Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29190 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Butler is a top 10 player.

Maybe. Maybe not. He does put up big numbers... on a mediocre team with no other go to guys.

But, there are far more than 10 guys I'd rather trade for. More like 20-25.
How many of those 20-25 players do we actually have a shot at getting? 

« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Maybe. Maybe not. He does put up big numbers... on a mediocre team with no other go to guys.

The celts can also build a championship via draft and FA that want to come here... Dont need to overpay

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

The celts can also build a championship via draft and FA that want to come here... Dont need to overpay
Ainge overpaid to sign a 30 year old Horford.  He tried to overpay for Winslow but was saved by a really stupid owner.   We just lost out on Cousins.  I don't see us getting anyone this free agency that makes us a championship contender.  The following offseason Thomas, Bradley and Smart are all free agents.  As for building through the draft, there are a number of teams that are already ahead of us in a youth rebuild.  To get a star with 2+ years left on their contract, you are going to have to overpay. 

« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think Ainge realizes there is some pressure on him and the organization, with all this talk about "nets picks". And here, maybe the best player available, Cousins, just got dealt by a flakey organization to NO for peanuts. Turned out Ainge might have gotten him for a fraction of what Butler will cost. But they turned him down for his poisonality.

I don't know. Maybe the players were pleading with him and Stevens to avoid him. I doubt he will work out with Davis in NO. Both these guys hog the ball. He might have worked out in Boston, where there is more of a team play climate--though IT occasionally hogs it--mainly because he has to. They have no other real scoring.

I would have been satisfied the last two years if they just got a rebounder. Even in the draft. I'm still waiting. They'll hit a wall at some point without one.

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

He put up an efficient 20/3/5 on a 50+ win Bulls team that put something of a fright into Lebron 2 years ago. Hes a much better player now.

25/5/6 while absolutely carrying the Bulls. That team is awful aside from him.

Also he's been 2nd team all-defense 3 years running. Hes 27 and on an affordable long term contract.

« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Ainge overpaid to sign a 30 year old Horford.  He tried to overpay for Winslow but was saved by a really stupid owner.   We just lost out on Cousins.  I don't see us getting anyone this free agency that makes us a championship contender.  The following offseason Thomas, Bradley and Smart are all free agents.  As for building through the draft, there are a number of teams that are already ahead of us in a youth rebuild.  To get a star with 2+ years left on their contract, you are going to have to overpay.

If you forgot we are bound to grab a top 3 pick for the upcomimg draft (nice depth)

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Why don't people think Butler is a volume scoerer? Can he even play on an offense that swings the ball around? I've never seen him guard someone all star players successfully, so his D imo is overrated, especially now since he barely plays any. I mean he plays in the post, the least efficient way to score in this era of basketball. He's not good at catching and shooting like George would be.

The main thing is he's not better than Cousins, and we need a center. So I can't see how people wouldnt' think trading a bunch of assets for Butler is worth it. Besides he's a bad leader. Much rather take the gamble on Cousins. Butler can continue to hang out with Mark Wahlberg in Chicago, no thanks.

« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

Time is running out on Ainge. It's been almost 10 years since the last Championship. Celtics teams traditionally win more often, unless they have management problems. He risks becoming a problem if he gambles on those nets picks becoming Michael Jordan or Lebron James. And letting his current team expire to free agency and age.

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

If you forgot we are bound to grab a top 3 pick for the upcomimg draft (nice depth)

And who will that be? Most likely, some 19yo kid who needs 3 years to develop.

« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

And who will that be? Most likely, some 19yo kid who needs 3 years to develop.

Didnt they say the same about Brown?

Fultz, Jackson or Smith Jr. Will likely contribute sooner than later

« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Woj is great at predicting trades 30 mins before they are officially announced.

Beyond that, I trust his opinion as much as that of any other person who follows the NBA closely.

No wait, I trust BitterJim and saltlover more.

« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I am kind of torn. because we kind of can have our cake and eat it too..top 3 pick while being #2 in the east and go to the Eastern finals (hopefully)

BUT on the other hand, not trading our top 3 pick is the hope that we can get someone who scores 20+ a night and is a star.

we already have one in Isaiah Thomas who is #2 in the league in scoring....and with Butler could be getting another player who we know can do the same. while still having likely a top 3 pick next year as well.

« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why don't people think Butler is a volume scoerer? Can he even play on an offense that swings the ball around? I've never seen him guard someone all star players successfully, so his D imo is overrated, especially now since he barely plays any.

If Ainge thinks he is that guy, forgive me if I trust his judgement over a guy's who wants us to tank.

« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Why don't people think Butler is a volume scoerer? Can he even play on an offense that swings the ball around? I've never seen him guard someone all star players successfully, so his D imo is overrated, especially now since he barely plays any. I mean he plays in the post, the least efficient way to score in this era of basketball. He's not good at catching and shooting like George would be.

The main thing is he's not better than Cousins, and we need a center. So I can't see how people wouldnt' think trading a bunch of assets for Butler is worth it. Besides he's a bad leader. Much rather take the gamble on Cousins. Butler can continue to hang out with Mark Wahlberg in Chicago, no thanks.
The last time Butler was on a good team he scored an efficient 20 points a game and shot 39% on threes.

Since then he has been carrying a very very bad Bulls team to .500 records. He is not a superstar, but he is a top 10-15 guy. He completely shut down Derozan last week and he clearly bothered Isaiah Thomas down the stretch against us. Thats 2 of the best scorers in the East in the past week. Not too mention that he was easily his teams best player in 2 wins over the 2nd and 5th teams in the East.

His on/off splits give you an idea of just how amazing hes been
He is + 3.3 on and -10.6 off for a net of + 13.9
Thomas's are
4.0/2.1 for + 1.9
Cousins:
-1.4/-6.0 for + 4.6
Embiid:
3.5/-9.8  for + 13.3
Presumptive MVP Russel Westbrook carries a
3.2/-10.5 for a + 13.7

Jimmy Butler is a stud.

To put that in perspective, the Brooklyn Nets have a -8.2 rating, meaning when Jimmy Butler is not on the floor, the Bulls have been substantially worse than the Brooklyn Nets.

That on/off number may be the best in the entire league. I also checked Harden (who he blows away) and Lebron, who he edges out by .6 and still have yet to find a single player with a better on/off differential than Jimmy Butler.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Time is running out on Ainge. It's been almost 10 years since the last Championship. Celtics teams traditionally win more often, unless they have management problems. He risks becoming a problem if he gambles on those nets picks becoming Michael Jordan or Lebron James. And letting his current team expire to free agency and age.

What's the punch line?