Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29221 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I like Butler but I think Paul George moves the needle a bit more for us.

Whatever moves we make I trust Danny and Brad.

Absolutely. George is a much better shooter, which means he can play off the ball and space the floor better.

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
For the asking price NO!!!!

2017 BKN pick, Zeller, Young then maybe  --  that's all. 

It's not like JButtler put us over GS anyways....and I could argue Smart would win you as many games as would JButtler in a year or so.....and I am not just talking about points, but all those other little things Smart does to win a game.

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I like Butler but I think Paul George moves the needle a bit more for us.

Whatever moves we make I trust Danny and Brad.

Absolutely. George is a much better shooter, which means he can play off the ball and space the floor better.

Agreed.  Now, if we could get PGeorge without giving our team.....as part of the trade.

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
If Chicago is trading Butler, they are going for a rebuild.  If you are going for a rebuild, what would they want with Crowder or Bradley?  Those are the kind of players that keep you from completely sucking and cost you draft position.

Mike
I agree.  Seems obviously they would want Smart and/or Brown plus the BKN pick and then filler. 

and if they are rebuilding they don't need Gibson, so I would do something like this

Chicago - Brown, Rozier, Zeller, Johnson, BKN 17, BOS 18 (lotto protected)
Boston - Butler, Gibson, Canaan

So post trade 1 open spot
PG - Thomas, Canaan, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Smart, Young
SF - Butler, Crowder, Green
PF - Gibson, Jerebko, Mickey
C - Horford, Olynyk

Playoff rotation would be something like the top 8 i.e. Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Butler, Crowder, Gibson, Horford, and Olynyk

Boston needs to hang on the the Brooklyn '17 pick.

Last year didn't they want, Bradley, Crowder and our pick which turned into Jaylen Brown?
Why not reboot that trade. Zeller and Gibson and one of our overseas assets are negotiable.

Butler may not move the needle to put us over the top.  But if we hold onto the  Brooklyn picks, it might allow us to turn another  Draft Day  into Xmas!

I'd only move Brooklyn picks  for a handful of players.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Also - If we're going to have to give up the farm to get PG13 Indy had better be sending Myles Turner our way as well.

And we'd need to keep IT4, Big Al, Jae and Marcus going forward.

I love our team as is but I trust Danny with ANY "BIG" trades.

Our last "BIG" trade netted us Banner 17. It gutted our team but Danny Ainge made it work with who he brought in afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Also - If we're going to have to give up the farm to get PG13 Indy had better be sending Myles Turner our way as well.

And we'd need to keep IT4, Big Al, Jae and Marcus going forward.

I love our team as is but I trust Danny with ANY "BIG" trades.

Our last "BIG" trade netted us Banner 17. It gutted our team but Danny Ainge made it work with who he brought in afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

You're 2 cents looks pretty accurate to me.

I wouldn't underestimate money as a factor in any trade for a major player or FA signing. Money is a big factor for GMs, who are beholden to owners. Probably an incentive to trade for Butler. The next max FA contracts will be $30M+ per year.

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This notion that Jimmy Butler is only marginally better than Bradley is ludicrous. Jimmy Butler is a top 15 player in this league. He has legit SG/SF size, plays good defense, and can create his own shot. I love Bradley but Butler is a superior player.

As far as cost goes, you are going to have the give up assets to get a top 15 player signed on a very team friendly. Only untraceable players in my eyes are IT and Horford and maybe Smart. Everyone else and picks are fair game.

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Recent Kyler tweet:
Its not really new information [i.e., Woj/Mannix video]. Everyone belives "if" Bulls decide to move Butler, Celtics would be the team. Bulls haven't shown interest.

I'd be surprised if CHI blows it up (they should, but playoffs and maximizing profit are their main goals [think Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins]). If they were to blow it up, they'd want to move a long term contract like Lopez rather than Taj Gibson who expires anyways.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:27:46 AM by colincb »

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Recent Kyler tweet:
Its not really new information [i.e., Woj/Mannix video]. Everyone belives "if" Bulls decide to move Butler, Celtics would be the team. Bulls haven't shown interest.

I'd be surprised if CHI blows it up (they should, but playoffs and maximizing profit are their main goal [think Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins]). If they were to blow it up, they'd want to move a long term contract like Lopez rather than Taj Gibson who expires anyways.

Five days ago, Lopez and McDermott were supposedly on the trade block, so who knows.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chicago-bulls-exploring-trade-market/

That Chicago front office is so whacked out, who knows what they'll do?

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Recent Kyler tweet:

I'd be surprised if CHI blows it up (they should, but playoffs and maximizing profit are their main goal [think Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins]). If they were to blow it up, they'd want to move a long term contract like Lopez rather than Taj Gibson who expires anyways.

Five days ago, Lopez and McDermott were supposedly on the trade block, so who knows.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chicago-bulls-exploring-trade-market/

That Chicago front office is so whacked out, who knows what they'll do?

If they're tanking (which I doubt), it makes a lot more sense to trade Lopez whose contract runs two more years than Gibson who would leave in free agency next summer. The Bulls would likely want an even number of players going back and forth too, rather than buy out salaries. The Bulls have always been one of the more profitable NBA franchises and they watch their expenses closely.

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I wouldn't do it.

Get healthy. Go through the playoffs and see where we stand against the rest of the EC. If we bow out prematurely, make the pick. If we go toe to toe with CLE and fall just short, I move the pick.

I like the guys we have. Bradley. Smart. Brown. Crowder. Rozier. They are defensive-minded players who can win, all young guys still improving. Draft an elite offensive guy like Fultz, Ball, or Jackson to take the scoring load off IT4 and sign a competent rebounder and let Brad get to work.

Only Cousins, Davis, or George would I give up multiple great assets for, and I doubt  any of them are actually available.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What happened to Woj

He is starting to sound like...

Just report real news

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
And I doubt Butler will be traded to the Celts

It will take alot to get him

Is danny ready to part ways with Smart/Crowder, Brown and 2017 1st?

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
If you have an opportunity to add a top 12 player you make the trade. The draft is a crapshoot. You have to take the proven player, especially one as young as Butler. I don't want to give up both pick and not brown but absolutely I'd trade either pick and bradley and whatever bench filler required.

I just don't get why Butler is so underrated on this forum. You do something like Bradley, Zeller, Rozier, Brooklyn 2017 for Butler+Gibson/Lopez and that's an instant contender. I don't see how that team doesn't go toe to toe with any team in the league.

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
WOJ doesn't think the Cs give up the 2017 pick and that suits me just fine.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner