Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29062 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Chicago is trading Butler, they are going for a rebuild.  If you are going for a rebuild, what would they want with Crowder or Bradley?  Those are the kind of players that keep you from completely sucking and cost you draft position.

Mike
I agree.  Seems obviously they would want Smart and/or Brown plus the BKN pick and then filler. 

and if they are rebuilding they don't need Gibson, so I would do something like this

Chicago - Brown, Rozier, Zeller, Johnson, BKN 17, BOS 18 (lotto protected)
Boston - Butler, Gibson, Canaan

So post trade 1 open spot
PG - Thomas, Canaan, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Smart, Young
SF - Butler, Crowder, Green
PF - Gibson, Jerebko, Mickey
C - Horford, Olynyk

Playoff rotation would be something like the top 8 i.e. Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Butler, Crowder, Gibson, Horford, and Olynyk
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I believe that Ainge would be prepared to give up the Nets pick in 2018 plus Brown to get Butler. But not a great deal more, and not this year's Nets pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Most id do is Brown, Bradley, 2017 BKN 1st, zeller, and MAYBE another non brooklyn first. Adding anymore players makes us worse overall

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Most id do is Brown, Bradley, 2017 BKN 1st, zeller, and MAYBE another non brooklyn first. Adding anymore players makes us worse overall

Way, way, way, way too much. Folks please reference recent trades in terms before throwing out these ridonculously lopsided trades in favor of not our team.

2 lottery picks and a borderline all star for a marginally better player in Jimmy Butler is absurdity. And then to top it off you casually throw another Brooklyn pick (you do realize that this pick is almost guaranteed to be a high lottery pick).

Bananaland!!

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 09:28:58 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I know the Celtics need to improve to compete with the likes of Golden State and San Antonio, but I have never been a fan of emptying the cupboard for Jimmy Butler. 

I think we have a real shot at Gordon Hayward and we could add him without giving up any assets.  Draft a player with the Brooklyn pick this year and use the remaining assets to go after someone else.

Easier said than done, but I think it is a real possibility.

If we do trade for someone like Butler I would like to include Bradley in the deal.  I like AB a LOT, but I think he is the odd man out come contract time.

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Rozier, Bradley, BKN 17, Amir Johnson for Butler and Taj Gibson.

That'd be my offer.

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
So now that I've criticized your suggestion let me make my suggestion:

We either don't do the trade at all because leverage seems to be on Chicagos side.

Or

I could get around a trade of Terry Rozier, Amir Johnson, Brooklyn 2017, James Young and Memphis Pick.

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Sorry, why do the Bulls want Bradley??? If they do deal surely they blow it up.

Also, wonder what it means for Wade if he moves. Cleveland?

Pretty sure the deal would be Nets 17, Brown, Zizic, Young, zeller. Just based on their rebuild timeframe
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Sorry, why do the Bulls want Bradley??? If they do deal surely they blow it up.

Also, wonder what it means for Wade if he moves. Cleveland?

Pretty sure the deal would be Nets 17, Brown, Zizic, Young, zeller. Just based on their rebuild timeframe

I don't think the Bulls would have interest in Bradley, but I suggested including him if we did a trade for someone LIKE Butler.  In other words, any big name all star player as it would help match salary and help us avoid the contract discussions further down the line.

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Please let's stop with a trade of Bradley, BKN pick (and much more in some proposals) as a deadline deal. I like (don't love) Butler, but why the heck would we make a deal for him now before at least trying to go after Hayward or Griffin? Each of whom I consider easily as good as Butler.

If we were talking Davis/Durant/Kawhi - you know somebody who could make a real difference this year - then sure, but we actually have max cap space this offseason, let's try to use it before getting f'd by Chicago. A deal for Butler needs to wait until the summer.

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Please let's stop with a trade of Bradley, BKN pick (and much more in some proposals) as a deadline deal. I like (don't love) Butler, but why the heck would we make a deal for him now before at least trying to go after Hayward or Griffin? Each of whom I consider easily as good as Butler.

If we were talking Davis/Durant/Kawhi - you know somebody who could make a real difference this year - then sure, but we actually have max cap space this offseason, let's try to use it before getting f'd by Chicago. A deal for Butler needs to wait until the summer.

TP. Totally agree and to add like some other posters said, he (Butler) does not push the needle in my opinion to championship status and the cost to acquire him via trade is too steep for only a marginal return by going one round deeper in the playoffs. Unless the player acquired puts the Celtics in championship talks, I am hestitant to trade the BKN picks AND some of the core players for a player that is not does not put you over the top.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Way, way, way, way too much. Folks please reference recent trades in terms before throwing out these ridonculously lopsided trades in favor of not our team.

2 lottery picks and a borderline all star for a marginally better player in Jimmy Butler is absurdity. And then to top it off you casually throw another Brooklyn pick (you do realize that this pick is almost guaranteed to be a high lottery pick).

Bananaland!!

The scenario I posted is actually less than what was rumored and reported (by muliple sources) to be the asking price of the Bulls last year. If you think we are getting Jimmy Butler for for anything less than at least one of the 2017/18 BKLN picks and a player like Crowder/Avery. I'm not the crazy one, its you. Avery has no long term future in Boston. We are not resigning him to the 20+m contract he will want, and our continued success without him proves we can survive with Smart in the backcourt over him.

The 2017 BKLN pick is still an unknown, it is less valuable today than it would be once the lottery is decided. As of now any team you are trading with has to assume its the 4th pick in the draft since that is the worst case scenario and most likely landing spot.

Jimmy Butler is a great two way player and a top 15 player in the league. If you want him you'll have to pay.

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
A big incentive to trade for Butler is his favorable contract:

He signed for 5/$92M in 15-16 with a $4.6M bonus. Avg annual salary of $18.5M. His cap hits next 3 years are $18.7M, $19.8M and $19.8M. He becomes a UFA in 2020.

He comes a lot cheaper than any top FA this summer, and maybe cheaper than Bradley's next contract. 

I'm sure this is a major reason why Danny wants to deal for him. His contract is gold.

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
The rumored trade is posturing from Chicago and there's a reason why that trade didn't happen.

Bananaland!!

The scenario I posted is actually less than what was rumored and reported (by muliple sources) to be the asking price of the Bulls last year. If you think we are getting Jimmy Butler for for anything less than at least one of the 2017/18 BKLN picks and a player like Crowder/Avery. I'm not the crazy one, its you. Avery has no long term future in Boston. We are not resigning him to the 20+m contract he will want, and our continued success without him proves we can survive with Smart in the backcourt over him.

The 2017 BKLN pick is still an unknown, it is less valuable today than it would be once the lottery is decided. As of now any team you are trading with has to assume its the 4th pick in the draft since that is the worst case scenario and most likely landing spot.

Jimmy Butler is a great two way player and a top 15 player in the league. If you want him you'll have to pay.

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I like Butler but I think Paul George moves the needle a bit more for us.

Whatever moves we make I trust Danny and Brad.