Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29217 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 01:53:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think It's 2018 BRK, 2018 Boston, Bradley and Zeller. maybe Gershon or Zizic thrown in.
That should do it IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 02:05:16 AM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think It's 2018 BRK, 2018 Boston, Bradley and Zeller. maybe Gershon or Zizic thrown in.
That should do it IMO.

that's a lot...but i think that's about right! you gotta give to get...

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 02:11:42 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
That should do it IMO.

that's a lot...but i think that's about right! you gotta give to get...

I mean I don't care about Gershon or Zizic. I don't even know if they'll be NBA ready should they return. BRK 2018, BOS 2018, Bradley and Zeller should make sense, for a superstar caliber player like Jimmy Butler.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 02:27:29 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
NO. STOP. Patience Danny!

Try again in the summer, but now???

Their asking price is something like 2017 Brooklyn Pick, Zeller (salary), then 3 of the following: Smart, Brown, Crowder, 2018 Nets Pick, Bradley

That's A LOT.

If their price was, on Draft Day last June (as KC Johnson - Reliable Bulls Reporter - reported) Smart, Crowder, 2016 and 2017 BKN picks + salary + another asset, it's probably still somewhat expensive.

I'm interested in seeing how it goes with Paul George. He might want out now too.

But if Chicago deal Butler it's because they've officially hit the reset button but it doesn't seem like they want to (they are a 7 seed in the East). Plus Butler appeared on First Take and from the interviews he seemed confident he was staying in Chicago.

If the Bulls are smart, they'll want BOTH Brooklyn picks, Zeller, Smart, and Bradley. Essentially the Celtics surrender a player from the top 6 draft pick (first rounder), two projected top 3 draft picks (first rounders), a salary player, and a guy who can play lights out defense and scoring.

All for Jimmy Butler. Is he the next prime Kobe Bryant or what lol. This must be the definition of a "Godfather" offer.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 02:43:05 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bradley, Nets 17, Zeller is as far as we should go. We'd still have 2 Nets picks to build around long term so the future is very much alive but we'd have a competitive team for the now as well. Butler would play SG, it would be much like the stretch Jaylen played there but with a more experienced guy.

I'm more willing to deal the 17 pick than the 18 given the value I think we can get back. The 18 will be a lot more valuable next year, the 17 pick is peaking right now.

I don't think Butler takes us to a championship this year, possibly in a few years, so Ainge has to be confident that he can make another move or have enough space to sign a top FA this summer still.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 03:02:45 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Bulls shoot for playoffs, not championships and they have a decent shot at the playoffs as is. OTOH, it's transparent that they're stuck in mediocrity. So I think they need a way to give themselves hope AND blow up the mess they have now. IOW, they need a bigger deal to tank harder or they'll kick it down the road like after next season when Wade and Rondo come off the books.

I'll leave it to you guys to figure out something that's a win-win deal given the aims of both organizations, but I'm heading off for some shuteye. BTW, after watching Fultz tonight, I'm not married to the 2017 BKN pick, especially since this draft is light on bigs.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 06:16:56 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
I wouldn't give up the future that makes OUR NOW a little more entertaining.We ARE NOT beating GS even with Butler. No thanks. I'd rather keep our future even if it doesn't pan out exactly the way we want it to. It would be kind of like - shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic to look good, but it's still going down.  Besides,  JB COULD BE Butler in a couple of years. I'd rather do it JUST LIKE GS did it, THROUGH THE DRAFT.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Butler is not worth two BRK picks and a starting player. That's just screams desperation.

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Butler is not worth two BRK picks and a starting player. That's just screams desperation.

Completely agree.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:16 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
i'd give up crowder and bradley before brown....

I wouldn't give up any of these players.  I need to understand the rationale as to how substituting Butler for Bradley (or Butler for Crowder) in the Celtics starting 5 suddenly puts them on GSW level. 

I quite frankly don't care about CLE. There is no point mortgaging the future if you are not competitive for the NBA Championship.  They need to get better than GSW and SA, not just CLE.

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:29 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I would include any 3 of the following assets for Butler: Smart, Crowder, Bradley, Brown, 2017 first + filler.

None of those assets can do more than Butler currently can. Butler is on a pretty good contract, and his ability to hit the mid-range and get to the free throw line could really help out IT with the scoring load. His ability to guard SF's is also very necessary.

I was against a deal for Butler at first, but you got to give value to get it. You know you've made a good deal when both parties leave feeling cheated.

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Looks as if its they same report as we have been hearing, half the front office like the idea of moving Butler the other half don't. I really feel Bulls won't bite without the Nets 2017 though and C's just won't offer it up.

Which is why we need to move one from this silly trade.  If only half of their front office is supportive of a deal, it means they are only supportive of Boston hemorrhaging their future.  The other half clearly wants their to be no future in Boston.

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
My impression from Woj is Bulls don't have a management consensus to deal Butler. Maybe they are waiting for ownership approval.

I agree that Bradley, Zeller and nets17 is a reasonable starting point. Wouldn't go much beyond that.

Butler's lack of 3P shooting ability should be a concern. I don't know how much better he is than Bradley, except he can play the 3.

All things being equal, this is why id prefer george. But id probably prefer fultz/ball/jackson to either as well.

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If Chicago is trading Butler, they are going for a rebuild.  If you are going for a rebuild, what would they want with Crowder or Bradley?  Those are the kind of players that keep you from completely sucking and cost you draft position.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 08:55:22 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Butler does not move the needle to justify the haul Phantom thinks it will take.,

Agreed. I will be very upset if we give away the farm for Butler.