Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29182 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Butler does not move the needle to justify the haul Phantom thinks it will take.,

I've actually said that a lot in most of my posts here lol.

I hope they make a small trade like O'Quinn or Bogut.

Because Butler or PG13 aren't putting us over Cleveland and definitely not Golden State this year.

But I'd try again in the summer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Aren't the Bulls competing for a playoff spot? If they were tanking, I think they might move Butler. They are not tanking. The coach is playing for his career. I don't see Chicago's motivation to trade their most productive player.

They say they will only trade Butler for a "godfather package".

Aka they won't deal him at the deadline I imagine.

Maybe the summer?

SO WOJ IS THE BEST INSIDER...AND YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE? he would not bring it up unless he heard something...

Well I mean that was reported like two days ago so obviously a lot could have changed in the last two days (like Chicago changing their stance).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I am very melancholy about Butler. If Chicago thought he was a superstar quality player why shop him after you move on Rose to appease him? I just don't think he moves the needle enough to give up the package they'd want for him, especially when we could get Hayward for free in the offseason.

Butler doesn't seem like a system guy, he essentially hasn't given Hoiberg a go, as you can see him visibly calling him out or ignoring him on court. He obviously didn't want to make peace with Rose or Noah and wants to be 'the guy'. People bash Cousins but Butler has very similar issues that are just less accentuated.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 11:39:02 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Aren't the Bulls competing for a playoff spot? If they were tanking, I think they might move Butler. They are not tanking. The coach is playing for his career. I don't see Chicago's motivation to trade their most productive player.

They say they will only trade Butler for a "godfather package".

Aka they won't deal him at the deadline I imagine.

Maybe the summer?

SO WOJ IS THE BEST INSIDER...AND YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE? he would not bring it up unless he heard something...

Well I mean that was reported like two days ago so obviously a lot could have changed in the last two days (like Chicago changing their stance).

yeah i understand...but this is WOJ talking...people should just listen...

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:43:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Looks as if its they same report as we have been hearing, half the front office like the idea of moving Butler the other half don't. I really feel Bulls won't bite without the Nets 2017 though and C's just won't offer it up.

Best thing to do is to not trade for Butler and gamble!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Giving up a godfather offer for a nice player in Butler just isnt worth it, Lets break down what we have at steak on our end as maybe sending out for him

2017 Nets pick we all know where this is going to probally end up. Its Danny's best trade chip that we have. Could be Ball Fultz Jackson. However it goes we all know it should take a Godfather off for us to give it up I just feel waiting it out and gambling to see where it lands and see from that point. Lets be honest is anybody really  going to be mad if we get the 2nd pick? I know I wont be.PEople forget we are only in the great spot  we are in with the Nets picks is because Otis Smith former gm of the Magic didn't want to trade Howard for those 3 picks to the Nets before he got traded to the Lakers. So my point is with that 2017 pick is to hold onto it as tight as you can and add to the depth that we already have.

Emptying everything for Butler Both Nets picks,Bradley,Smart,Crowder. Say they want 2 of the 3 players. You going to give up that and those 2 picks thats a haul and a half 4 Horses 2 on value contracts by the way. One amazing Defender in Smart, Bradley was having his best year before he got hurt. Crowder having a decent year could be better.

Free Agent Danny got us Horford last year when nobody thought he could. Reports said we could have landed Durrant had Golden State won the Finals. He most likely will opt out of his contract. Dude doesn't need a max contract has more money than he can spend. Will he get one yes but that doesn't mean we wont have anther shot at him this summer. I think Danny knows he was this close to him and he wants one more shot at him. It4 coming into his own this year stepping up his game taking it to anther level can sway KD. I am not saying we will land him but we got a [dang] good shot at him again.

Wild Card 2018  Nets pick

This maybe the biggest piece of them all knowing the Nets will most likely suck again next year and we will have a shot at a top 5 pick again is insane. This pick maybe even better than the 2017 pick.

To sum it all up Danny has been sitting on this for 2 years waiting for all this to come together. I just don't see how he takes the biggest gamble on Jimmy Butler.

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I am very melancholy about Butler. If Chicago thought he was a superstar quality player why shop him after you move on Rose to appease him? I just don't think he moves the needle enough to give up the package they'd want for him, especially when we could get Hayward for free in the offseason.

Butler doesn't seem like a system guy, he essentially hasn't given Hoiberg a go, as you can see him visibly calling him out or ignoring him on court. He obviously didn't want to make peace with Rose or Noah and wants to be 'the guy'. People bash Cousins but Butler has very similar issues that are just less accentuated.

No one seems to respect Hoiberg, though. Butler was close to Thibs and still speaks highly of him. Thibs even tried to trade for him this previous offseason so he's not the coach killer you're trying to paint him as - certainly not Cousins' level.

Butler isn't the perfect leader by any stretch of the imagination (I prefer Hayward myself), but I don't base anything on Hoiberg. The guy's a sitting duck who's never been able to get a hold of his own locker room. He's the public face of Chicago's dysfunction.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Best thing to do is to not trade for Butler and gamble!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:41 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Why not just post this in the Woj/Butler thread?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26:40 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Why not just post this in the Woj/Butler thread?

Ego.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
i don't think ainge will deal both picks...ainge is not stupid...and butler is not a gamble he is a star that we would have for years to come...ainge will make a package and if the bulls don't take it he will move on..he will not lose out if he make the trade or he don't make the trade...ainge will be talking to more than 1 team as trade talks go so if he can't make the butler trade...move on.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
none of the BKN picks are available for trade.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 12:43:40 AM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
According to several sources here at the NBA’s All-Star Weekend, the Celtics are heavily involved, at least in terms of discussions, on a number of fronts as both a main participant and as a facilitator. As yet, however, there has been nothing truly available that is worthy of their top assets.

“Danny’s let it be known that he’s willing to talk about the Nets’ picks,” said one league executive, referencing the first-rounders owed by Brooklyn this year (in a swap of first-round positions between the Celts and Nets) and next (unencumbered). “But (if) you want one of those guys, you have to be willing to give up a star.”

And, apparently, a star who can’t break free this summer or after a year. Ainge has said he doesn’t want to take on any rentals, and opposing front offices are supporting that statement — with a caveat. The Celts will take a shot on a short-term player if the price is right, but that has not yet been the case. The C’s did investigate the Serge Ibaka situation, but word is they didn’t want to give up a lot when there is no guarantee they’d be willing to meet his price when he becomes a free agent this offseason.

One very large key in the Celtic thinking is the free agent market. It has become clear from sources that the club doesn’t want to make any move that could take away its chances to do business in the summer when all it could cost for a marquee player is cap space.

The belief here is that Ainge would, indeed, pull the trigger on a deal for a player such as Jimmy Butler or Paul George — should either become available — because such a talent would be their de facto free agent signing. But absent that, all indications are that he will continue to work the edges and maintain flexibility. (And it should be noted that Chicago and Indiana would rather build around those players than move them.)

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
yes it is....

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 12:45:11 AM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
According to several sources here at the NBA’s All-Star Weekend, the Celtics are heavily involved, at least in terms of discussions, on a number of fronts as both a main participant and as a facilitator. As yet, however, there has been nothing truly available that is worthy of their top assets.

“Danny’s let it be known that he’s willing to talk about the Nets’ picks,” said one league executive, referencing the first-rounders owed by Brooklyn this year (in a swap of first-round positions between the Celts and Nets) and next (unencumbered). “But (if) you want one of those guys, you have to be willing to give up a star.”

And, apparently, a star who can’t break free this summer or after a year. Ainge has said he doesn’t want to take on any rentals, and opposing front offices are supporting that statement — with a caveat. The Celts will take a shot on a short-term player if the price is right, but that has not yet been the case. The C’s did investigate the Serge Ibaka situation, but word is they didn’t want to give up a lot when there is no guarantee they’d be willing to meet his price when he becomes a free agent this offseason.

One very large key in the Celtic thinking is the free agent market. It has become clear from sources that the club doesn’t want to make any move that could take away its chances to do business in the summer when all it could cost for a marquee player is cap space.

The belief here is that Ainge would, indeed, pull the trigger on a deal for a player such as Jimmy Butler or Paul George — should either become available — because such a talent would be their de facto free agent signing. But absent that, all indications are that he will continue to work the edges and maintain flexibility. (And it should be noted that Chicago and Indiana would rather build around those players than move them.)

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the C's deal the '17 pick, they shouldn't have to include a whole lot more than that. if the price isn't right I expect Danny to try again this summer.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19