is not a sure thing but there is a good chance that player ends up being a star.

Celtics NBA champions I'm 2020 is still my plan. Sign Blake is FA if possible draft Board next two years.
He is single-handedly carrying the Bulls to the playoffs this year, putting up 25/5/6

He is a  top 10-15 player. I think "very good" sells him a bit short. He is close to great.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I've been reading one particular sentiment on CB in the last 3 months or so, specifically regarding trading our cache of assets for a star. The prevailing wisdom in every thread seems to be something like:

"Don't trade for Butler/Cousins/George/[insert your superstar crush here] because we can't beat the Cavs/Warriors anyway."

That sentiment has really started to irk me. How the heck do any of the posters here know if we can beat the Cavs in a 7 game series?

Since I probably am one of those individuals who you are citing here, I will explain the rationale:

Up to this point the reports regarding Butler have been either (a) the Bulls are split on whether to trade him at all, and (b) if they do, it will likely require a haul similar to what was reported during the draft last summer.  Regarding point (b), I think the rumor was that the Bulls wanted Crowder AND Smart AND 2 Brooklyn picks.

I am completely against this type of trade for reasons I will state, but I will grant you that nobody on this board knows for sure if acquiring Jimmy Butler would make the Celtics competitive with Golden State and Cleveland.  In fact, I will even grant you that a core of IT-Bulter-Horford may be a championship contender.  You correctly criticize those of us who are against this type of trade because we could be very wrong.

Having said that, I am confident that I am not wrong in my opposition towards any deal that would net Butler if the Celtics have to give up any 2 out of the Bradley-Crowder-Smart-Brown group.  The only combo you could possibly talk me into would be Bradley and Brown, since Butler would be an upgrade over AB and Brown isn't playing a huge role on this team right now.  But I struggle mightily to understand how taking 2 top-5 players off the team, and replacing them with Jimmy Butler, makes the team better.

However, if any Brooklyn picks are included on top of 2 players from that group above, including Bradley-Brown, I am even more confident that we as Celtics fans may regret that trade for a very long time. It is one thing to give up Jaylen Brown who is loaded with talent, but might have one or two flaws that never make him an All-NBA player.  It is completely another thing to give him up AND another top-3 pick, when both him and whoever the Celtics draft this summer could very well have NBA careers that far exceed anything Jimmy Butler accomplishes.

I will finally note that if this trade is indeed made and the Celtics do not make it to the NBA Finals, it will be a massive failure on every level.  So yes while we don't know for sure if adding Butler is the final step back to contention, I do know for sure that if he is NOT that player the Celtics could be screwed.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:01:08 PM by mctyson »

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Don't need to trade for anyone...Things are going good...Let it be...

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
As previous stated. There are various reasons not to take him.

- He's ball dominant and not effective off the ball
- He's not a locker room leader
- He would be expensive to acquire
- Getting him could mean our depth is gone.

If he's a free agent or could be acquire less than any of Smart, Brown or the BKN picks, get him. Otherwise, explore much more cheaper and plausible options.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
On the other hand, by every advanced stat he's been a top 10 player this year.  And do his negatives come close to Cousins?

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
On the other hand, by every advanced stat he's been a top 10 player this year.  And do his negatives come close to Cousins?

We should get both Cousins and Butler and go all in.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Forget Butler.
He has a glass elbow.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
To beat the warriors we need Bradley....

I agree with the premise, improve the team with Butler and in the NBA finals anything could happen should we get there. I think AB could be a big part of beating GSW if that matchup should eventuate and packaging him would reduce the impact Butler could have. Butler doesn't close PGs down the way AB does. Smart isn't as consistent scoring. Even off the bench AB would be a great contributor.

AB will keep improving, he has shown this. I would rather have him a Celtic than play against him.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:02 AM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
It's not so much "don't trade for butler" as it is "don't trade the bkn picks".