Poll

Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)

Rogue One
24 (44.4%)
Force Awakens
16 (29.6%)
Disliked them both
3 (5.6%)
Liked them both a good deal
8 (14.8%)
They were both just ok
3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)  (Read 10118 times)

Re: Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I have to disagree with some of the Rogue One supporters.  While I enjoyed Rogue One as a change of pace film in between the main episodes, but I feel the basic problem with it was we already know the outcome.  Since we already know how the narrative fits into the overall universe the film loses suspense for me.  That said, I think Rogue One was a lot better than I expected.  I enjoyed seeing the fully menacing Vader at the end of the movie.  It was very well produced.

While I agree with some of the criticism of The Force Awakens, it was a re-hash to a certain point.  (I wish they would just completely shelve the super weapon idea and never use it again.)  But to me it did contain that magic / mystery that made star wars so interesting in the first  place, so I would say I prefer it over Rogue One.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I have to disagree with some of the Rogue One supporters.  While I enjoyed Rogue One as a change of pace film in between the main episodes, but I feel the basic problem with it was we already know the outcome.  Since we already know how the narrative fits into the overall universe the film loses suspense for me.  That said, I think Rogue One was a lot better than I expected.  I enjoyed seeing the fully menacing Vader at the end of the movie.  It was very well produced.

While I agree with some of the criticism of The Force Awakens, it was a re-hash to a certain point.  (I wish they would just completely shelve the super weapon idea and never use it again.)  But to me it did contain that magic / mystery that made star wars so interesting in the first  place, so I would say I prefer it over Rogue One.
That was far and away the best part of Rogue One and likely the only part I'll remember about that movie which was, as you said, fun and well put together but that's about all.

The Force Awakens had problems as well but as a reboot to the franchise, I think it reestablished the world and moved things along in interesting ways and with a bit more polish than Rogue One did.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Force Awakens was OK, but was slightly incoherent. So apparently the Imperials are fighting the  New Republic and the"resistance." But who is winning? What is the political situation? And why does the resistance seem so decrepit and underfunded?

I'm not convinced the writers know the answers to those questions (much like Abrams' TV series, "Lost.")

Abrams throws a lot of interesting visuals on-screen - which is his strength - but there's not a lot underneath. He requires COMPLETE suspension of disbelief. He wrote "Armageddon" lol. And I have yet to find anyone who can explain the nonsensical plot of "Star Trek Into Darkness" without cheating and looking it up. The "plot" in his movies is usually just a device to set up the next insane action scene. I find it jarring and obvious. This one was better than most of his other work, but it certainly was not great.

Rogue One OTOH was crisp, clean, focused. It tied into the original films in ways I hadn't thought possible, while introducing plenty of interesting new characters and scenery.

The best thing about it was that it showed how nightmarish life under the Empire would be. The Imperials are arguably worse than they've ever been, and it shows why even the most jaded individuals could be coaxed into giving their lives up to fight them.

The squabbling, cruelty, and petty thuggery among the Imperial officers was disturbingly realistic, the sort of thing you hear about in real-life dictatorships.

Really terrific stuff. I liked Force Awakens, but really Rogue One is just a better film in almost every area.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
The force awakens was a terrible film.

TP
I like J.J. Abrams set direction, style and feel . . . but man, the casting and story was all kinds of wrong

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Rogue One. 

Force Awakens was a New Hope rehash.  Also didn't like how they dealt with Han. 

Thought Rogue One was extremely well done & more entertaining. 

High hopes for Episode VIII, though.  I think Rian Johnson is gonna do a good job.

Man, I hope you're right about Johnson

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I like The Force Awakens more because it's a continuation of the original storyline, and I was very eager to learn what all the major players had been up to since Return of the Jedi.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Force Awakens was OK, but was slightly incoherent. So apparently the Imperials are fighting the  New Republic and the"resistance." But who is winning? What is the political situation? And why does the resistance seem so decrepit and underfunded?

I'm not convinced the writers know the answers to those questions (much like Abrams' TV series, "Lost.")

Abrams throws a lot of interesting visuals on-screen - which is his strength - but there's not a lot underneath. He requires COMPLETE suspension of disbelief. He wrote "Armageddon" lol. And I have yet to find anyone who can explain the nonsensical plot of "Star Trek Into Darkness" without cheating and looking it up. The "plot" in his movies is usually just a device to set up the next insane action scene. I find it jarring and obvious. This one was better than most of his other work, but it certainly was not great.

Rogue One OTOH was crisp, clean, focused. It tied into the original films in ways I hadn't thought possible, while introducing plenty of interesting new characters and scenery.

The best thing about it was that it showed how nightmarish life under the Empire would be. The Imperials are arguably worse than they've ever been, and it shows why even the most jaded individuals could be coaxed into giving their lives up to fight them.

The squabbling, cruelty, and petty thuggery among the Imperial officers was disturbingly realistic, the sort of thing you hear about in real-life dictatorships.

Really terrific stuff. I liked Force Awakens, but really Rogue One is just a better film in almost every area.

Awesome review Kraid, and I agree with every point. TP
I'd be curious to know your thoughts on Cloverfield.  Wasn't that an Abrams movie as well?
I really liked that movie. 

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
I like The Force Awakens more because it's a continuation of the original storyline, and I was very eager to learn what all the major players had been up to since Return of the Jedi.

Hmm
Interesting take.
The movie had a lot of potential, that's for sure.
I think, ultimately, what made me not like it was Kylo Ren.
He just wasn't scary. At all.
I was hoping they would do more with Captain Phasma....she seemed quite interesting  ;)

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Rogue One was a good stand alone film but the whole third act made zero sense in the story line.  It doesn't work with A New Hope.  How can the Empire chase down Lea's ship in Hyperspace?  How could she claim she didn't have the plans or was on a Diplomatic Mission?   How come Vader was so bad ass at the end but two days later he had that, lets say, less than bad ass fight with Obiwan?  It should have been a spy movie, the big battle at the end made no sense. 

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Rogue One was a good stand alone film but the whole third act made zero sense in the story line.  It doesn't work with A New Hope.  How can the Empire chase down Lea's ship in Hyperspace?  How could she claim she didn't have the plans or was on a Diplomatic Mission?   How come Vader was so bad ass at the end but two days later he had that, lets say, less than bad ass fight with Obiwan?  It should have been a spy movie, the big battle at the end made no sense.

Maybe I need to watch Rogue One again, because I thought the plot melded perfectly with a New Hope.  I really didn't spot any holes in plotline.

As far as Vader being a "badass"
It's much easier for him to have his way with a Diplomatic envoy than it is against a fellow Jedi like Obi Wan, someone who is possibly more skilled than him.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 11:30:19 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Well, in A New Hope, Lea tries to tell Vader that they are on a diplomatic mission.  He was five feet away when her ship took off?  Why would you even try that line??  Why did he never point that out??  He says the plans were beamed aboard the ship yet He was chasing down the guy carrying them.  Lea's ship took off into hyperspace.  How did they track them down and how did they end up in the opening scene? 

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 11:36:49 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Well, in A New Hope, Lea tries to tell Vader that they are on a diplomatic mission.  He was five feet away when her ship took off?  Why would you even try that line??  Why did he never point that out??  He says the plans were beamed aboard the ship yet He was chasing down the guy carrying them.  Lea's ship took off into hyperspace.  How did they track them down and how did they end up in the opening scene?

Guess I gotta watch them back-to-back
Kinda fuzzy on those details
Maybe there is a continuity error

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
the force awakens was a straight out walk out after 40 minutes. too bad i drove to another city with my friends and i couldn't leave them hangin'.
Rouge one, was like a nice 6/10, just not enough.
Force awakens should have never ever happened, the kylo or whatever couldn't wait to show his face, it took 3 episodes for Darth Vader to do so, that girl went from what is a lightsaber to a lightsaber master within seconds, and the best part was when they planed that planet attack:
"We have to blow up that planet station"
"okay let's do it"
"but they have a shield protecting it"
"okay, we will disable the shield first"
"okay, lets do it"
i was laughing at that point...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Casting that GOOBER from the awful show "Girls" was the biggest mistake.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Casting that GOOBER from the awful show "Girls" was the biggest mistake.

No kidding . . . just horrendous casting; not scary or interesting at all.