Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29183 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2017, 02:24:44 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
This was a post I made on RealGM after reading the hilarious Jimmy Butler to Boston rumor thread. They are completely dreaming. Every 3rd post in a 10 page thread is 'Both Brooklyn picks and Jaylen or go away because there is no deal'. My response was:

Then there is no deal. You'll get one Nets pick and some other non Brooklyn firsts. No Jaylen, no 'both' Brooklyn picks.
This isn't what I would give up. This is what Danny Ainge is like.

The Celtics won't mortgage their future and give up all these amazing picks and Jaylen Brown to give themselves a 15% chance of beating Golden State when we can wait around and have good shots at getting free agents while the Nets tank for us.
If Jimmy was Kevin Durant then both picks and Brown would be discussed. But Jimmy is not Durant, he's an upgrade over Bradley but not an upgrade worth 2 Brooklyn picks or a BRK pick and Jaylen Brown.
We are literally in two eras right now. We have a solid team with room for a max free agent and could potentially get to the ECF. We also have three top 5 picks in a row. We don't need to give up that future for an upgrade at SG where we already have a very, very good player in Bradley.

Honestly I think this trade hinges on how desperate/scared Garpax are about losing their jobs and the extra time they will get to keep their jobs if they trade Butler away and rebuild.

I like the Bulls, and it's not the easiest thing to hear, but if this trade happens, you guys are going to be seriously disappointed, because there is literally zero chance of getting all that.

The Bulls fans that are planning the 'fire garpax' rally at the United Center on the TNT game aren't going to help your cause either...
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/244960/How-The-Political-Climate-Impacts-Perception-Of-Knicks-Bulls

Great post, and I completely agree. Any chance we could get Butler for the 2018 Brooklyn pick, AB and filler? In a way, hasn't the Cousins trade lowered the bar for us in terms of what we need to give?

I think its raised the price. No other superstar available before the deadline. All eyes turn to Butler.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of us being able to say that Cousins is at least as good of a player as Butler (and arguably better), and the Kings didn't get a ton in return for him. But like you said, especially if Paul George isn't available, then we do lose some leverage in terms of having other trade options. On the other hand, we do have the perfectly reasonable option of just not making any moves, and I think/hope Ainge would be fine with that if Chicago's asking price is too high.
I don't see any team being a butler away from being an instant contender and having at least ok assets aside from Boston. The price is going to fall real low after this. Should be a good silver lining from this trade. I'd be ecstatic with Amir+Young+Rozier+Memphis 1st+ 18 Bos 1st+numerous 2nds for butler. We would need to get a replacement big though. My ideal replacement would be Willy Hernangomez from the knicks, which should probably cost a package like Mickey+Yabu+LAC pick+ a couple of 2nds

I think everyone on this blog would be ecstatic if that's all we had to give up in exchange for Butler. That'd move us even closer to being a contender (still probably not all the way there) while still retaining the best trade assets in the league. An indirect benefit would be that we'd likely appear that much more attractive to free agents this summer, as they may see themselves as the piece that puts us over the top.

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2017, 02:30:21 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
One thing is certain- Woj is legit. Woj reporting that Cousins was being shopped, and that a transaction has been made just an hour ago.

Still unbelievable. There's a possibility that either Butler or George will become a Celtic this week.

Is Woj saying George is a possibility? I get the Butler rumor, but I wouldn't overpay for him. I'm intrigued by PG though.
Neither of them will become Celtics. Ainge will puss out.

Rather hang onto Superstar Crowder or Future MVP Rozier.

I haven't seen many here say that their breaking point is if Crowder or Rozier is included. Seems like people are much more reluctant to give up the Nets '17 pick, Nets '18 pick and Jalen Brown.
And I am too. While I don't wanna mortgage the future for a chance to lose in the finals the next 3 years I'm just getting sick of Ainge sitting around promising fireworks while other teams actually do things.

So you'd rather go back with the Pitino years and his short-sighted moves?

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:52 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
One thing is certain- Woj is legit. Woj reporting that Cousins was being shopped, and that a transaction has been made just an hour ago.

Still unbelievable. There's a possibility that either Butler or George will become a Celtic this week.

Is Woj saying George is a possibility? I get the Butler rumor, but I wouldn't overpay for him. I'm intrigued by PG though.

I haven't seen many here say that their breaking point is if Crowder or Rozier is included. Seems like people are much more reluctant to give up the Nets '17 pick, Nets '18 pick and Jalen Brown.
And I am too. While I don't wanna mortgage the future for a chance to lose in the finals the next 3 years I'm just getting sick of Ainge sitting around promising fireworks while other teams actually do things.

No, I just happen to think Boogie was a generational talent and that if we could have gotten him for the price NO paid it's something we had to do. I'm probably not thinking rationally right now but he's been one of my favorite guys in the league and locker room issues aside would fit this team like a glove. Ainge should have pulled the trigger.

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2017, 02:36:16 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

No, I just happen to think Boogie was a generational talent and that if we could have gotten him for the price NO paid it's something we had to do. I'm probably not thinking rationally right now but he's been one of my favorite guys in the league and locker room issues aside would fit this team like a glove. Ainge should have pulled the trigger. I was all for building a dynasty through the BKN picks and our current core because I thought trading for Boogie would mean gutting the team, but after seeing what NO got him for I'm a bit upset.
And for the record while I have been in favor of the patient long term rebuild I'm not entirely confident in Ainge's drafting. While I am super high on Brown I'm not entirely convinced Ainge is gonna avoid drafting more non-shooting, non-scoring "character guys".

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44:32 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

No, I just happen to think Boogie was a generational talent and that if we could have gotten him for the price NO paid it's something we had to do. I'm probably not thinking rationally right now but he's been one of my favorite guys in the league and locker room issues aside would fit this team like a glove. Ainge should have pulled the trigger. I was all for building a dynasty through the BKN picks and our current core because I thought trading for Boogie would mean gutting the team, but after seeing what NO got him for I'm a bit upset.
And for the record while I have been in favor of the patient long term rebuild I'm not entirely confident in Ainge's drafting. While I am super high on Brown I'm not entirely convinced Ainge is gonna avoid drafting more non-shooting, non-scoring "character guys".

Agreed. Drafting Olynk instead Giannis definetly worked out well, right?.....

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2017, 02:48:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This was a post I made on RealGM after reading the hilarious Jimmy Butler to Boston rumor thread. They are completely dreaming. Every 3rd post in a 10 page thread is 'Both Brooklyn picks and Jaylen or go away because there is no deal'. My response was:

Then there is no deal. You'll get one Nets pick and some other non Brooklyn firsts. No Jaylen, no 'both' Brooklyn picks.
This isn't what I would give up. This is what Danny Ainge is like.

The Celtics won't mortgage their future and give up all these amazing picks and Jaylen Brown to give themselves a 15% chance of beating Golden State when we can wait around and have good shots at getting free agents while the Nets tank for us.
If Jimmy was Kevin Durant then both picks and Brown would be discussed. But Jimmy is not Durant, he's an upgrade over Bradley but not an upgrade worth 2 Brooklyn picks or a BRK pick and Jaylen Brown.
We are literally in two eras right now. We have a solid team with room for a max free agent and could potentially get to the ECF. We also have three top 5 picks in a row. We don't need to give up that future for an upgrade at SG where we already have a very, very good player in Bradley.

Honestly I think this trade hinges on how desperate/scared Garpax are about losing their jobs and the extra time they will get to keep their jobs if they trade Butler away and rebuild.

I like the Bulls, and it's not the easiest thing to hear, but if this trade happens, you guys are going to be seriously disappointed, because there is literally zero chance of getting all that.

The Bulls fans that are planning the 'fire garpax' rally at the United Center on the TNT game aren't going to help your cause either...
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/244960/How-The-Political-Climate-Impacts-Perception-Of-Knicks-Bulls

Great post, and I completely agree. Any chance we could get Butler for the 2018 Brooklyn pick, AB and filler? In a way, hasn't the Cousins trade lowered the bar for us in terms of what we need to give?

I think its raised the price. No other superstar available before the deadline. All eyes turn to Butler.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of us being able to say that Cousins is at least as good of a player as Butler (and arguably better), and the Kings didn't get a ton in return for him. But like you said, especially if Paul George isn't available, then we do lose some leverage in terms of having other trade options. On the other hand, we do have the perfectly reasonable option of just not making any moves, and I think/hope Ainge would be fine with that if Chicago's asking price is too high.
I don't see any team being a butler away from being an instant contender and having at least ok assets aside from Boston. The price is going to fall real low after this. Should be a good silver lining from this trade. I'd be ecstatic with Amir+Young+Rozier+Memphis 1st+ 18 Bos 1st+numerous 2nds for butler. We would need to get a replacement big though. My ideal replacement would be Willy Hernangomez from the knicks, which should probably cost a package like Mickey+Yabu+LAC pick+ a couple of 2nds

I think everyone on this blog would be ecstatic if that's all we had to give up in exchange for Butler. That'd move us even closer to being a contender (still probably not all the way there) while still retaining the best trade assets in the league. An indirect benefit would be that we'd likely appear that much more attractive to free agents this summer, as they may see themselves as the piece that puts us over the top.
And honestly if we are to take into account the package it took for cousins and extrapolate it into butler that is around fair value. This trade really made the price for stars ridiculously low. I still think we should make a strong offer to new york for Carmelo+hernangomez/O'quinn instead of trading for butler though
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2017, 05:25:49 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Despite everyone saying that this brings down the value of superstars clearly doesn't understand how terrible the front office of the Kings is.

Chicago won't give up Butler for a rag tag team of replacements. Even though Cousins was a dynamic player he had off court issues to go with a dysfunctional franchise.

You Celtics fans better get ready to have another quiet deadline and summer.

Don't think we are getting fireworks any time soon

It will be tons of fun to have an aging IT/Horford and only the possibility of a top pick to bring us out of being a perennial middle of the road team

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Truly love the over the top and reactionary comments in this thread. It's given me a nice chuckle to start off my morning today.

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2017, 07:34:41 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Butler is a top 10 player. essentially you are giving up a "potential" top 10 player who cann score 25points a game. for one who already is a top 10 player

a team of thomas/butler/crowder/horford could go toe to toe with Cleveland. and right now without love it could put them over the top now.  the question is does it put them over the top year in and year out and against the warriors in a potential finals.

im not too sure. but then again anything can happen

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny offers a package including Crowder, Rozier, Young, Yabu or Zizic plus all 2017 2nds, 2018 nets 1st for Butler

But not much more ... I wonder if the bulls would bite

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
We'll be forgetting about this once this team or Danny makes a splash. If you think this team has already peaked, you are in denial. Which team have leaped from lottery to a 50 win team in the last 5 years?

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Butler is a top 10 player.

Maybe. Maybe not. He does put up big numbers... on a mediocre team with no other go to guys.

But, there are far more than 10 guys I'd rather trade for. More like 20-25.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Butler is a top 10 player. essentially you are giving up a "potential" top 10 player who cann score 25points a game. for one who already is a top 10 player

a team of thomas/butler/crowder/horford could go toe to toe with Cleveland. and right now without love it could put them over the top now.  the question is does it put them over the top year in and year out and against the warriors in a potential finals.

He's top 10 all of a sudden?? Jeez what is going on here?

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He's top 10 all of a sudden?? Jeez what is going on here?

Exactly

Bulls are not doing well this season. Butler is a part of it

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don't know about this top 10 talk but Butler being named an all star shows he's definitely top 20. With weight from the players and media being given to the starters, being an all star starter is more than just a popularity contest this year.
- LilRip